JK: Wilf's - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-01-2012
Discombobulation express

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Had a good look through the thread mate! I really prefer the look of your TJM snork over other bonnet entry style ones, I must say. I don't suppose that you have any measurements for the drawer/storage unit you fabbed up? You've done some very smart & essential work nice & early! I shall be ripping off your ideas for my own vehicle- when jeep actually make it & deliver it!
Old 12-01-2012
Established Member

Liked 97 Times in 53 Posts

Great idea on the pump mount spot, just came to that conclusion last night, after seeing this I know what I'm up to this weekend
Old 13-01-2012
CrawlerStar

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Hi Guys,

Yes after looking around we also preferred the TJM.
Will put up some measurements once I get my act together shortly.
Most of the info for my mods came from research on this forum so I am glad other members can find them useful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucafer View Post
Had a good look through the thread mate! I really prefer the look of your TJM snork over other bonnet entry style ones, I must say. I don't suppose that you have any measurements for the drawer/storage unit you fabbed up? You've done some very smart & essential work nice & early! I shall be ripping off your ideas for my own vehicle- when jeep actually make it & deliver it!
Yes a great place for the pump and one less item have in the draw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walldog View Post
Great idea on the pump mount spot, just came to that conclusion last night, after seeing this I know what I'm up to this weekend
Old 30-01-2012
CrawlerStar

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default Firestone Coil-Rite airbags

Fitted some Firestone Coil-Rite airbags in the Lovells.

Purchased from All Air Suspension as they do not make a standard kit for the 2” lift so had to send them some measurements and they made up a kit for me.

Found some small brackets (I think they came out of a server rack) that worked well for the valves.

Old 16-04-2012
CrawlerStar

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default Transmission cooler over rear diff

As we are doing a lot of towing (1200KG camper trailer) we decided it would be a good idea to upgrade to a quality transmission cooler as the factory one does work but under extreme conditions it would not cope. Excessive heat in your transmission will shorten the time before a rebuild is required so in real terms you can save a lot of money depending on how you use your JK.

We read about this setup on the forum and asked the guy if he could supply some photos but never received a reply. Checked out all the dimensions and did some further research and all looked like it would work.

Ordered the Derale part # 15800 from Summit Racing in the US and it was around $260 AU delivered, from my research locally most were around $500+ at the time Dec 2010.
Specs taken from the Derale web site
Overall Height (in) 11.500 in.
Overall Width (in) 15.750 in.
Overall Thickness (in) 5.000 in.
Cooler Construction Tube and fin
Cooler Material Copper/Aluminium
Fan Quantity Single
Maximum Fan CFM 650 cfm
Fan Diameter (in) 10.000 in.
Inlet Size -8 AN
Inlet Attachment Male threads
Outlet Size -8 AN
Outlet Attachment Male threads
Number of Cooling Rows 16
Core Height (in) 10.000 in.
Core Width (in) 12.375 in.
Core Thickness (in) 1.750 in.
Cooler Finish Black painted
Quantity Sold as a kit.
Notes Includes two (2) -8AN to 1/2 in. hose barb adaptors. For use on vehicles up to 25,000 GVW.

Once I received it I jumped under the JK to check for size and it looked like a great fit but would be tight.

Also intending to add a Long Ranger HD tank so I talk to a couple of ARB installers about this and they suggested getting it done at the same time.

My intension was to install the cooler myself but ran out of time as we wanted it in before our Simpson Desert trip. Had it installed at Traction 4 in Artarmon and it took longer than expected but they ended up doing a great job.

As you can see in one of the photos I left the original cooler tubing in place and just sealed it off with rubber hose and some clamps. We have a relay under the bonnet on the driver’s side so if I want to stop the fan for deep water crossings we can just pull the relay out, came in handy when we crossed the Eyre creek.

Considering the JK was still under warranty it was recommended we put some good quality fittings on the cut tubing coming out of the transmission and I think it was worth it for peace of mind.

Not sure of the exact hose size used but looks like 8mm but that will depend on what size barb connectors you use anyway.

The hose is ran up the top of the tunnel and along the top edge of the main fuel tank. We did consider putting in some spacers to increase the gap between the cooler and the floor as it is only around a 10mm gap but it seems to work well the way it is.

Will install a temperature sensor soon then I will be able to get a better idea of how well it is working.

Since the install and posting these details we have done over 20,000kms and all has worked very well. Before the install I could get the water temperature gauge to rise going up certain hills in hot weather very easily but now I can just keep powering on so I think it has taken a lot of heat out from under the bonnet.

Just a few photos below.

Fitting at the rear on the cooler

New fittings pointing to the rear and old plumbing sealed

Relay
Old 14-06-2012
Discombobulation express

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I don't know if I am remembering from another thread elsewhere but wouldn't it be a top idea to plumb your power steering line through the cooler that your auto no longer uses?
Post New Thread  Reply