Simpson desert Crossing in a JKU - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-04-2014
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 186 Times in 124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoB View Post
great write up and pics mate.

well done!!
Very well said!

That was a great read and the pics are awesome !!
Old 05-04-2014
MudSplasher

Liked 133 Times in 104 Posts

Thinking of doing this trip with some mates next year.
What mods did you do to the JK, What mods if any did you wish you had/done before you left?

Do you have a map of the route you went?
Old 05-04-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Great report I cant wait to do Fraser in our JK and Camper later this year
Old 06-04-2014
CrawlerStar

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default Simpson desert Crossing in a JKU

Great write up , thank you for the effort ! Did the radiator expansion bottle crack along the seam join in the middle?
Old 06-04-2014
AJOR Bronze

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

Bloody good write up. Thanks for sharing! Cheers.
Old 06-04-2014
Senior Newbie

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Default Responce to some of your questions

Thanks for the positive feedback guys, I think its important to share our experiences so we don't have to make the same mistakes over and can just enjoy getting out there.

Expansion tank
first crack was at the base of the small inlet on the side of the tank, once that was fixed we did about another 400km on dirt corrugated roads and then it became obvious the seam had cracked. Araldite did the job both times, found a tank at a wrecker for just over $100, Jeep wanted nearly $300.

Pic showing the crack in the pipe where coolant came out and the araldite fix after it cooled.

Mods - my JKU has the following fitted
ARB front and rear bars
OME suspension
ARB long range tank - extra 63 ltrs
GME 80 channel UHF
IPF Spotties - came in very handy on the leg into Alice as it was dark for the last 200km and there were plenty of roos and cattle on the road.
factory rear diff locker - didn't use it on this trip
factory sway bar disconnect
Custom rear cargo shelf
fridge slide
LED lights fitted in rear cargo area
twin 12v outlets in rear cargo area
ARB twin compressor mounted in the rear cargo area
Rhino roof tray
OUT 4X4 roof liners - on a trip like this in summer don't leave home without them, fantastic product
Tigerz 11 awning
Dirty dog cargo barrier

I removed the rear seat and replaced the mounting bolts with tie down loops from Bunning's. this allowed me to put plastic tubs in the rear and tie them down firmly with ratchet straps.

One of the best things I took was a LED camping light strip from LED Unlimited, a very flexible solution to lighting outside the car and very bright, also fitted with a dimmer.

Some pics of the mods and rear shelf system loaded for the trip

LED lights from LED Unlimited

Loaded cargo area

When I was building them

Hope this answers most of your questions I will put together a map soon and post that up as well, may take a few days

and a WK2 Grand Cherokee Laredo
Old 08-04-2014
Senior Newbie

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Default route

A rough map of the route we took.

It was a little different on the ground but this is roughly the route.

and a WK2 Grand Cherokee Laredo
Post New Thread  Reply