Extreme battery drain - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 18-01-2022
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Boy View Post
Do you have a multi-meter? If so check for a current draw across the fuses with the probe tips inserted in the small hole in the upper corner of each fuse. Any current drop indicates an active circuit.
A quick and dirty check is to feel the Relays, any warm ones might direct you to which relays are still energized with the ignition switched off. Was the TIPM fuel pump issue a problem on this model?
yes i do, several of them and very precise ones, ¿how do you check the drop on the cartridge fuses anwyay?, the top is sealed.

It's hard to check a warm relay when everything is scorching hot in summer

¿tipm fuel pump issue?, i don't recall reading anything of the sort, it's also a very simple system operated by a single relay(and the relay checks out)
Old 19-01-2022
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Factory park sensor is mounted on the dash in the centre above the radio.
Its the black LED strip behind the gauge pod.

Fuse 27 is in that silly cage, you can take the cage off and then you should be able to access the test point on top of the fuse.

CRD's don't have fan relays as they have the factory "tow pac" Hydraulic fan setup powered by the power steering pump.
And no fuel relay issue that I recall in this model

Last edited by Clarky; 19-01-2022 at 12:23 PM.
Old 19-01-2022
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I just checked my current draw and at rest it is .16 amps (160mA)
Open the door and the interior lights jumps it up to about 4 amps.

With just the glove box light on it draws .5 amps so if the switch to turn of the glove box light is not working it will constantly draw .5 amps as it does not go to sleep like the interior lights.

When testing make sure you depress the bonnet alert switch for about 30 seconds for the draw to reach its resting state.
Old 19-01-2022
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 290 Times in 211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamAR View Post
yes i do, several of them and very precise ones, ¿how do you check the drop on the cartridge fuses anwyay?, the top is sealed.

It's hard to check a warm relay when everything is scorching hot in summer

¿tipm fuel pump issue?, i don't recall reading anything of the sort, it's also a very simple system operated by a single relay(and the relay checks out)
You have to prise the cover off if you suspect one these, be careful as they are plastic welded covers.
Maybe park the vehicle in a shaded spot/garage disconnect your battery to save the charge, and wait until later in the evening and reconnect the battery then check the relays after about 30mins or use a laser temp probe.
Old 19-01-2022
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 290 Times in 211 Posts

Mopar TIPM’S were unreliable across a number of corporate models, some dodges, Chryslers and jeeps models were affected.
Most failures caused intermittent fuel pump operation but some caused continuous pump operation.
This model Jeep may no failure mentioned but I would keep it in the back of my mind as the fuel pump has the sort of draw to flatten a battery in the time frame mentioned.
Old 19-01-2022
LokRinger

Liked 1,768 Times in 560 Posts

As I had no glovebox door on for months, the light would be on. But would turn off at the same time as the PCM went to sleep. Can't remember exactly how long that takes but maybe 30 minutes after the ignition was turned off?

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club
Old 10-04-2022
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

kind of late but the draw "solved itself".
Might have to do with the roof drasin being clogged and water leaking all over the interior, might have gotten inside a connector maybe.
After that I've left it sitting for a month and started right up
Post New Thread  Reply