China has banned importing of JK Wrangler due to concern of fire - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-04-2011
DetroitDemon

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

i think that used to be the case but is not really so anymore.

anything the chinese have been using in recent years to sell to the world market has been licensed by the original manufacturers.

The japanese and european manufacturers love selling their old model designs if someone will buy them. Is a great way to make a bit of cash - afterall, they will no longer be making that much money from them as they're discontinued models.
Old 11-04-2011
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklad View Post
Yeah, & you know what will happen next. They'll spend the next few years pulling apart and studying a few JKs they've bought solely for that purpose, and will then release a poorly copied clone with a Chinese maker's badge on it. Exactly what they've done with everything else; encourage Sony, Phillips, Reebok, VW, etc to set up factories there, steal their designs and manufacturing processes, and then start selling inferior Chinese clones at a third the price.

Remember the $60 Chinese-branded microwaves they were selling at K-mart a few years ago (looked real nice, full brushed stainless steel cabinet, how on earth could they afford to sell them that cheaply?) that would stop working exactly 1 week after the year's warranty expired. Or the new Cherry small car that strangely shares much of it's design parameters and measurements with the VW Polo without any of the VW's superior safety, refinement or performance/handling features. They've already cloned the Isuzu & Toyota utes & morphed them into the 1-star ANCAP Great Wall ute; now it's time to focus on adding a "SUV lifestyle vehicle" to their lineup, but first get rid of the original JK from the local market so the Chinese buyers cant compare the Great Wall "KJ Spangler" with the real thing and see how inferior it really is.

It wouldn't be hard for them to clone the Wrangler either; half the JKs components are made in China.
the chinese produced car may stop working 1 week after warranty expires, but jeeps often stop working one week after delivery. fair go!!
Old 11-04-2011
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

How come no else seems to be sprouting about the fires? Would have thought it would all over forums everywhere? Out of all the countries importing them, plus the local US market it's almost laughable the Chinese would stop them due to safety concerns..

We will prob never find out the real reason, but US trade deals would be my guess. Since they already have alternative that sell for bugger all over here, they would have to be heaps cheaper again over there compared to a Jeep, so I dont think competition would be a worry to them.

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 11-04-2011
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts

The chinese are in joint ventures with most vehicle makers ... a little googling will explain how they get to build replicas of older, out of date models.

As for banning burning JKs .... shoulda happened here too ... maybe even with earlier models ...... Might have made chrysler pull their finger out and address the issue properly & promptly before sales could resume.

.... and as someone mentioned above ... lots of trade issues between US & china ATM .... so theres probably also a little bit of tit for tat happening.
Old 12-04-2011
AJOR Bronze

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaComms View Post
We will prob never find out the real reason, but US trade deals would be my guess. Since they already have alternative that sell for bugger all over here, they would have to be heaps cheaper again over there compared to a Jeep, so I dont think competition would be a worry to them.
Hardly. Jeep only sold about 7000 JK in the past 3 yrs in China (about 2,000 per yr), rather insignificant in a car market is bigger than U.S. (in 2009 alone, China sold about 13,500,000 new vehicles). If its for trade issue, banning GM or Ford would make more sense. JK isn't cheap in China either, RRP around AUD 70,000. Pretty much the same price as a local made BMW 5xx. (in comparison, Greatwall ute is priced at around $AUD 20,000 in china)

Last time when China and US investigated the same matter, ended up forcing Jeep to issue a recall. Instead of improving cooling on the auto trans, jeep patch the computer, so that it prompts you when its about to overheat.
Old 12-04-2011
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Just re-reading the details, they have stopped import of NEW vehicles until the 2008-2010 overheating auto is fixed - the one already fixed by a recall...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysler
'Chrysler Group is cooperating fully with China’s General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine to identify and fix 2008-2010 model-year Jeep® Wrangler SUVs equipped with automatic transmissions and sold in China.
In February 2010, Chrysler issued a global recall to address a potential for transmission fluid to overheat and expel onto hot surfaces that could pose a fire hazard.
The conditions were linked to extreme and/or abusive driving conditions under rigorous off-road conditions.
Outside of China, Chrysler Group is not aware of any vehicle fires related to this condition once the recall was completed.
Chrysler Group is not aware of any injuries or accidents due to this condition.'
Given the "quality" of so much of the chinese made stuff thrust onto the rest of the world I find it so hard to believe this is the real reason.

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 12-04-2011
DetroitDemon

Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

chrysler designed and produced something which has a severe design flaw. they should be forced to fix it. it is awesome that the chinese are doing so.
Post New Thread  Reply