Why do you still own your 2007 JK? - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-09-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 97 Times in 31 Posts

07 JK SWB auto here too, its my first 4WD and Jeep, had it a year now and looked at lots when we arrived from NZ the 07 fitted my budget of $18k with some $$ left over for the planned mods, only regret is I wished I had purchased a JKU as it would have given the wife a smoother ride off road (not as twitchy in transitions from side to side). All my mods so far have been done so I can swap them over to a JKU when ever we upgrade which we will one day, but for now I love my shorty 07 JK

GreenJK my 07 has 17" wheels on but the sticker inside the door says it came with 16" wheels, does this mean it is a 4:1 ratio diff ??, if so what does this mean to me compared to later JK diff ratios ??

Red JKU, AEV Front & Rear Bar, AEV 2.5 XT Lift.
TJM Winch, Sharpwrax Super Spoiler.

Last edited by Hotdognz; 22-09-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old 22-09-2013
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Why do you still own your 2007 JK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotdognz View Post
07 JK SWB auto here too, its my first 4WD and Jeep, had it a year now and looked at lots when we arrived from NZ the 07 fitted my budget of $18k with some $$ left over for the planned mods, only regret is I wished I had purchased a JKU as it would have given the wife a smoother ride off road (not as twitchy in transitions from side to side). All my mods so far have been done so I can swap them over to a JKU when ever we upgrade which we will one day, but for now I love my shorty 07 JK

GreenJK my 07 has 17" wheels on but the sticker inside the door says it came with 16" wheels, does this mean it is a 4:1 ratio diff ??, if so what does this mean to me compared to later JK diff ratios ??
If you bought it used it may have been a dealer upgrade. Or as an alternative option from the dealer.

As far as the 4.1 ratio I believe that could only be given with the Rubicon edition. Or if special ordered with the d-44 axle. I could be wrong. But this is what I can seem to put together from what I've researched.

Sent from space monkeys controlling our satellites! :beer:
Old 22-09-2013
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 126 Times in 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007alaskanrubicon View Post
If you bought it used it may have been a dealer upgrade. Or as an alternative option from the dealer.

As far as the 4.1 ratio I believe that could only be given with the Rubicon edition. Or if special ordered with the d-44 axle. I could be wrong. But this is what I can seem to put together from what I've researched.

As far as I know all 07 models had 4.1 ratio diffs, I know my Crd auto does, what this means if you have them is you can run larger tyres without having to change the ratio's in the F & R diff's, as far as the 17 inch rims as alaskanrubicon said a lot of dealers or private owner for that mater would swap them over.
Old 22-09-2013
Senior Newbie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjk View Post
As far as I know all 07 models had 4.1 ratio diffs, I know my Crd auto does, what this means if you have them is you can run larger tyres without having to change the ratio's in the F & R diff's, as far as the 17 inch rims as alaskanrubicon said a lot of dealers or private owner for that mater would swap them over.
Providing unmatched wheel articulation and durability, Jeep Wrangler X and Saharamodels feature an enhanced Dana 30 front axle and Dana 35 rear axle. For the all-new 2007 Jeep Wrangler Rubiconmodel – and optional with the trailer tow package on all models – heavy-duty front and rear axles are bothDana 44s, which feature numerous improvements. Providing significant underbody protection are three skid plates– protecting the fuel tank, transfer case and automatic transmission oil pan.

For the first time, JeepWrangler offers an electronic-disconnecting front stabilizer bar – Active Sway Bar System (ASBS) –delivering additional wheel travel for traversing the toughest trails. As a result, the all-new 2007 JeepWrangler boasts a 652 Ramp Travel Index (RTI — a measurement of a vehicle’s suspension articulation) withthe front stabilizer bar engaged and an 832 RTI with the front stabilizer bar disconnected – a 28 percentincrease.

Jeep Wrangler X and Sahara models feature the second-generation Command-Trac® NV241, part-time,two-speed transfer case, featuring a 2.72:1 low-range gear ratio. In addition, a Trac-Lok® limited-slip reardifferential provides extra torque and grip during low-traction situations, such as driving over sand, gravel, snow orice.

The all-new 2007 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon model features an Off-Road Rock-Trac™ NV241 two-speed transfercase with a 4.0:1 low-range gear ratio, as well as electric front- and rear-axle lockers and 32-inch B.F. GoodrichOff-Road tires.

