xj transmision cooler lines crushed Help! - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-11-2010
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED097 View Post
I just had Enzed come out to my house and replace the lines with high preasure hoses for $165

I went the DIY method like carvesdodo and they leaked after a long day out wheeling.

Excellent .... Someone who has had a problem.

How much hose did you have fitted over the original pipe fittings ??

Is the oil cooler in good nick ... not likely to be blocked a bit ??

Was it tranny line hose or did the countersales bozo give you something else ??

Any chance the hoses were snagged now and then while in the scrub ??

Which side of the tacho does the needle live on when you're out wheeling ??

Some insight into why it didnt work for you would be good info for anybody thinking about a DIY repair.

Last edited by carvesdodo; 03-11-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03-11-2010
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I did the DIY job at first with at least 3" of pipe inside transmission hose on each side fitted with two clams on each end. But using the same old cooler that came with the jeep.
Noticed oil leaking from the transmission side of things. So I replace the transmission cooler while I had the radiator out and flushed with a larger cooler, brand new, that I picked up at Repco. I called Enzed and they came out that day and fitted new hoses and have not had a drop of oil or over heating since and that was about 5 years ago.
If you do own an XJ it is a must that you do carry transmission hose just in case. The hose works heaps better than the orig******** set up.
Old 18-12-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Same problem

I just noticed I've done the same thing on mine. My suspension has flexed up and crushed the upper transmission line when I had the swaybars disconnected.

I might try the DIY option and replace them with a 10mm hose like Carves has done. The hose is $12 metre and the clamps are only a couple of dollars each.

If I cut the metal pipe somewhere close to the gearbox and slip the new hose over the end could I run it up over the engine mount and connect it straight onto the metal elbow at the bottom of the radiator?

Last edited by Oli-dogg; 18-12-2010 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Went outside and had a look under the car.
Old 18-12-2010
CrawlerStar

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

If you can get hold of a tube flarer.Just lightly flare the tube then push on the hose and use two clamps. Once the hose is on there, there is nearly no chance of it coming off and will allow the hose to mould on the tube and prevent leaks.
Old 24-12-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisXJ View Post
If you can get hold of a tube flarer.Just lightly flare the tube then push on the hose and use two clamps. Once the hose is on there, there is nearly no chance of it coming off and will allow the hose to mould on the tube and prevent leaks.
Thanks Chris, I bought myself a pipe cutter and tube flarer kit and gave this a go today. The hose went on very tight at both ends and I used 3 hose clamps just to make sure it's not coming off in a hurry.

I did it underneath the car with it all still connected up and the front wheels up on ramps and lost very little transmission fluid. I routed the new hose up past the oil filter and over the engine mount.

I took some advice from Carves (via PM) and joined the hose to the pipes just forward of the bell housing mounting bracket so the factory piping is still secure at two points rather than flapping about off the side of the gearbox. I also fitted a bracket on a sump bolt to keep the hoses out of the way of the control arm (another tip from Carves).

I removed the aux fan and battery to make it a bit easier to get my fingers onto the connection at the radiator.

I'll see how it goes now, hopefully I won't find any leaks.

Last edited by Oli-dogg; 30-12-2010 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Transmission hose off Ebay was no good.
Old 24-12-2010
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

it works good just make shore you fix your bump stops our you will do it again at full flex the top arm will still get the hose
Old 30-12-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch in a Jeep View Post
it works good just make shore you fix your bump stops our you will do it again at full flex the top arm will still get the hose
Thanks Butch in a Jeep, I have a couple of hockey pucks glued inside the base of the coil springs but the metal bump stop itself doesn't have a cap covering it (I thought this was normal until someone pointed out part of my bump stop is missing). Anyone got a picture of what it should look like and can I put them in without removing the springs - will they squish between the spaces in the coil?

Is it possible to run the transmission hose so it is completely out of reach of the control arm at full flex? I'm about to go out and redo mine now with some new hose (the hose I used the first time failed because it had two layers to it and the flare I made on the metal pipe cut through the first layer).
Post New Thread  Reply