99 WJ Grand Cherokee Limited - IRO 4" & 6" lift - mcuh more - Finished - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-02-2013
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I haven't posted much of the build because I am not real good at documenting progress, and I really hate to show something before it is completed.

It took 6 months from ordering the front and rear bar to delivery. Without them, it is just another WJ. The bumpers were only fitted about 3 weeks ago and since then I have moved house, have a 2nd business opening it's doors and had 5 days away camping. So have been a little stretched on time.

I was building it to keep, and I was going to be wheeling it on the weekends. But I have been able to get my wife interested in camping, but it took a camper trailer to convince her. The Jeep is setup great for getting away by yourself for a couple of days. With the fridge, onboard water, LED lighting, awning etc - it is a pleasure to take 4wdriving. I really do want to keep it because I don't want to go through doing all this again on a new vehicle - but it's poor towing characteristics and more weekends being spent away in the camper - I really need a big diesel.

But if anyone has questions about the build, then ask away
Old 05-02-2013
Jedi Master

Liked 919 Times in 625 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesgid View Post
I haven't posted much of the build because I am not real good at documenting progress, and I really hate to show something before it is completed.

It took 6 months from ordering the front and rear bar to delivery. Without them, it is just another WJ. The bumpers were only fitted about 3 weeks ago and since then I have moved house, have a 2nd business opening it's doors and had 5 days away camping. So have been a little stretched on time.

I was building it to keep, and I was going to be wheeling it on the weekends. But I have been able to get my wife interested in camping, but it took a camper trailer to convince her. The Jeep is setup great for getting away by yourself for a couple of days. With the fridge, onboard water, LED lighting, awning etc - it is a pleasure to take 4wdriving. I really do want to keep it because I don't want to go through doing all this again on a new vehicle - but it's poor towing characteristics and more weekends being spent away in the camper - I really need a big diesel.

But if anyone has questions about the build, then ask away

Thanks for that. I was looking at brown davis as well for the second tank. Need it for a planned tour in a couple of years time.

Since you really really really want to keep it, we have an extra garage space here to hide it from the boss.. . Ha! Ha!

Anyhou, it's a head turner for shore ! Maaaaate
Old 05-02-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: KL
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Very cool, such a shame to have to sell. I already have one, so unfortunately cannot buy yours.
Old 05-02-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 121 Times in 86 Posts

Really really cool rig! It's a shame you have to sell, but even more of a shame that you feel you 'need' a Patrol or LC100.. haha. I know they have their strengths and they have a place out in the touring world so I'm not completely narrow minded haha.

But you've pretty much got a WJ that would be reliable and massively capable in any situation offroad, but (and I agree) the stock gearing and rear space would not suit what you said your needs were. But what about a newer Grand or even a Commander? You could have the best diesel on the market, more rear cargo space, and for what we've seen your willing to do, you could make it anything you want and you'd end up with a much nicer and comfier vehicle in the end for better value?
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121119
Old 05-02-2013
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 169 Times in 108 Posts

Thanks for that pricing, I'm thinking of getting something similar later in the year.

Thought about a WK2 Diesel Laredo? Enough power to pull out a tree stump whilst the economy of a 4 cylinder.
Old 05-02-2013
Jedi Master

Liked 919 Times in 625 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Who did you ship it with btw? Also, were they shipped directly to SYD or via other port? If If my recollectn is correct, v8_jofes used JT Imports via MEL.

Thanks again. Sorry to see you letting her go and good luck to the new owner who will surely enjoy her for years to come.

P/S: would be great to see a YouTube of her in action and hear that meaty growl I may have a buyer for you from SJC. How much are you selling her for?

Cheers & Beers
Old 07-02-2013
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turismo07 View Post
Really really cool rig! It's a shame you have to sell, but even more of a shame that you feel you 'need' a Patrol or LC100.. haha. I know they have their strengths and they have a place out in the touring world so I'm not completely narrow minded haha.

But you've pretty much got a WJ that would be reliable and massively capable in any situation offroad, but (and I agree) the stock gearing and rear space would not suit what you said your needs were. But what about a newer Grand or even a Commander? You could have the best diesel on the market, more rear cargo space, and for what we've seen your willing to do, you could make it anything you want and you'd end up with a much nicer and comfier vehicle in the end for better value?
Price is the only thing. I only have a budget of $20,000 to $28,000 if that. Which makes it hard to get what I want without going high KM's or finding a private seller that is willing to sell a modified rig at a nice price. It's really difficult to find something that I like, that is comfortable and has enough room for me (I am a big guy) , that has live axles and good suspension lift options, and a good aftermarket parts catalogue.

The Patrol or LC100 series both fit the mould and they both have a huge aftermarket range. Fitting out the WJ has cost a bucket load more than fitting out a Pootrol or LC because of the very limited range of parts in Australia. Having been stung once by this import or suffer build - I am not going there again.

I have looked at Wranglers, but they are limited in space. But there have been some cool builds I have seen in the 4WD Action mags. I don't know. It's a big decision. The WJ will always be remember though as a tough and fun rig.
Post New Thread  Reply