More On-road Refinement
While improving its legendary 4x4 Jeep capability, the all-new 2007Jeep Wrangler offers enhanced on-road comfort due to an all-new 100 percent stiffer frame in bending, 50 percent stifferbody, refined five-link coil suspension, improved shock tuning, 2-inch longer wheelbase and 3.5-inch wider track. In addition, new steering and suspension geometry provides precise ride and handling characteristics, and newsound-deadening techniques reduce cabin noise by more than 20 percent.

(Just found this. Should clear things up).

Source:
http://m.autoblog.com/2006/01/09/200...tos-and-specs/

Old 22-09-2013
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Actually that doesn't clear much up at all as it says non rubicon models have a Dana 35 rear axle instead of the Dana 44 that actually have. It also doesn't mention any diff ratios, only transfer case ratios.

However, if you want to work it out, I did an excel spread sheet ages ago for working the other way, as in tyre size, diffs and gearbox to work out engine RPM's at certain speeds so you could see what effect larger tyres would have. You can download it from http://files.seacomms.com.au/ and its called Diff Ratios V1.3

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club

Last edited by SeaComms; 22-09-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old 22-09-2013
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 126 Times in 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007alaskanrubicon View Post
Providing unmatched wheel articulation and durability, Jeep Wrangler X and Saharamodels feature an enhanced Dana 30 front axle and Dana 35 rear axle. For the all-new 2007 Jeep Wrangler Rubiconmodel – and optional with the trailer tow package on all models – heavy-duty front and rear axles are bothDana 44s, which feature numerous improvements. Providing significant underbody protection are three skid plates– protecting the fuel tank, transfer case and automatic transmission oil pan.

For the first time, JeepWrangler offers an electronic-disconnecting front stabilizer bar – Active Sway Bar System (ASBS) –delivering additional wheel travel for traversing the toughest trails. As a result, the all-new 2007 JeepWrangler boasts a 652 Ramp Travel Index (RTI — a measurement of a vehicle’s suspension articulation) withthe front stabilizer bar engaged and an 832 RTI with the front stabilizer bar disconnected – a 28 percentincrease.

Jeep Wrangler X and Sahara models feature the second-generation Command-Trac® NV241, part-time,two-speed transfer case, featuring a 2.72:1 low-range gear ratio. In addition, a Trac-Lok® limited-slip reardifferential provides extra torque and grip during low-traction situations, such as driving over sand, gravel, snow orice.

The all-new 2007 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon model features an Off-Road Rock-Trac™ NV241 two-speed transfercase with a 4.0:1 low-range gear ratio, as well as electric front- and rear-axle lockers and 32-inch B.F. GoodrichOff-Road tires.

More On-road Refinement
While improving its legendary 4x4 Jeep capability, the all-new 2007Jeep Wrangler offers enhanced on-road comfort due to an all-new 100 percent stiffer frame in bending, 50 percent stifferbody, refined five-link coil suspension, improved shock tuning, 2-inch longer wheelbase and 3.5-inch wider track. In addition, new steering and suspension geometry provides precise ride and handling characteristics, and newsound-deadening techniques reduce cabin noise by more than 20 percent.

(Just found this. Should clear things up).

Source:
http://m.autoblog.com/2006/01/09/200...tos-and-specs/

Clears nothing up really, most of what they are referring to are American models and the reference to 4.1 is the transfer case ratio not diff's.
Old 22-09-2013
Senior Newbie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaComms View Post
Actually that doesn't clear much up at all as it says non rubicon models have a Dana 35 rear axle instead of the Dana 44 that actually have. It also doesn't mention any diff ratios, only transfer case ratios.

However, if you want to work it out, I did an excel spread sheet ages ago for working the other way, as in tyre size, diffs and gearbox to work out engine RPM's at certain speeds so you could see what effect larger tyres would have. You can download it from http://files.seacomms.com.au/ and its called Diff Ratios V1.3
Well one thin is the for mat of this forum will not allow spacing between paragraphs, bit frustrating.

I would love to see the graph. I love any knowledge I can learn on my beast. But if you read carefully you can see that not just rubi's but all tow package rigs came with the Dana 44.