WH Roof Rack Issues & Limitations - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 24-10-2009
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

No irvs351 mine don't look like that, Jeep seem to make it up as they go along, this happens to wheels, bumpers and now roof racks right throughout the WH range - what year is the Hemi?

Mine sit a lot closer to the roof in the way they mount and are a real bugger to mount a basket onto, yours will be a breeze, spread them as far apart as you can and you'll be able to put a 1600mm X 1200MM Rhino basket on easily.

When you have your basket on the roof lift up the rear door and make sure you have clearance before adding the U-bolts.
The front of the rack should finish about half way along the sunroof - a small price to pay, my sunroof has been open twice in the last six months - to lubricate it!

The other option is to get the small one (1200x900) like I did and then sold it again to get the bigger rack, check it out on some of the roof basket /roof rack websites.

Chumby sounds good mate, can it fit a Rhino roof bag? They're a great asset to keep things dry and hidden from view!

Last edited by johnv; 24-10-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 25-10-2009
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My WH is 2007 but I bought the rails from a dealer in Brisbane that advertises on here in mid 2008 when he posted a special.

Lukey 3" exhaust, LT265/75R17 BFG AT's and more mods to come
Old 25-10-2009
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yes, I've seen them on their website, same as yours, good lookin' functional bars.
Old 25-10-2009
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Most of you will already know this. I once had the chance of discussing the roof max weight issue with knowledgeable Jeep Factory technichian, he stated of record of course that the grand was quite capable of carrying much more weight on the roof, but limit was set with USA lawers in mind with the mad sueing over there & a lot of customer just put loads of shit on there roof with out any consideration the safety comments already stated in this thread
Old 25-10-2009
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There is another thing to be aware of. I came across another WH owner here in Kalgoorlie who had a spare wheel roof rack made up due to his long range tank. He told me that the side rails as there not made square on the top. So a while after he mounted carrier it pulled the side rails out of the roof. Very expensive mistake. He had to have the wheel carrier ends modified to about 10 degrees slope to the outside. You will see this if you look closely at the side rails.

Lukey 3" exhaust, LT265/75R17 BFG AT's and more mods to come
Old 25-10-2009
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Default Jeep Roof Rack

Interesting topic to me as I'm looking at getting a roof rack soon. Does anyone have the factory Jeep roof rack? I'm looking at getting a roof rack to gain a bit more space. The alloy Rhino one looks good, not sure which way to go.
Old 25-10-2009
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts

Bazza,

I have them on my WG at the moment... have had a supercheap basket attached as well... have looked at the rhino stuff as well... but in the end the alluminiumm racks in the states seem the best way to go. Check out jeepforum.com and look at the racks they are packing there...

Cheers
Chumby