Satans Sauna - engine bay JK - Fix - Hunty - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-12-2010
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Smile Is my hole big enough - LoL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaComms View Post
Looks great. Would love to see a pic from the front with it on the right way (the right way for vent I mean!)

Do you think the hole is the bonnet is big enough? Would there be any point in making it larger to let more air out or is it already pretty much the same size as the opening in the vent?
As always seacomms you ask exceptionally good questions!

Hmmmm perhaps the hole could be bigger it certainly is not yet the same area as the mesh! - I struggled to cut out the hole as it was - there is something programmed into me that just doesnt want to cut up my JK!!!!!!!! LoL

I will monitor the temp under the bonnet this summer (if we ever get summer) and try to compare it to what it was like wheelin last year to evaluate the improvements (if any).

I am prepared to enlarge the hole (I guess ) if I think there can be more gains made.

Last year it was so hot under there! - I went to top up my washer fluid and I always keep a bottle of bugz off or whatever to mix in with the water and Bugg@r me - it had melted! and I could not get the lid off so i had to stab it with my pocket knife and pour it all in!

Its so hot under there I cannot physically touch the Battery WTF?

just took a pic from the front - cheers Hunty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep Scoop.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	44282  

Last edited by hunty; 02-12-2010 at 02:41 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 02-12-2010
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Looking good mate, i was thinking doing something similar to the TJ to rid some heat, but don't fancy cutting it up though.
Old 02-12-2010
RubiconSlammer

Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Looks tough there Hunty

Contrary to popular belief facing the scoop backwards will not necessarily cause airflow through the engine bay, it may but not in the way you were expecting.

The base of a car windshield is actually a high pressure area and won't allow air to flow out through the scoop. Look at old SLR Toranas and VH Brock Commodores with the fitted scoops for example these use the high pressure to actually force air into the induction system. Who knows it might even be far enough forward to avoid the high pressure area.

Hunty you may be in fact forcing air into the engine bay from the top, it may cool it down some but as to how effective it is, you might have to do some testing.

Let us know how you go.

Last edited by JasperJ; 02-12-2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-12-2010
Full Flexer

Smile Crazy air flow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJ View Post
Looks tough there Hunty

Contrary to popular belief facing the scoop backwards will not necessarily cause airflow through the engine bay, it may but not in the way you were expecting.

The base of a car windshield is actually a high pressure area and won't allow air to flow out through the scoop. Look at old SLR Toranas and VH Brock Commodores with the fitted scoops for example these use the high pressure to actually force air into the induction system. Who knows it might even be far enough forward to avoid the high pressure area.

Hunty you may be in fact forcing air into the engine bay from the top, it may cool it down some but as to how effective it is, you might have to do some testing.

Let us know how you go.
G'day Jasper
Thankyou for your insightful info - I have just returned from aerodynamic tests

I attached some thin strips of paper to the scoop to try and discover what was happeneing re air flow and you are 100% correct with respect to "The base of a car windshield is actually a high pressure area and won't allow air to flow out through the scoop" the airflow changes dramatically depending on speed!

Heres my new theory - I want the hot air to escape when Im wheelin - in low range - low speed - I think this may work!

wheather or not I have screwed up the airflow @110kph on the freeway I still have a hole in my bonnet so - I will test this towing a car trailer next week (hopefully on a hot day) and if I have i will install under the bonnet a little cat flap that I can close for freeway use and open for wheelin!

Thanx mate
cheers Hunty
Old 02-12-2010
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 121 Times in 64 Posts

dont let carves see this thread (search bonnet vents in the xj section and you will understand).
Old 02-12-2010
AJOR Silver

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Cant you just pull i off and reaply it facing forward? should be right then

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunty View Post
G'day Jasper
Thankyou for your insightful info - I have just returned from aerodynamic tests

I attached some thin strips of paper to the scoop to try and discover what was happeneing re air flow and you are 100% correct with respect to "The base of a car windshield is actually a high pressure area and won't allow air to flow out through the scoop" the airflow changes dramatically depending on speed!

Heres my new theory - I want the hot air to escape when Im wheelin - in low range - low speed - I think this may work!

wheather or not I have screwed up the airflow @110kph on the freeway I still have a hole in my bonnet so - I will test this towing a car trailer next week (hopefully on a hot day) and if I have i will install under the bonnet a little cat flap that I can close for freeway use and open for wheelin!

Thanx mate
cheers Hunty
Old 02-12-2010
Full Flexer

Smile Don't let Carves see this! LoL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj69 View Post
dont let carves see this thread (search bonnet vents in the xj section and you will understand).

Ok I just found Carves post http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...highlight=vent

What an epic & exhaustive investigation, I bow before his awesomeness!!!!!

thanx for the heads up kj69
cheers Hunty
Post New Thread  Reply