Please HELP! ASAP tyre related - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-08-2011
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 606 Times in 359 Posts

From what I was told when I was looking at replacing the old Wranglers that BFGs are good but there are some disavantages. In the BFG AT series they are quite square so can make driving on bitty a little more harder. The squarer side walls can make turning a little harder and they may tend to follow lines on the road more (eg repaired bits). Although that is probably a good thing on sand as you will have a larger footprint.
For at least 20years BFGs have been known to have really stiff side walls. I know back when I was 17 that was a problem for blokes using them on conventional cars as they helped cause accidents due to the lack of flex and them sliding out, which for some of us that was wanted anyway. That will probably be less of an issue for a 4WD.
I reckon you will find most 4wd owners not just Jeeps will opt for a BFG over other brands, that tended to be what Bob Janes dealer said according to his sales and he himself runs them.

Now I think you said you were new to the Jeep game. That being the case are you planning on driving through heaps of mud, cause anyone who knows anything will agree it is not a great idea as it penetrates everything.

If you are wanting the Jeep for a daily drive I doubt whether you will get great life out of a set of muds compare to ATs. But then some guys are claiming to get great life. Where as some are saying that the edges are breaking off on their MTs.

Regards A
Old 05-08-2011
WELDING RODS FOR STEERING

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 224 Times in 128 Posts

From what I have heard, it is hard to get the km2 at the moment, maybe this is why he has dismissed it.

If you are really set on the mtz or km2, try and convince them of that by suggesting that is the tyre you really want and you want to spend your money at their shop and not muck around going elsewhere, willing to wait, hold on to the deposit till they come in, you get the idea. After all, they can always sell the tyres to the next bloke, you might have to consider if your willing to pay some sort of compensation if they are canceling fitting the tyres at such short notice.

Otherwise as morgs has suggested, try them and see if your happy with them, if not sell them on, I reckon you'll be surprised how far an AT will get you. I run AT and keep up with the fellas running Baja ATZ and km2's.
Old 05-08-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJeepers View Post
From what I have heard, it is hard to get the km2 at the moment, maybe this is why he has dismissed it.

If you are really set on the mtz or km2, try and convince them of that by suggesting that is the tyre you really want and you want to spend your money at their shop and not muck around going elsewhere, willing to wait, hold on to the deposit till they come in, you get the idea. After all, they can always sell the tyres to the next bloke, you might have to consider if your willing to pay some sort of compensation if they are canceling fitting the tyres at such short notice.

Otherwise as morgs has suggested, try them and see if your happy with them, if not sell them on, I reckon you'll be surprised how far an AT will get you. I run AT and keep up with the fellas running Baja ATZ and km2's.
Interesting but not that, bascially questioned the new design and quality of the km2, i can save $30 a tyre on the bfg's at another shop so taking into consideration cancellation cost, but basically i want to be able to climb steep rocky and even muddy trails, and i'm doing a snow trip next week and the guy that invited me reckons also that all terrains wont do the job so bloody confused
Old 05-08-2011
MonsterMoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep112 View Post
Interesting but not that, bascially questioned the new design and quality of the km2, i can save $30 a tyre on the bfg's at another shop so taking into consideration cancellation cost, but basically i want to be able to climb steep rocky and even muddy trails, and i'm doing a snow trip next week and the guy that invited me reckons also that all terrains wont do the job so bloody confused
Considering it is ice I dont think having muds is going to save your life. I reckon you would be better off hiring chains for the time your on the mountain.

regards A
Old 05-08-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonygubbin View Post
Considering it is ice I dont think having muds is going to save your life. I reckon you would be better off hiring chains for the time your on the mountain.

regards A
its not a snowfield like mt koziosko its barrington tops national park with high altitudes so there is a possibility of it snowing but not enough to warrant chains otherwise i would have been informed to bring along chains
Old 05-08-2011
MonsterMoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep112 View Post
its not a snowfield like mt koziosko its barrington tops national park with high altitudes so there is a possibility of it snowing but not enough to warrant chains otherwise i would have been informed to bring along chains
That being the case just ask anyone who lives in Canberra they have "black ice" around the peaks. 1000s of cars with conventional tyres. If you suspect there is ice on the road then drive to the conditions again I don't think muddies will save your life over ATs even on black ice. I went to the top of Mt Welli in Hobart with heaps of snow in an old car with stock radials without a problem.

Some of the boys who went on the last Jambo told me how they had HTs and still went some hardcore places, check the pics on the Jambo site and that will show you some of what it was like.
I have been pretty impressed with my Maxxis ATs. When I was researching I ended up asking the question what pecentage they were on/off road after getting some advice. Not sure if that helps or makes your decision harder.

Regards A

Last edited by anthonygubbin; 05-08-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-08-2011
RubiconSlammer

Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts

I had bfg AT on my 03 XL7 and put that through extremely interesting stuff!!!! As your 1st off road tyre, the bfg AT will be just great for you....

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk