Victorian high Country in a KK Cherokee - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KK Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-05-2013
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: KK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Victorian high Country in a KK Cherokee

A water bra/wading sheet/tarp might be good insurance $150 for the bra $50 for a tarp.

Blue Rag has been graded this summer as it was a containment line when the fires came through. Can't see a KK with a lift and ATs having too many issues.
Old 13-05-2013
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys, Im new to Victoria so its good to get a feel for where im heading. Heading out with a few others so should be well covered for recovery and the like if its needed.

I didnt think it would be out of the capability of the vehicle just wanted to see if there are any specific challenges, Ill get some pics and let you know how it went.

and a WK2 Grand Cherokee Laredo
Old 14-05-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Default Re: Victorian high Country in a KK Cherokee

Have a great trip, been through there in my paj and itcwas awsome.

Sent from my GT-P6810 using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-06-2013
Senior Newbie

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Default A great trip

Thought it was about time to let you know how the trip went:
Fri got away about 3.30 spent some time in the carpark that is sometimes called a freeway out of Melbourne.
Fri night we stayed at Meyers Flat camping area. Nice enough spot, on the road into the area, near Dargo so it suited well.
Sat - Crooked River Tk was good, but slow going, lots of river crossings

First crossing for the KK
Conway Track (dropping downhill back to Kingswell Bridge) was very steep and dirt / clay based would be a challenge in the wet. Stayed at Collins Hut heaps of fibro board, smashed windows and rubbish left around, shame people cant look after these huts better.

Standard terrain in the lower sections

Sun morning – straight up to Billy Goats. Fantastic climb, there are a few spots that slightly challenged the KK (ie a bit of scrabbling for traction) but a great drive. The scenerywas mind blowing!

View from top of Billy goats
After Billy Goats Bluff (recommend going uphill (East to West) for Billy Goats), you MUST go out to the Pinnicles – amazing 360 degree views and only a short detour. We took a slight ‘shortcut’ from there, it had short stretch of slick, slippery rock ledges to go down – a good bit of fun and a recommended ‘short cut’. High speed dirt (60-70km/h average) from there via Dimmick’s Lookout to Howit Hut for our third night, glad we made the hut as it was very cold by this Queenslanders standard.

Early morning shot to get me acclimatised to VIC
Mon – We headed back down to Caledonia River Track this has some steep, slightly off camber and recently bulldozed decents. Could be dangerous in the wet.
Track drops steeply from above the snowline, through sub-alpine bush, typical Aussie bush, and finally wet / river and almost rainforest vegetation on the river at the bottom. It also transitions from mountain track to riverside track, then has several shallow river crossings and even a few bog holes. A very diverse and interesting track.

Another crossing probably 32 of 35

A little slippery in parts

This is just before I ended up sideways, I was glad I built some sliders after this section
From the Sth end of Caledonia River Tk, we went East, up Dingo Hill Tk. This was the most challenging tk of the weekend. Probably rated ‘double black diamond’ on the Vic High Country system, but I would rate it Medium to Hard. That is all in the dry of course. In the wet it would possibly be impassable in the KK without lockers and mud terrains.

Very steep in sections and definitely worked the traction control but the KK just kept going I was very impressed

Some interesting angles and tight corners on very steep sections

Overall a great trip, my first real hit out in the KK and I was very impressed with its performance, I have already booked on a return trip with the Jeep Club in November. Dingo was definitely the challenge very steep in sections and traction was an issue it would have been a real challenge in the wet.
I will try and put a video together in the next couple of weeks to show how good it was and will update with a link.

Old 12-06-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

Great pics and a good yarn to go with it. Glad you enjoyed yourself and then to make it better you topped it off by including us.

What sort of tyres were you running?
Old 12-06-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 26 Times in 21 Posts
Default Victorian high Country in a KK Cherokee

Thanks for the report Gaz, your definitely making me want to head back out there before I leave Vic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2013
Senior Newbie

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Default Mods

LSE3.9
Im running pirelli ATR 245/70/16 on CSA rims, they were pretty good even on the muddier sections.

Id like something a bit bigger now I have the lift but I will wait till they wear out only about 15000Km on them at the moment.

It was well worth buiding some sliders as they stopped a lot of mud / rocks flicking up the side and on one section I reckon they may have saved some minor panel damage. But they dont stop the pinstripes so I think this weekend will be a good clean and polish for the KK.

Post New Thread  Reply