Tuning an XJ Cherokee 4.0 - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 27-06-2011
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

400k in an xj out of a tank of petrol is not too bad
Old 27-06-2011
Head Honcho

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,177 Times in 710 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj downunder View Post
400k in an xj out of a tank of petrol is not too bad
Getting about 430km with stock rubber.

Also epic water crossing photo there!!

www.ausjeepoffroad.com
Old 27-06-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I'd recommend you change you O2 sensors after you've sorted out the exhaust (go with a quality high flow catalytic converter)
Old 28-06-2011
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts

My dad recently drove from Bundy to Cairns in his 95 classic, he reckons he was getting somewhere beween 20-22 mpg.That's unloaded, stock rubber and only mods have been a straight through exhaust.He was cruising at about 120k's most of the time too.

I'm gonna be brining my XJ down in a couple of weeks ( I hope) which will be fully loaded with all my worldly possessions.This will be my first big trip in it. It's stocko too so will be interesting to see what mileage I get.I'll let you guys know how I go. I'm budgeting 300k's per tank @ $100 a tank, worst case senario.
Old 28-06-2011
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 125 Times in 99 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

If you are running the 31's without changing the speedo gear your fuel calcs will be out as will your speedo, which also throws out when it locks up the torque converter for better fuel efficiancy. Being muddies won't help either. Work out what tooth number you need here http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoSpeedoGears.htm & then get yourself one from here http://www.transmissioncenter.org/sp...e_and_jeep.htm I had one delivered for abot AU$45.
When I went from the original 225/70/15 on my limited to 30's the speedo was reading about 5kmh slow @100kmh. Now reads bang on with 30's & the correct speedo gear as checked with my GPS. This is a good place to start before chasing economy gains.
Old 02-07-2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Speedo gear was changed when we installed the muddies so I know it's right. Havent had time to nor will I until probably cup weekend to even look into a new exhaust but that is first on the cards but more mods are being planned due to an up coming trip to the USA so I'm going to try and get a better lift kit for it and anything else I can find that would help with the economy/power. It all comes down to time and money. When you have the time you don't have the money and when you have the money you don't have the time.
Old 03-07-2011
MonsterMoose

Liked 606 Times in 359 Posts

Hi Nicho any reason why you won't go LPG. I installed it and it costs me half of what it did previously. I get 310km -330km per 63L of gas and at 63.9 it is almost $1 per litre less. I have no mods other than 2" lift and 235/75s ATs. I have gone from $150-$160 per week of premium to $70-$80 per week of gas. I have not tuned the engine for 18 months other than the gas tune, which was free for the first one and will be $25 every six months each time after that. I had little choice. Other than close my business and buy a 4cyl or get gas.

regards A
Post New Thread  Reply