Roof rack options to carry kayaks? On hardtop - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-05-2014
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

Have a look at this link

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...=131242&page=8

My Frontrunner rack is mounted through the roof to the roll bar see further link, the other is the cheaper load bar system which is the rails and yes is drilled into roof, there website does say 2010+ but it's really up to 2010 as the rack won't fit a 2010+ as I experienced.

http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com...l#.U2Tac38aySM

http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com...l#.U2TZvX8aySM
Old 03-05-2014
westside wheeler

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default Roof rack options to carry kayaks? On hardtop

Anyone have a aev one, So much for wanting to keep the price down .
Old 03-05-2014
CrawlerStar

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

Aev rack is pretty much the same as the freefrunner rack as to how it mounts.
Old 04-05-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 115 Times in 82 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Re: Roof rack options to carry kayaks? On hardtop

Hey there, know your talking racks, but an 'easy trailer' is worth considering @ $850 delivered to your door. As I have 2 yaks, I have added a H frame since the photo. Will try and get a photo up. Re racks the AEV rack looks the goods, but goes through the hardtop to attach to the roll bars

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app
Old 04-05-2014
westside wheeler

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default Roof rack options to carry kayaks? On hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead View Post
Hey there, know your talking racks, but an 'easy trailer' is worth considering @ $850 delivered to your door. As I have 2 yaks, I have added a H frame since the photo. Will try and get a photo up. Re racks the AEV rack looks the goods, but goes through the hardtop to attach to the roll bars

Hi fathead, the trailer is a good option but I will be pulling a jayco expanda behind the jeep. And wanted the kayaks on top of jeep. Cheers
Old 04-05-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 115 Times in 82 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Re: Roof rack options to carry kayaks? On hardtop

Hi ian, fair call if also wanting to tow. Pro 4x4 (I think) here in adelaide also do an internal frame (their design) which bolts through the hardtop to rhino racks.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1399157234666.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	67832  
Old 04-05-2014
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As promised, pics.

The pros of this option are that no drilling of hard top or body. The rack is super solid in way it is mounted to A pillar and chassis. And the big one is that it can be used with soft top or no top. Depending on where you live and your own preferences, this might not be an issue. But for me, having to have the hard top on any time I want to load stuff to the roof was a big deciding factor. This rack can swap between hard top, soft top, no top readily.

Dave at Uneek recently designed me some steel spreader bars that are removable and can be added across the rack in any position. These are perfect for taking the load of kayaks and can be removed to put set up a double swag on the roof or load other camping gear etc. Dynamic weight limit around 125kg, static over 300kg

The loader you can see in the third pic is a strongarm kayak loader. It lets me load and unload the kayaks by myself while the kids throw rocks in the water. It is height adjustable to easily meet the Jeep's overall height. Fortunately I am 6ft 2.

The cons of this sort of full setup are cost, and overall height increase which needs considering in carparks etc. It just fits in my carport by 50mm.

Last edited by Harley; 04-05-2014 at 12:43 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply