Your Opinion - New Rig - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 18-06-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

don't get me wrong by any means!
if i could keep the jeep i would, i currently have a 2 door suzi and it NEEDS to go! so we're offload the suzi (to my brother yay) and the jeep well to anyone who will want it really!!!! we just can't afford it just seems every time we take it for a service they find two things wrong with it and it's always costing us to much!!! but the good news is who ever buys it will only have breaks / rotors, to change before everything else it new on the rig hahahaha!!!

i'm looking at the 1.9 TD suzi and then remember these have to be serviced every 5/7000, k's and the mrs said no we wouldnt' be able to do that if we didn't have the money i wouldnt' want to break the car. where as at least the petrol engine if it's due for a service at 10,000 and we go over a bit it's not so damaging!!!!!

the rig will be used as her daily in town driver however when second baby comes along it will then be used to go on holidays with. long term it will prayerfully tow a camper trailer around australia for us!!!

so at this stage everyone thinks the suzi is the pick of the two?
i must now say, i was at the jeep dealership yesty and had a look at what was in stock there was a reallllly schmick looking WK2 in their drive way i hopped into and WOWZERS.. so good i'd get that for the wife but at $67,000 it is a little uhh MUCH specially when i could buy two NEW suzuki GV's for that price!!!

keep your comments coming as they'll be used to benefit the wife to getting the GV instead of some silly little around town car! - currently driving her jeep, and me a toyota 4runner on loan from a friend soooo!!!! at this stage i think we could be swayed either way!!!

oh other wise if you had to get somethign "NOT JEEP" what are the rigs you'd be looking at for around the 20-30 grand??
Old 18-06-2013
Established Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've had a Land Rover Freelander 2 for 5 years and 160k and it's been the best car I've ever had. The diesel is as powerful as my 2.7 Grand, it's been everywhere the Grand has gone, excellent both on and off road. Unlike the unreliable Freelander 1, they are extremely reliable. Very luxurious and a fantastic drive. Serviced every 12k by local mechanic for around $300. Read the Freelander 2 forums, a lot of very happy owners. You can get one 2nd hand in the high 20's now. I might be lucky, I've done 330k over the last 5 years in a Land Rover and a Jeep and not had a problem.
If you don't trust a Land Rover, then a Subaru Forester is my pick of the soft roaders. I've been on a lot of trips with my club with a heap of soft roaders and the Forester is the best. The CRV is way down the list as an off road option. The last one that came on a trip with us left bits and pieces everywhere. Subaru build quality and reliability are high. The traction is good as well, see youtube for traction comparisons between the soft roaders.
Old 18-06-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraxix View Post
i'm looking at the 1.9 TD suzi and then remember these have to be serviced every 5/7000, k's and the mrs said no we wouldnt' be able to do that if we didn't have the money i wouldnt' want to break the car. where as at least the petrol engine if it's due for a service at 10,000 and we go over a bit it's not so damaging!!!!!
There is no way I would consider a T/Diesel Suzi. A little thing like their Diesel Particulate Filter is the stumbling block. That filter means very specific servicing and driving requirements are needed and when [not if] that filter needs replacing it is a $6G cost. You can't not deal with it either because the car shuts itself down to prevent damage so it's off to the dealer you go.

The four cylinder petrol Suzi is economical and has plenty of poke. It has factory specified six month service intervals which must be maintained in order to preserve the factory warranty.

Your comment on stretching the service intervals due to cash flow might not be possible. The service interval specified on any new car must be maintained exactly if you are to preserve the factory warranty. Whether it is time or kilometres which trigger the service is irrelevant because the service must happen.
Old 18-06-2013
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not sure where you got those service figures from but the Suzuki deisel service intervals are 10000 kms and 5-7000 in extreme conditions. Ie heavy towing, very dusty etc etc.
Mine has been serviced religiously every 10000 and hasn't missed a beat at 75000kms now.
Old 18-06-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dmad View Post
I'm not sure where you got those service figures from but the Suzuki deisel service intervals are 10000 kms and 5-7000 in extreme conditions. Ie heavy towing, very dusty etc etc.
Mine has been serviced religiously every 10000 and hasn't missed a beat at 75000kms now.
sorry never owning a TD before i have just heard mates with all thier Hydrolux's and Nissanks say the same thing - we service every 5000k's cuz you have to!!! others i have heard say we get the servicing done at 7000 k's so i just took a stab in the dark...

that's all but it sounds like and from what i've been reading up on the TD engine is good engine but for what we need and our requirements we may be going to petty! i just like that idead that the 4cyl 2.4L is a zippy engine however the 1.9L TD is a TINY capacity engine.. just makes me cringe at the idea.. and i have not had a TD before so wouldnt' know what to look for when things go wrong hahahaha!!!!

well spoke to the Mrs and she has decided after all this talk it will probably be a Suzi GV
Old 18-06-2013
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As for the particulate filter, correct me if I'm wrong but the WK2 has a particulate filter also, along with many diesel vehicles now.
On the odd occasion the filter light comes on to say it is restricted if driven around town on short trips a lot. Easy fix, you take it on a longer drive using higher revs to get the engine/exhaust hot to clear itself.
That is written in the owners manual not some backyard theory.
My wife and myself can't speak highly enough of the GV but at the end of the day it is your choice and I'm sure either way you will be happy with your decision.

Last edited by 4dmad; 18-06-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 18-06-2013
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dmad View Post
I just got the manual out of the car & for normal driving conditions for petrol is 12months/15,000km, I checked the km, its 87,500km & running strong, due for the valve clearance adjustment at 90,000km (didn't need it at 75,000)

The 6 months/ 10,000km service intervals for the CRV is why we didn't buy one.

This is for the 2007 model, may be different for newer models, I would go down to the dealer & look at the manual in the car.

Buy the way the service intervals for the WH Grand Cherokee Deisel is every 10,000km for normal driving.