Switching from Toyota Kluger - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-06-2011
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruzenvax View Post
Thanks to all for responding,

I'm going to post in 2 parts now. 1st part is what kind of car I need (perhaps it will help to understand some of my questions) and why am I ditching Kluger.

I'm not an offroad person (or have been so far). I was looking for a big family tourer with good onroad drive, enough storage, all these small gizmos, ability to tow my 2t boat, awd/4wd for safety and ramp work and - as I travel on unpaved roads from time to time - ability to keep going confidently, when after 10km's on unpaved road I encounter that single bump a sedan or wagon can't handle. Reliability is also a key. I don't need a 7-seater at all.

Kluger ticked all boxes. I know there is an opinion that the ride is boring, but it (onroad) was OK to me (what should I expect from Jeep then). Fuel economy is also OK. Never had a serious onroad fail - e.g. when I have to stop, call the rescue, etc. There are some small issues - like not all gizmos I wanted are there, handbrake is too weak for the ramp work... but I can deal with that.

The main problem for me is build quality. I lost counts of various recalls; well, the legal term is not necessary a recall, but it is when I receive a nice letter suggesting that I need to bring the car to the dealership. Interior build quality is also poor - a lot of panels were squeaking, rattling, etc and has to be re-fitted.

So that is why I'm switching and Jeep GC Overlander (5.7 or diesel, can;t decide for myself) seem to be a replacement. So thanks and I'm looking formward to see comments.

Questions will follow.

Thanks
Seriously..........keep the Kluger.
Jeep dont to factory recalls...... they have a track record of sticking their head in the sand, and making customers pay for what should be recall upgrades/fixes.
Toyota reliability (and probably resale) will poo all over jeep.

You dont want to wheel it offroad, so stick to the Kluger. It does everything you want it to and you've alreay dropped $$ in depreciation. Keep it.

Apparently the new GC's are better, but build quality and Jeep are not 2 (3?) works you would have previously heard much in the same sentence.

Sorry.

Last edited by Richo; 04-06-2011 at 08:36 PM.
Old 05-06-2011

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Havign ordered a CG Overlan CRD, I am hopeful that Jeep are a better company under Fiat. We are getting out of a Territory Turbo Ghia and before that a Kluger.
The GC is a great car in all aspects. They have been out in the USA for 12 months, so there is some history about the model. Reading forums always puts a bad slant on problems, as people will post a problem, not a compliment.
I think you would be very hard pressed to find a better car under $100k. It will do what you want and will hopefully bring a better resale when the time comes to trade. You may want to wait until next month when the Diesel (CRD) model is released. The price will be about the same as a Hemi, but it is a great motor.
Old 05-06-2011
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

Toyota might do recalls but they still treat there customer like sh!t i've had dealings with them and know people that still work there and if you gave me Toyota i would sell it.

I've had no major problems with Jeep, they suplied all parts for my swirl motor
and the it was out of warranty (try that at Toyota) and have always found them fare and resonable. Toyota is over priced,over rated and rely on a faulse reputation based on people that just keep buying them because they don't look outside the square (or is that sheep pen).

My '06 Grand is the best all round thing i've owned and at the time was the most powerfull CRD 4wd under $100k it took the 200 LC to be more powerfull and they still use more fuel and oil than a my Jeep.

And with all the money i saved buying a Jeep i was able to kit it out to my requiments, have a better truck and still have change.

"Such Is Life"
Old 05-06-2011
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks to all for the feedback.

Richo, thanks for the opinion, if Jeep/your experience is like that - it is somehow discouraging and may be a showstopper for me.

drj33p and ENFORCER, thanks as well, your point is also taken; I honestly hope that this is the case with the new Jeep.

I'm happy to wait for the diesel - and this is my MAIN question I'll certainly need some help with (below)

I took the car (limited upgraded to this air suspension thing and 5.7 hemi) for a short test drive yesterday. It went very well; the only 2 problems - really strange position of a handbrake (foot brake?) pedal and inability for the rear seat passenger (She, Who Makes the Decision) to control the aircon (in the Kluger there are controls available to back seat passengers).

BUT: It was 5.7 hemi and the dynamics/performance (acceleration, etc) were OK but not extremely crisp (not a sports car of course). Very much OK to me; but, CRD as far as I understand, has less kW/torque than hemi. So, does this mean that is the same car is just OK with hemi it will feel underpowered under the diesel? Very critical info for me, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 05-06-2011
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 121 Times in 64 Posts

im thinking you would prefer a range rover.
Old 05-06-2011
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts

I have two Jeeps I have had a Paj a Prado and an assortment of older bunky 4wds
My 2007 JK has had no failures and I wheel it all the time off road, it has 137000 ks and I have had regular servicing with a only a few warranty issues. Currently I need to do a clock spring which may not be cheep depending on how it gets sourced
I have the new Limited GC with quadralift (V6 Petrol) and it is simply awsome on road and will be our Exmouth drive car on our north west fishing trips. The build is markedly improved just to look at under the bonnet. Twin fire walls (Very mercedes) with some smart upgrades. I love driving it. I know there are a few that hate Jeep and would never buy another one, but I have to say I am a Jeep convert and I have never enjoyed driving so much as I do now. To hell with the small farty crap that people get cought up on... Life is getting shorter every day. On the resale... MY GC was much cheaper than the Prado with all the same fruit minus some so not a big deal for me. For me its what you want to drive, its at least a 4 year snapshot from your life dont compromise how you want to live it or drive it.
Good luck - I hope you get as much fun as I had
Old 05-06-2011
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj69 View Post
im thinking you would prefer a range rover.
That same thought crossed my mind.

But back to Jeeps - is it or is it not fair comment to say that the Jeep diesels are more problematic than the Jeep V8s?
Post New Thread  Reply