From what year did the regs come in for lift and tyre sizes? - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-09-2013
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

If your sticking to strictly legal, then on self inspection you are limited to 2in suspension lift and 1in tyre lift (2in larger tyres) for a total of 3in above stock.

With inspection you can add another 1in body lift for a total of 4in, though on the JK personally I think the body lift is more of a pain than it's worth.

If you stick to a solid axle front and rear then you can also 'legally' increase the wheel track by 50mm, or 25mm per side. If you go to an independent suspension then this is halved to just 12mm per side.

You may be able to go higher than this if you can find an engineer that will sign off on it, but with the new regs most seem to not want to stray from the basics.

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 01-09-2013
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 171 Times in 115 Posts

Sorry that might be correct at the moment but the national NCOP regs state a maximum (combined lift and tyres) of 50mm (self inspection). And importantly, no vehicle with ESP can be legally modified in anyway as this upsets the computer calculations of roll centre, etc. However, it remains to be seen how enforcement will be handled (perhaps at annual inspection time). There are referernce heights provided by manufactures (ak trim height figures) which are kept on a database and will serve as the baseline for compliance.

And as said before, if you have an older vehicle with a lift and have kept the receipts to prove it was done prior to the new regs came into effect then your OK - at least that's the case in NSW.
Old 01-09-2013
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Lol. When NCOP came into force in QLD we all rejoiced as it meant we could fit bigger tyres (we were only allowed 15mm larger than fitted to that vehicle)!

Oh, and with NCOP in QLD we can go 50 mm suspension and another 25mm tyres for a total of 75mm self inspection. Not to sure how the esp part will come into play, but since Jeep Australia sells 2 in spring lifts that will be my argument for the Manufacturer confirming it's ok to lift it 2in

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 4

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 02-09-2013
Time to tinker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 448 Times in 233 Posts

Extract from here:
"The Second Edition Australian Design Rules (ADRs) are national standards for vehicles that first came into effect on 1 January 1969 as endorsed by the then Australian Transport Advisory Council (ATAC). The ATAC recommended the Second Edition ADRs to the Commonwealth, State and Territory Governments for vehicles being supplied to the Australian market. The Second Edition ADRs only applied to vehicles manufactured from 1 January 1969 onwards and were selectively applied by each state and territory. From the time of 1 July 1988 onwards, the Second Edition ADRs were increasingly superseded by the Third Edition ADRs.

For vehicles manufactured up until July 1989, the application of the ADRs is the responsibility of the state and territory governments. Vehicle users should consult with their state or territory transport authority for the Second and Third Edition ADRs that apply to these vehicles."

The real problem is there are so many conflicts between the ADR's, NCOP & local regs (eg VSI & VSB etc) that there's no easy answer - but IMHO earlier model is definately he way to go if you are planning more mods.
Post New Thread  Reply