No idea which one!!! - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-10-2013
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's a really impressive list of requirements Auto. You clearly understand what you are after and are thinking ahead.

I am in no position of authority...but can offer the following based on my experiences.

I have a JKU 4 door. Bought it new for 34k drive away. It was a 2011 model at time of change over to 3.6. Sure the 3.8 engine is pretty average compared to new 3.6 but 11 k difference was too hard to go by and that buys a supercharger or 2. For a 4 door 4wd that is insanely cheap when you consider what they can do stock.

I am running a lot of what you have specified (AEV snorkel, steel bars front and rear, winch, 35s, rock sliders, rear air locker, on board compressor, Fox remotes, synergy 3 in lift, sway bar disconnects, etc. I have nothing against ARB, but there is such a range of bars and other aftermarket stuff out there that is really high quality, I would shop around as you are spoilt for choice.

I have regeared recently with the locker, and am achieving 14.2 around town and was getting 13.7 on recent return trip to Sydney.

The thing is a weapon and it is easy to work on. I run no top most of summer, and hoist the hard top from the top of the garage in winter. I run racks on the hardtop, a fridge and second battery for camping. I also run trailmods flares, so you can remove the tops, doors, flares, disconnects. It is a big meccano set, and the level of mods you can is almost limitless. Here is a car you can run 37s with a few inches of lift and no body cutting.

I have 2 boys that are 7 and 10, and while you have to pack for camping carefully, it is not too bad for a few days. For touring I'd be looking at MBRP or Sharwrax or similar to load the roof up.

So in closing, I don't know much about art (or the other vehicles listed) but I know what I like.
Old 22-10-2013
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

JK unlimited rubicon. They have a bigger front diff, higher diff gears, better transfer case for crawling, electric lockers front and rear. Stay well clear of ARB as there is hundreds of company's that have far superior products built for jeeps.

Running 35's on a standard jk unlimited will require sleeves and gussets on the front diff, new gear ratios and lockers, so you looking at 6k anyway. Buy the rubicon and spend 5k on the bar work and lift ect, but expect to eventually spend money doing the front driveshaft, upgrading the front axles to rcv's and ball joints. Offset rims and tyres, new flares , new mud flaps will also need to be done to keep legal.
Old 22-10-2013

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
That's a really impressive list of requirements Auto. You clearly understand what you are after and are thinking ahead.

I am in no position of authority...but can offer the following based on my experiences.

I have a JKU 4 door. Bought it new for 34k drive away. It was a 2011 model at time of change over to 3.6. Sure the 3.8 engine is pretty average compared to new 3.6 but 11 k difference was too hard to go by and that buys a supercharger or 2. For a 4 door 4wd that is insanely cheap when you consider what they can do stock.

I am running a lot of what you have specified (AEV snorkel, steel bars front and rear, winch, 35s, rock sliders, rear air locker, on board compressor, Fox remotes, synergy 3 in lift, sway bar disconnects, etc. I have nothing against ARB, but there is such a range of bars and other aftermarket stuff out there that is really high quality, I would shop around as you are spoilt for choice.

I have regeared recently with the locker, and am achieving 14.2 around town and was getting 13.7 on recent return trip to Sydney.

The thing is a weapon and it is easy to work on. I run no top most of summer, and hoist the hard top from the top of the garage in winter. I run racks on the hardtop, a fridge and second battery for camping. I also run trailmods flares, so you can remove the tops, doors, flares, disconnects. It is a big meccano set, and the level of mods you can is almost limitless. Here is a car you can run 37s with a few inches of lift and no body cutting.

I have 2 boys that are 7 and 10, and while you have to pack for camping carefully, it is not too bad for a few days. For touring I'd be looking at MBRP or Sharwrax or similar to load the roof up.

So in closing, I don't know much about art (or the other vehicles listed) but I know what I like.
Thanks everyone for your replies so far.

Harley, do you haveany pics of your rig? Battery and fridge set up?

Yours sounds perfect. Do you get death wobbles or anything? Ive heard theyre insane once you start lifting jks.
Any other problems I should be aware of?

Diesel or petrol and why?

This will be set up for long trips as well as the weekens crawl, are they comfy enough for long hauls?

Sounds like your alot like me. Know what you want and set it up properly.
I get ARB gear at almost cost price. So thats why its appealing. Havent done much research on other brands.

Anyone running the ARB suspension? 4in or 2in..

Thanks for the TJ suggestion. But I may as well go back to a GQ shorty if fhats the case.

