Sway Bar Upgrade? - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-06-2014
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaComms View Post
A thicker or stronger bar I could only see of use for on road with a very heavy set up to reduce roll. Like if you were loading ul a roof top tent and other accesories up high on a significantly lifted vehicle. Otherwise yoj only disconnect it off road so a heavier one isn't really any use there.

Sent from a tiny keyboard with fat fingers, apologies for my spelling. .
Interesting. Why then do Hellwig make street and off-road models?
Old 14-06-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJ View Post
Why not go with a dual rate sway bar like the Teraflex unit? I've got the S/T which is just on or disconnected but the dual rate would give that element of control off road.
Here's a link to the write-up I did when I fitted mine. Since then they have gone to a forged arm. You can see how much thicker the Teraflex swaybar is though in the comparison photo. (The links have been replaced with short links and it works perfectly now)
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...ad.php?t=97443
Thanks. I will look at this. I have looked at these units before and the feedback/reviews. I like the idea but not sure what to believe!
Old 14-06-2014
RubiconSlammer

Liked 74 Times in 52 Posts

Speak to Redbox, he has one on his jku and it works well, definitely on my list.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Old 14-06-2014
No Winching

Liked 504 Times in 291 Posts

After a fair bit of grief with my Rubi swaybar ( water, wear ) I needed a replacement.

A mate with a Hemi conversion had removed his Currie front bar as he found it too light on the road and gave it to me to try. For my driving style I also found it too light on road but not bad off road, which as i understand it is what its designed for.

Remember trailering rigs to and from trips isn't uncommon in the US so road handeling isn't always important to them.

Ended up with a single rate Teraflex bar, which I'm happy with, its adjustable so you can "tune it" to your preference and its VERY easy to disconnect. Still use the standard rear swaybar which gives some lateral stability when disconnected off road.

Thought about the dual rate unit but couldn't afford it at the time even though its a great idea. Heavy on the road, light off road.

Have heard that TF had issues with the dual rate bar - IIRC the inner ( off road ) bar was failing at the spline. Probably fixed now but there was a bit of a witch hunt on at least one US forum that's known for bad mouthing products that don't sponsor their site.

Worth a look IMO..... and we fitted one to the Hemi conversion and it handled much better on the road.
Old 14-06-2014
Established Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Yep I have the Teraflex dual rate front sway bar, love it I have it set to the hardest setting, then on the trail turn the know under the drivers flare you are disconected, it works well stops roll out off camber stuff on trail. Turn knob reconnected.
I did get the rear, fitted it them found I didn't have the backspace for it.
I am keen to find a rear swaybar similer to stock but a touch beaver rate, I was thinking getting one made up, slightly longer as I run synergy swaybar drop brackets that pull the bar back, so arms 1-2" longer say 15% heaveyer.that kinda thing.

Love my Teraflex swaybar, Amy pics of me on a ramp is with this bar, my jk flexes hard.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app
Old 14-06-2014
SwampDigger

Liked 143 Times in 102 Posts

I want replace the front specifically for on road, not concerned for offroad as I disconnected it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.ironrockoffroad.com
Old 14-06-2014
No Winching

Liked 504 Times in 291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbox View Post
I am keen to find a rear swaybar similer to stock but a touch beaver rate, I was thinking getting one made up, slightly longer as I run synergy swaybar drop brackets that pull the bar back, so arms 1-2" longer say 15% heaveyer.that kinda thing.
Ah... longer arms will make it softer.........

A shorter arm will enhance the sway bar’s effect on cornering. A longer arm will lessen the sway bar’s effects. Shorter arms will tighten the car up. This increases the bar’s effective stiffness by reducing the length of the lever‐arm through which the wheel acts on the bar. A longer arm will soften the sway bar and allow the car to turn better. The effects of the sway‐bar‐arm changes will mostly be felt on entrance and exit of the corner, and less so during steady‐state cornering.