When do You use 4Hi and 4Low - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-05-2014

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoB View Post
Q. regardless of whether you are in 4H or 4L on the sand, do you disable the traction control?

By far, many people will agree that on sand this is critical.
ESP is always disengaged using the manual override switch mod as soon as 4wd is engaged. I have however always mainly used 4Hi most of the time I am off road weather on the beach or in the mud only engaging 4Low when things get real tricky, but after a bit of reading etc I am thinking I have been using the wrong approach.
Oh and I have never turned over drive off as I do not find I am speeds in sand where OD would kick it.
Old 23-05-2014
Recreational Jeeper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default When do You use 4Hi and 4Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay View Post
So for eg, transferring from pavement to sand when you just about to enter the entrance to a beach, is it better to go hi or lo?

IMO momentum is key when driving on soft sand so choose your range dependant on what speed you can manage. Also tyre pressures are a must for any off-roading. 4L would work better for a short run up if it was a tricky entrance to navigate. 4H on the hard stuff at low tide.

I'm hearing more and more about not using "overdrive" in various situations, especially towing.. What are the disadvantages to overdrive???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23-05-2014
Just Real Jeeps Club

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 80 Times in 46 Posts

Im running 35"s with 4:88 gears, as soon as Im off road it goes into low range & stays there until I get back on the hard top, If I run in high range in hilly areas it doesn't take long to over heat the transmission & get the warning lights up on the dash, low range it mostly stays cool

Black 1983 CJ8, Black 1994 XJ

http://www.justrealjeeps.com
Old 23-05-2014
DetroitDemon

Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepha900 View Post
IMO momentum is key when driving on soft sand so choose your range dependant on what speed you can manage. Also tyre pressures are a must for any off-roading. 4L would work better for a short run up if it was a tricky entrance to navigate. 4H on the hard stuff at low tide.

I'm hearing more and more about not using "overdrive" in various situations, especially towing.. What are the disadvantages to overdrive???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Overdrive works the transmission way too hard when towing and you will likely over heat the car and trans. You need to allow it to rev more freely so turn over drive off when towing
Old 23-05-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 128 Times in 63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaComms View Post
With the gearing in my 2010 sport manual (stock 3.21 difs and 33's) I tend to run in low range a lot of the time. Around Land Cruiser park for 3 days it never got out of low range even on the normal tracks. In soft sand I am always in low range but when I hit the low tide sands its back to high.the other advantage of low is it automatically disengages the esp system.

Sent from a tiny keyboard with fat fingers, apologies for my spelling. .
same here with 35s and 4:88

Our Offroad Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/go4x4media
Old 23-05-2014
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For the beach - unless on hard sand at low tide, i'm in low range - the Sport transfer case is perfect for this - perfect getting on and off the beach as well. I do the 'steering wheel dance' to disable everything ESP related when airing down, and leave it off until I'm on my way home again. Never had a hot transmission warning despite a few extended runs in soft sand up the beach.

Its worth investing in a USB Bluetooth dongle / app for your smartphone to keep an eye on trans temps too.
Old 23-05-2014
Established Member

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

Disagree with turning OD off when driving in sand in 4L. I tried that the other week, and whilst it worked fine for getting around at a slow pace, it's difficult to build up speed. With OD off in 4L, it won't allow the trans to go above 3rd gear. So if you are on a stretch of sand where you can get some speed up, the trans will sit in 3rd and you'll be revving the tits off ur engine. So I reckon you don't need to turn OD off when in low range on the sand. Just leave OD on and the increased revs and less load on the trans should stop any overheating issues. Just my experience, others may have different opinions.
Post New Thread  Reply