2011 Grand Cherokee - Yes or No? - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-05-2011
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We are in the market for a 4x4 that will do mostly urban driving and some off road (4 times per year).
So not going outback where you have to be self sufficient but wanted a vehicle that was capable of sand and med off road.
Looked at the diesel models for :
  • Nissan - Pathfinder
  • Misubishi - Pajero
  • Toyota - Prado
  • Jeep-Grand cherokee Overlander
The Jeep won hands down,even though the diesel was a site unseen.

Our reasoning was
For drivability and value for money it cant be beat.
The Nissan although very good the finish,room and seat comfort(lack of it) let it down

The Mistsubishi Pajero Platinum was also very good ,good finish ,good value but room in back seat was really the downfall. Value for $ was very good . This was our second choice overall.

The Toyota Prado well I just dont like it !! It wallows,feels like a tank,made me feel sea sick from the bounce and what you get for your $$ is laughable.Why should I pay $95K for everything that I can get similar in a Jeep or Pajero for around $75K .You can see that I am not a Prado lover (I do own another Toyota which I love).I just cant see why they sell so many even with ability to hold retail value ,I just dont see the value. This was not even in the running.

so its Jeep for me ...order in and I cant wait

Anyway these are my personal opionions and I point out I am not a mechanic
Old 30-05-2011
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidveg View Post
We are in the market for a 4x4 that will do mostly urban driving and some off road (4 times per year).
So not going outback where you have to be self sufficient but wanted a vehicle that was capable of sand and med off road.
Looked at the diesel models for :
  • Nissan - Pathfinder
  • Misubishi - Pajero
  • Toyota - Prado
  • Jeep-Grand cherokee Overlander
The Jeep won hands down,even though the diesel was a site unseen.

Our reasoning was
For drivability and value for money it cant be beat.
The Nissan although very good the finish,room and seat comfort(lack of it) let it down

The Mistsubishi Pajero Platinum was also very good ,good finish ,good value but room in back seat was really the downfall. Value for $ was very good . This was our second choice overall.

The Toyota Prado well I just dont like it !! It wallows,feels like a tank,made me feel sea sick from the bounce and what you get for your $$ is laughable.Why should I pay $95K for everything that I can get similar in a Jeep or Pajero for around $75K .You can see that I am not a Prado lover (I do own another Toyota which I love).I just cant see why they sell so many even with ability to hold retail value ,I just dont see the value. This was not even in the running.

so its Jeep for me ...order in and I cant wait

Anyway these are my personal opionions and I point out I am not a mechanic
OK, I'm an owner of a 2002 GC ltd.... and looking outside the brand to replace the car. I also own a Rubicon (and had 3 TJ's)....

BUT, I don't care about the brand any more (a few service issues with the GC), but the fact is I simply can't go past the value and the finish/features of the diesel laredo when they land...

Mitsubishi - feels old, bland
Pathy - over valued, been around for a while now
Prado - overpriced and arrogant!
Grand Cherokee... new and up-to-date, heaps of features

I agree, the Overland is great value... apparently it is equivalent to X5 build/quality.... V8 or Diesel would be the pick.....good luck!

Last edited by jzp; 30-05-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old 30-05-2011
DetroitDemon

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts

gotta admit i love the look of the new grand and the hemi would be brilliant. i thought the hemi has the cylinder shut down technology in it so if you drive normally it will return pretty good milage
Old 30-05-2011
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for that.....I factored in GST / LCT but not the 30% company tax. That fills the void and joins the dots for me.

Now.....can anyone give me some real feedback on litres/100kms for the 5.7 hemi? Seen and read may different opinions but I would like to get some real stats based on real usage by 5.7 users.
Old 30-05-2011
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by exploringJeep View Post
Thanks for that.....I factored in GST / LCT but not the 30% company tax. That fills the void and joins the dots for me.

Now.....can anyone give me some real feedback on litres/100kms for the 5.7 hemi? Seen and read may different opinions but I would like to get some real stats based on real usage by 5.7 users.
forget all that
usa ones are LHD, you can't bring one in LHD anyway regardless of what price.

i just converted a corvette to rhd it cost 50k just for the conversion
Old 31-05-2011
DetroitDemon

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by exploringJeep View Post

personally if you get a hemi i wouldnt be factoring in fuel economy really and it is going to depend how you drive it.
i would be thinking on normal driving around the 14 litre mark

i got a 6.0 SSv and if i drive normally metro city driving i usually end up about 12-13L to the 100km's and about 9.0/100km on highway. Being grand heavier 14-15L mark would be a good ball point if drive normally
Old 31-05-2011
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 98 Times in 67 Posts

Also factor in the fact that fuel costs are minimal. You pay a TONNE more every week in depreciation than you will in fuel on a new car. If you are buying privately and concerned about fuel costs it might be wise to look into the secondhand market.
Post New Thread  Reply