comparisons beetween xj and wj/g - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-03-2013
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 169 Times in 108 Posts

You won't fit a 33" spare into the rear wheel well so take that into consideration. The largest you will fit without the floor sitting up is a 245/70/17 or 245/75/16, those equate to a 31" tyre. A 33" would need to go either on the roof or a swing away, (not that cheap and easy to find).

I don't know how important "legalities" are to you but a 33" tyre is 2" bigger than the max legal tyre, and you would need at least 3" of lift just to do mild off roading. The largest max legal combo now is 31" tyre and 2" of lift for the WG.

The front CV style driveshafts can be a bit of a weak link after a lift, but Carolina Driveshafts and Tom Woods both make new custom shafts at good prices.

In reality anything over a 2" lift will start to become expensive, especially if you use quality components. I've been able to keep up with 3" lifted JKU's with the only problem being the transfer case cross member, but the V8 certainly makes up for any other drawbacks.

I previously had a Ford LTD and that wasn't too difficult to parallel park and I find the WG very easy to park. Heaps of space both in the passenger area and in the boot area. Install a cargo barrier from a BA-BF Falcon wagon, (around $20 on ebay), and get a huge increase in rear usuable area.
Old 13-03-2013
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 184 Times in 136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiferret View Post
question number 2: i would want to plan on getting the v8 with quadra drive. ignoring lift options etc, how reliable are the diffs with 33's? i plan to run skinnies (235/85/r16) and be done with it. so if it can take 33's, it will answer my question on 32's.
G'day Antiferret,

Just in case you have done your calculations incorrectly - 235/85 R16's work out to be 31.73" tall, so basically equivalent to a 32" tyre in the old money.

From what I hear from others on this site they work fine with a bit of lift, but you still have the problem of where to put the spare as it will not fit in the wheel well. As timbo said, 31" tyres would be your best bet, especially if you want to keep cargo space and some form of reasonable fuel economy.
Old 13-03-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We drove an XJ from Newman WA to Newcastle NSW in 4 days over the holidays. (Via the Nullabor) Packed to the roof, spare ON the roof (rack) etc. It is definately smaller and not even worth comparing to the WJ on comfort, etc.
After chrissy presents, shopping etc, and the better half complaining about the comfort, the wind noise etc, we bought a WJ 4.7 Laredo in Newcastle to go home in.
Drove from Newcastle to Darwin Via Brisbane, then down to Broome WA and home. Best Comparison EVER! As far as long distance trips go, I am confident in saying I would bet my house that you will not regret upgrading to a WJ/WG!

Noise - its like the difference between peak shopping time, to midnight when the centre is closed and only has a security guard wandering round!

Room - We had much more crap when we left Newcastle than when we arrived, and yet packing it the same way in the WJ, I could now see out the back window. Granted I had a battery and 12 inch sub in the back of the XJ, but we litterally filled the back seat and cargo area to the roof (1 child in a booster seat) in the XJ, had just a suitcase and backpack on the back seat in the WJ, everything else fitted in the rear, and as I said above, it all only came to the top of the seats!

Fuel economy - Simple.... 13-15L/100km's in the XJ, Nullabor etc is pretty bloody flat, cruise set on 100km/hr, no more ever, A/C off half the time worrying if we would make he next servo!
WJ averaged 10.8L/100km inc NSW coast past Coff's etc, QLD hills (Toowomba etc) 130km/hr all through the NT, 110km/h everywhere else.

Legroom/comfort - It honestly felt like the difference between a plastic outdoor chair (XJ) and a Lazyboy recliner (WJ)

Don't get me wrong, the XJ was awesome, tuff little reliable off roader, plenty of capability etc, but just not suited to long distance touring, unless your a childless couple, or a couple-less child lol
The WJ underpinnings seem quite good for off road duties on paper, infact Im a little excited to see how good it can be (4 inch Long arm kit on its way) So I cant see a problem with the XJ if you live somewhere like Newcastle, where most great offroad spots are within an hour or three drive (Stockton, Watagans, Barrington Topsetc etc)

After the drive accross Australia, I started to put the XJ in the same touring catagory as a 4 door Vitara etc, purely on the touring ability, not the offroad low range ability etc.
Old 14-03-2013
Established Member

Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts

i have a wj and 4 kids with a 3rd row seat.it does get a bit tight on trips but we bought a space pod for the roof and it carries enough for all of us for a weekend trip.we got a 6cyl laredo and its realy comfy driver i can do 1200kms a day in it easy.
Old 14-03-2013
SwampDigger

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

My wj has 220 k on it , 33" tyres and i give it some v8 stick offroad and havent brocken a cv yet touch wood! Also the front d30 has thicker tubes than xjs or jks and bending em is not common unless you like getting plenty of air time.
Old 15-03-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

awesum

tyre carrier dont worry me as i am looking at one of those hitch mount ones for longer journeys (swing down type). if i remove the tyre i would look at some way to use the freed up room there as well (water tank? i have heard that a extra fuel tank can go there?!?)

i experimented with mileage on the xj with 31x10.5 and 235/85 previously. on highway mileage was identical (narrower tyre?) only reason i didn't use the 235s was the D35 (i chickened out).

as i am not a rock crawler or desert racer the stock stuff should be fine.
i come from the "use as LITTLE lift as you can get away with" and "narrow/larger diameter tyres are better for an allrounder" camp (most military vehicles have these combos for a reason)

assuming i purchase the right accessories, how well do thhey cope with trailers (both on and off road) around the 1250 kg range?