Is the Grand really a Aussie 4WD? - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-07-2011
asp_777
Visitor

Remember - no matter what you have - they are ALL just nuts and bolts.
As far as parts, I have ALWAYS got to my door a part in less than 4 days ) and that's to my Door from USA. Even had a part shipped while on holiday and never took more than 4 days. I always had the option to use express which would make it faster.
Perhaps some have had more problems than others but I've been "good" to my Grand and it repays. Treating it and maintaining any vehicle is paramount
Old 01-07-2011
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think that it is more the electrickery that is the worry than the nuts and bolts.

Saying that, I just completed a 6000k round trip through outback SA in my JK without even a hicup. If you worry too much about the vehicles reliability then you would never leave your lounge room
Old 01-07-2011
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Its really more of a question about old simple to fix vs new electickery isnt it ?!
I dont believe the jeeps are any less reliable or harder to fix, parts availability isnt as good in Aus but is excellent from US.That said parts avail for new models ,any brand, isnt good.The new toyota v8 diesel is currently having a LOT of reliability issues & if you go a nissan patrol with the 3L diesel then your asking for trouble.The discos & rangies are allergic to water, the new navaras & pathfinders have sumps designed to get split on rocks,so tell me what NEW 4wd do you reckon is bush ready?
Old 01-07-2011
Established Member

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

Thanks for the thoughts.

I think the new Mitsubishi Challenger comes close to being bush ready. Good value for money considering a $40K LS drive away price when supply improves again.

Not as sexy inside as the jeep but very capable.
Old 01-07-2011
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts

This may go close.
Old 01-07-2011
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Challenger is just a low spec pajero. They have good strong driveline & are generally fairly reliable.Off-road capability is fairly average except on sand where they go alright.The petrol engines tend to wear valve guides pretty quickly which results in some oil burning & arent great on economy but the disels are generalkly very good.The newer all indepndant suspension models look a lot more exposed to damage underneath tho.
Old 01-07-2011
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Have driven the GC V8 and absolutely love it , great power , smooth and very quite , took a Toyota Prado diesel for a test drive today and was not impressed, lots of lag. very noisy, and the seats were hard and suspension was not as smooth as the Grand ,just didn't do it for me .
From a fuel cost point, the V8 will end up costing me around $ 2000 extra in fuel based on 25k per year. for me its worth the pleasure to have the grunt.

Driving the V8, smiling all the way.
Post New Thread  Reply