Our camper build - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > ASSOCIATED INTERESTS > Camper Trailers and Caravans
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-01-2010
TerraFlexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Keep it going,

gr8 ideas need to be shared ... would be interested in the weight and proposed weight including ball weight ...

Thanks.

"Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life!"
2 Door Red Rock Renegade.
Old 13-01-2010
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 126 Times in 88 Posts

I will be weighing it when it is finished (not that something like this is ever finished) including ball weight so I will let you know.
Old 13-01-2010
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

neat idea to solve your problem with out selling the house isone simailar to this in the 4wd action 141 but it pulled by a patrol and the HAD the roll out awning till it unfurled at 100ks
happy camping
Old 13-01-2010
Yeah I bought another one

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 93 Times in 58 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Im no structural engineer but..
A couple of things to keep in mind with your mods to the van.
The frame strength is reinforced by having large areas of cladding to brace the framework, so when cutting doors and ext access ensure you frame around and re-bond the cladding both glue and rivets.
The chassis will be asked to take more loads in directions that it wasn't designed to if used off road, even the pics you have posted - not extreme for the Jeep may be more than the van wants to endure over time. Consider adding extra bracing to the chassis particularly the spring hangers and the draw-bar. Most decent campers engineered for off road will have the draw-bar extend further into the chassis.
The mods so far sound like major improvements and it looks like a comfy family camper.
Keep us posted on the improvements.
1x Jeep trailers.
1x Empty Wallet.
Old 14-01-2010
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 126 Times in 88 Posts

CJ4a nz
I did see that one in the mag and the damage to his awning is thru incorrect use, if stored in the roll up position they cannot unroll as you travel down the road

Gildo
I know what your saying but have been building and modifying caravans for over six years. This particular van is made from sandwich panel so it doesn't have an internal frame like normal vans do, the walls are ply,foam sheeting and aluminium all glued together, even so I did frame around the door openings to give a little extra strength and one of the reasons I brought this van is that it has quite a good chassis without being to stiff. A problem a lot of people don't know about is that vans have a lot of flex built in and if you take that flex out then they will brake apart from being to stiff. I will keep updating as work progresses as we still have a few mods to go if anyone has any suggestions or want's pics on anything let me know.
Old 14-01-2010
Yeah I bought another one

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 93 Times in 58 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Sounds like you are already on the right track.
Sandwich panel a great product for this kind of project.
Good point re the chassis, too stiff can be a problem too.

I'll let you know if I have any other pearls of wisdom
1x Jeep trailers.
1x Empty Wallet.
Old 16-01-2010
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Mate, that looks great. I've designed my own "teardrop/tvan" but your method could be an easier option. I'll be very interested to know the final weight and costs if that's okay? To strip it out internally and start again makes it a very flexible solution.

The doorway access step looks like a possible clearance problem. Any ideas to raise the floor and make an external fold out step or similar? What brand and size are the access hatches? I am hunting for some of those.

Good luck and keep up the great work!