Best Penetrating lubricant - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Technical
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-04-2012
Paulybehaved
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaComms View Post
I use Lanox, lanolin based, seems to stay on for ages. I use it on the motor on the boat after washing the salt water off - found out the guys at the local Yamaha dealer use it too.
x2

I use it on my jet ski, puts a sticky coating on metal parts which is excellent for marine applications, but not sure about a 4WD as the dust would stick to it and on moving parts that could create wear.
Old 23-04-2012
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,584 Times in 4,359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wee doggie View Post
This has come up on here before. As I remember it, a 50/50 mix of acetone and tranmission fluid was proven to be the best. I've been using it for a while now and can't fault it except you have to shake it to mix the two every time you use it. Try doing a search, or I'm sure someone else will dig it up.
You are 100% correct.
The ASME did a well documented test about a decade ago comparing all the available penatrants they could get their hands on.

a 50/50 mix of acetone and transmission fluid left all of them for dead especially for undoing seized bolts.
Old 23-04-2012
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 169 Times in 108 Posts

Did a quick google search and found this.

BenBeenBanned@VWVortex said:
Some of you might appreciate this. Machinist's Workshop magazine tested penetrants for break out torque on rusted nuts.

They are below, as forwarded by an ex-student and professional machinist, Bud Baker.

They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrants with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.

Penetrating oil ..... Average load

None ...................... 516 pounds

WD-40 ................... 238 pounds

PB Blaster ............... 214 pounds

Liquid Wrench ......... 127 pounds

Kano Kroil .............. 106 pounds

ATF-Acetone mix.......53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone. Note the "home brew" was better than any commercial product in this one particular test. Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now use it with equally good results. Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is about as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price

Might make some up when my new shocks finally arrive.
Old 24-04-2012
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

wow, home brew stuff better than commercial product?

as far as corrosion protection, i heard of people lightly spraying their engine bays in used engine oil then giong for a drive on a dusty road to deliberately coat the oil.

i have lanoline and fish oil
Old 24-04-2012
DetroitDemon

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

who really cares about corrosion protection when the car isn't new?

you can rust protect it all you like the vehicle is still going to rust away in areas you can't reach.

its a waste of time and effort for a vehicle which is realistically only a few years away from the scrapyard anyway. sorry lol

For australia i think we're better off just giving it a good hose down after being in corrosive conditions.

in saying that i still use lanolin but only on exposed bolt threads and the like where a bit of surface rust will annoy me in the future.

Last edited by Yom; 24-04-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 24-04-2012
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts

KY JELLY
Old 24-04-2012
Just Real Jeeps Club

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 80 Times in 46 Posts

Yom read the post, it not about rust protection but whats best at removing rusted bolts

Sent from
yetiboy01's iPhone using Tapatalk

Black 1983 CJ8, Black 1994 XJ

http://www.justrealjeeps.com
Post New Thread  Reply