First drive of the CRD diesel - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-04-2007
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oh and by the way...I do have rocks in my head...thats why I want the JK so I can get over em!
Old 23-04-2007
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by salesguy
Auto's the way to go in the diesel.

I'm surprised that you found it noisy, kiwi, especially after the 2.7. Now, that was one noisy, rough running diesel. Plenty powerful though and very economical.

Are you for real mate...... Do you even own a Jeep, the 2.7 is one of the best diesels made, not as good as the v6 3liter hence why it replaced it!!!!!

Where do you get the Rough from and noise!!! Have you stood next to a 3L Patrol when its Cold Or warm.... Have you had the pleasue of a 4.2lt 100 series pull up next to you..... They shake my house windows when my mates pull up..... Even my friends with D4D 06 Hilux give credit where due... They have all commented on the quiteness and power of the 400nm 5cyl .....

Very interesting comment salesguy...
Old 23-04-2007
AJOR Bronze

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

I can't wait to see the new Rubicon on the trails, they are amazzing....

Tru lock diffs, sway bar disco...... All from the factory That is a step in the right direction......

Good on ya who ever has bought a new JK I think there the Ducks!!
Old 23-04-2007
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

HemiJeepy,

Have you had the pleasure of driving a 100 series 4.2 litre TD? Ive driven a bone stock one and it was quiet and I could not fault it. But you wouldn't want to fault it for the price!
Old 23-04-2007
Time to tinker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 448 Times in 233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi
......I believe the best ever standard allround Jeep manufactured in the past 10 years would have to be the Laredo 2.7 diesel.....
Nope that honour would go to the Hemi 6.1SRT - THIS is the engine they SHOULD fit to the JK.
Even a regular Hemi....or even the old 5.9 that the Yanks got with the ZJ would rank up there.....
OK I like V8's....but i'd buy a diesel.....if it came in a V8
Old 23-04-2007
AJOR Bronze

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigrig
HemiJeepy,

Have you had the pleasure of driving a 100 series 4.2 litre TD? Ive driven a bone stock one and it was quiet and I could not fault it. But you wouldn't want to fault it for the price!

Sure have, driven a brand new One and my mates dad has one, factory Turbo with 150,000kms, I love them Im not paying them out at all.... Just saying that salesguy reckons the 2.7lt is loud and rough????????

I was saying no "ruffer" then a Cruiser or Patrol, I thought the Jeep was a fair bit quiter from the inside, but my point was too salesguy what was he basing his comment on the 2.7

They are a beautiful engine..... And like you said about the price, much cheaper then a cruiser...

The 2.7 as everyone knows is a merc engine, made for and fitted to the E class diesel E270 thats $100,000 worth of German metal and the ML270 like wise at $80,000.... Now I don't think Charles from Mossman Park is going to fork out $100,000 For a LOUD and ROUGH engine in there new Merc
Old 23-04-2007
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default First drive of the CRD diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by doe818
Interesting...

I have a manual diesel on order. I've only ever had diesels and some of the older ones have been very noisy and clunky and any newer engine for me has been better than the last. In the end, the noise doesn't bother me anyway. But what you say about the performance being poor I find a bit confusing because it is still a 130kw engine which is significantly higher than the new Patrol 3.0 at 118kw for eg. I conceed there will be differences in how/where that power and torque is available, n/less it should still be superior to the patrol given the extra power and weight advantages in the JK. I hear the electronic throttle takes a while to get used to, perhaps that has something to do with the initial feeling of poor performance? It sure felt strange when I test drove the V6. Also, its worth keeping in mind that all diesels improve as they wear in, my current cruiser took nearly 100000km's before it settled down. Perhaps our fuel has something to do with it as well, I think our sulphur content is higher than europe so perhaps the ecu needs an updated flash? Overall, I can't see it being that bad compared to other similar application engines out there.

As far as the other concerns go re plastic etc, it is a wrangler after all, if you're after flawless finishing etc then suggest you look at a volvo.
...It all sounds a little scary with some pretty extreme views on both sides of the fence. I've yet to drive a manual V6 but was pretty unimpressed with the auto version in the two door. I too..would like to head in the way of the CRD but the feed back swings from 'bloody marvellous'...'ducks g***' etc to 'woeful'... 'rough' and dare I say it 'underpowered'. Perhaps it's just horses for courses but stepping across from a Grand Cherokee to a Wrangler I myself would be expecting a drop in refinement. The Wrangler after all has to preserve a level of it's 'agricultural heritage' to be the car it is. I've driven an 80 series 4 litre (4.2 ?) turbo diesel and while it had heaps of torque..it was incredibly unresponsive when compared to my TJ at the time. I'm currently in a '01 petrol KJ that's gone up a tire size and while it performs o.k. ..it doesn't impress when compared to a LWB Pajero diesel I drove last year. I'm hoping for a similar difference in performance by going to a CRD JK...but it seems I may be dissappointed. Without all the sound deadening material, insulation, permanent hard top etc..I'd be expecting the JK to be a little noisier.. but rougher... ? Looks like it will be a love hate relationship... I'll just have to wait and see. The fuel capacity is annoying though when compared to the Japanese options. I'd imagine the Unlimited has room for an after market tank..but being keen on the two door.. is there any light on the horizon ?
Post New Thread  Reply