To quadra lift or not to quadra lift??? - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 31-01-2014
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts

In reference to suspension lifts to vehicles with ESC, google is your friend!

1. Vehicle Standards Bulletin (VSB) 14 is a good starting point, para 2.6 in particular
http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa..._2011%20v3.pdf

2. Being a Queenslander I was happy to find out that as long as you don't exceed 75mm of additional lift, no restrictions/certifications apply.

3. Being less interested in other states I didn't apply as much effort but at first glance it seems to be a case of 0-50mm of lift is no real problem, more than that is going to require more effort/engineering rigour.

I have standard suspension and am very happy with it, in the future I'll be getting a 50mm lift from Stu Murchison. A 50mm additional lift is equal to the highest Quadralift setting without the thumping that motoring journalists seem to unreasonably enjoy implying happens over uneven terrain at that setting.
Old 31-01-2014
Established Member

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffomarinus View Post

1. Vehicle Standards Bulletin (VSB) 14 is a good starting point, para 2.6 in particular

2. Being a Queenslander I was happy to find out that as long as you don't exceed 75mm of additional lift, no restrictions/certifications apply.

3. Being less interested in other states I didn't apply as much effort but at first glance it seems to be a case of 0-50mm of lift is no real problem, more than that is going to require more effort/engineering rigour.

I have standard suspension and am very happy with it, in the future I'll be getting a 50mm lift from Stu Murchison. A 50mm additional lift is equal to the highest Quadralift setting without the thumping that motoring journalists seem to unreasonably enjoy implying happens over uneven terrain at that setting.

My understanding is that currenly that lift does not apply to independent susp vehicles
I know people are workin on transport to get a simular lift without certification etc but i don't belive it has been secured yet
Yes thats for Qld
Old 31-01-2014
RubiconSlammer

Liked 279 Times in 197 Posts

Quote:
That is a good point, if you want to use it off road, you may get better suspension travel with the steel springs, and more ability to modify it.

Depends what the OP wants to do with it I guess.
Old 31-01-2014
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

After I had ordered my GC Ltd without the quadra-lift I was really unsure about whether I had done the right thing. It drove me insane thinking about it!

Anyway, although I like the simplicity of the conventional suspension, I still think I would have preferred the air suspension. My personal preference is to only have lift when you really need it, and for all the cons it may have, I think having choice of ride height on demand is pretty hard to beat.

I think the part about it that tilts the front down when you get your speed up on the highway is BS, but everything else about it seems very useful. Next time I would like to get the air suspension for sure.

These new sorts of suspension systems (other manufacturers have it too e.g. Land Rover) are the way of the future for most folk, even those who want to do off-roading. Sure, factory setups will never meet the needs of hard-core off-roaders, but that's a pretty small percentage of the market.
Old 31-01-2014
Jeepin' is incurable....

Liked 69 Times in 55 Posts

The ride is also different, I reckon. Smoother with the QL, less transmission of bumps.
Old 31-01-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 48 Times in 34 Posts
Default To quadra lift or not to quadra lift???

Quote:

See link provided above, section 2.6 states that for any suspension modification of any vehicle with ESC you need to contact your state motor authority as to requirements before any modification is carried out and see if the same lift rules apply
Old 31-01-2014
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 301 Times in 244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda42 View Post
See link provided above, section 2.6 states that for any suspension modification of any vehicle with ESC you need to contact your state motor authority as to requirements before any modification is carried out and see if the same lift rules apply
I think the bigger issue with ESC vehicles is the following statement which most people interpret to mean that unless you can get the manufacturer of the vehicle to state that a lift will not affect the ESC, or the manufacturer of the lift to state they have tested the vehicle and ESC remains unchanged or someone to state they have modified the action of the ESC and it therefore now operates correctly then basically any lift whatsoever is non compliant under VSB14.
I've been following this discussion on the Mitsubishi Challenger forum where a guy who has to comply with VSB14 has written to Mitsubishi and several suspension suppliers and none have come and clearly certified the lift to be compliant under VSB14.
Whilst it could be argued this is a grey area, to me it is grey in favour of the authorities definitely not in our favour.

For modification codes contained in this Section of VSB 14, evidence should be obtained either from the vehicle manufacturer or through testing to determine the impact on the ESC system. To remain within the scope of this Section of VSB 14, a vehicle fitted with ESC must not be modified if the operation of the ESC is affected unless the ESC system is adjusted accordingly.
I think the closest we have come across is ARB have a statement (if I recall) about the BT50 and only give generic advise about their lifts in general in regards to all other ESC equipped vehicles.