Sorry for the questions. There will be many more soon

Thanks again everyone. Keep it coming.
Old 22-10-2013

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomBA View Post
JK unlimited rubicon. They have a bigger front diff, higher diff gears, better transfer case for crawling, electric lockers front and rear. Stay well clear of ARB as there is hundreds of company's that have far superior products built for jeeps.

Running 35's on a standard jk unlimited will require sleeves and gussets on the front diff, new gear ratios and lockers, so you looking at 6k anyway. Buy the rubicon and spend 5k on the bar work and lift ect, but expect to eventually spend money doing the front driveshaft, upgrading the front axles to rcv's and ball joints. Offset rims and tyres, new flares , new mud flaps will also need to be done to keep legal.
Im in QLD so cant really go over 3in and 33s legally. So I would be keeping it under that.
I ran 35s on the shorty and they just flogged out everything underneath.
Rubicon would not be in my budget. Not the age or kms I want anyway.
Speaking of kms... how many should one expect out of a jk?

As I mentioned id get arb gear for cost so thats super appealing.. ill have to see whats out there though.
Old 23-10-2013
Established Member

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Rock crawling and prado are 2 words that have never been put together. If you are thinking of a family then a ute is out of the question. And why a 4.2 I had a 3l and never had any problems with it once. And I would often go 15k + without an oil change. The best 4bie iv had was a defender well the most fun anyway. And I'd still have 1 but my wife didnt like the old 1 (no aircon, no heater, no nothing) and newer ones are to expensive,With often 200k+ on the clock.
My rubicon cost me 24k with 98k on the clock just a couple of months ago. Front and rear bars. Rock sliders. Im putting a lift soon just gotta decide which a winch and odds and ends. IMO without the lockers its just like any other solid axel 4x4 so dnt go the sport unless you really want a td. When I was looking at buying 1 the sports a stupidly more that the rubicon second hand. I think you should look into a Toyota workmate. Dual cab, v8, td,170l odd fuel tank. E Locked though im told not that strong. With a 2" lift it'll be higher than a wrangler on 4" If you look around you can find a2010 for 30k with a 100k on the clock. Just watch out for the flogged out mines cars. But having said that the rubicon will kill it off road. But re sale goes to the Toyota.
Old 23-10-2013
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 126 Times in 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomBA View Post

Rubi's have lower diff gears than most sport's. Higher number = lower ratio= better for off road or fitting larger tyres.
Old 23-10-2013
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have not configured the fridge in a slide, or a permanent battery setup. Just a 40l Engel and with a deep cycle battery in a box for when needed for camping etc. I might mount on to fridge slide and draws but don't know if I want to sacrifice rear space on a permanent basis.

Next mod is adjustable panhard rods to have better control over centering diffs following lift.

No issue with death wobbles. 3 in is a good amount of lift for 35s on a 4 door. As they get older I think people encounter due to play in ball joints, front end components etc. But no doubt DW has happened to comparatively new owners too...so not 100% on cause - effect.

There are lots of good examples of tourers on this site and on Bill's DBOR web site where they have setup some excellent examples for long range touring.

Not sure what cost on an ARB rear bar saves you as an example, but I am running an Off Road Fabrications rear bar. It is made in the US. Has large rated recovering points, high departure angle, is solid as with 1/2 inch steel plate attaching to the main chassis rails and it landed at about half the price of an ARB unit.

Mine is just the petrol. Diesel was not an option at the time and they are kinda rare and you pay a premium. My annual kms are not great and it is daily driver.

I did look at a Rubicon at the time but price difference was something like 16k + So I can live with manual discos - something to do while airing down, and for that difference I will drop a Terra 44 with all the fruit some day (the D30 is definitely weak link), and as mentioned I've already got a rear air locker and regeared. So it is sitting in the sweet spot for revs.

JKs are pretty agricultural. Bit like Defenders in that way. But like everything, there are always trade offs. So the highway ride is firm, and with the roof off and running MTZs there is expected noise and hum, it ain't exactly Landcruiser type luxury.. My wife is unimpressed with scaling the metre or so climb in, but the kids love it.

Attached are a couple of pics. Most recent is a Stockton beach trip with some friends. Single pic was when running just 2 inches of lift, plastic side steps and rear bar. Jeep seems to put this stuff on knowing many owners will replace (kinda like placeholders).

Best advice...stay away from genuine Jeep/Mopar/Lovells lift option. Way too hard. Check out the many reviews of OME lifts on this site if thinking of going that route.

Post New Thread  Reply