Instructions for installing CB in GC 2011+ - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-04-2012
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Default Instructions for installing CB in GC 2011+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasman View Post
Only ordered in on Thurday so no photos yet. Yep you can mount an external you just need an adapter. I reckon I'm going to get a magnetic base on the roof with a 3 or 5dB whip and just run the cable through the door seals when I'm on a big trip and need the range.

Jasman.
Very interested in seeing photos of your installation, I am looking at fitting a through glass antenna on the passenger side top, I have a friend with this antenna and it works very well.
Old 08-04-2012
Established Member

Liked 22 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewel View Post
Very interested in seeing photos of your installation, I am looking at fitting a through glass antenna on the passenger side top, I have a friend with this antenna and it works very well.
If you go the through glass check out the RFI kit, it comes with a unity (about 15cm) and a 3dB (about 90cm) in the same packet for around the $100 mark. I like this because you just unscrew the big one and use the little one around town to make sure clearance is all good and swap to the big fella when out and about.
Old 08-04-2012
Senior Newbie

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Default Instructions for installing CB in GC 2011+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasman View Post
If you go the through glass check out the RFI kit, it comes with a unity (about 15cm) and a 3dB (about 90cm) in the same packet for around the $100 mark. I like this because you just unscrew the big one and use the little one around town to make sure clearance is all good and swap to the big fella when out and about.
Thanks for the heads up, I will try your recommendation.
Old 29-04-2012
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Followed Marcs footsteps and installed my UHF yesterday.
Some slight differences though.

First of all, I used an ICOM IC-440N because I like ICOM better
This is the same style UHF with remote speaker/microphone and hidden away main unit.

I also used a shorter and flexible 4db antenna from Benelec. I mounted it with a Z bracket from Dick Smith using the existing bolt on the passenger side. Also added the nyloc nut to make sure it stays there. The gap in my GC is very small and the bracket required some creative bending to make it fit but now it does fit nicely with nothing to spare. Also Added some tape to the bracket to protect the paint.

Getting the antenna cable through the firewall was a challenge. Was easy enough to find the big blanking grommet except that on my Overland that is already used for almost a dozen cable bundles and cables. No way I could remove that and very difficult to find some space between the cables to get through.
Finally managed to punch a hole and push the antenna cable through.

I didn't fancy removing the center console panels to get to the cigarette lighter so I took power from the easily accessible pole provided for jump starting at the drivers side of the engine compartment. just taped the wire to the antenna cable and pulled it through the firewall.
This was a very easy way to get clean power direct from the battery.

The main unit was then tucked away behind the carpet on the passenger side. There is some sort of rubbery isolation to the firewall so the main unit cannot move and the rubber prevents rattling.

I brought the mic extension out on the passenger side and fixed it with double sided tape to the side trim. The speaker/mic is fixed to the right of the front console also with double sided tape.

Complete installation took about 4h. Most of it was spent removing the trim below the glovebox and getting through the firewall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cb1.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	54079   Click image for larger version

Name:	cb2.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	54080   Click image for larger version

Name:	cb3.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	54081  
Old 19-05-2012
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Instructions for installing CB

Marc, what does this grommet look like. I have found the pipe (I think) beside a rubber boot containing a cable loom. Is this what you refer to?
Old 19-05-2012
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It is REALLY hard to take a photo, but the best I can do is attached. Looking at the firewall front the front of the vehicle you will see.

1. A big fat cable loom,
2. About 30mm up and to the left, a rubber hose, presumably the headlight washer supply,
3. another 30mm up and to the left, a grommet - in my case it has the antenna wire through it.

This hole is not available on the Overland model.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-05-19 19.28.00.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	54414  
Old 20-05-2012
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Marc. I have found it and used it. I have installed a Uniden UH7760NB. Unit sits nicely mounted vertically in the compartment just above the gear shift console, still leaving plenty of room for other bits and pieces. I had to drill a small hole in the rear of the compartment for the antenna and took power from the cigarette plug in the compartment. Looks neat and can be removed with little evidence of its being there. Thanks again.
Post New Thread  Reply