Help me spend my money - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-07-2014
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 112 Times in 63 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouse
Yes... spend the absolute minimum with the Stealer.

IMO what they are offering isn't anything you can't get elsewhere if that's what you like - and most likely at a better price. Of course the aftermarket will have more choices as well. Mopar JK ( Lovels ) lift kits aren't highly regarded.

I also wouldn't trust them to fit a light bulb properly.

And..... if you spend the cash at a REPUTABLE aftermarket supplier, you will develop a good working relationship with them when you want other parts without mortgaging you left nut or you need some genuine expert advice.
Can't agree with this more MightyMouse.

Just last week I saw a brand new Rubicon being fitted with some Uneek gear at my local aftermarket place - mechanic had picked up the car from the Jeep dealership for the client. The buyer had opted to get the 'Mopar' lift fitted at the dealership - my mechanic showed me where they had smashed out the bottom of the battery tray to get access to the top shock bolt - just smashed out a chunk of plastic as big as a fist. Dickheads.

Lowrpm, as for the gear on your list, JeepKonection in Melbourne do the AEV bar for $1,675.00 and the AEV Snorkel for $495. I dare say both are cheaper there than from the dealership.

AEV Premium Bar.

AEV Snorkel.

Fitting the front bar is a piece of cake - no need to jack the car, just get some hand tools and some jack stands (or a mate) to hold the bar up while you line up and bolt it in. Snorkel is a bit more involved as you have to cut your bonnet to install, but it you have a look at the very first post in this thread here you'll see how to do it. I wouldn't trust the dealership to trim the rear pinch seam let alone cut the bonnet. Doing both jobs yourself will save you buckets.

Even fitting a winch isn't difficult, if you have any dramas, just jump on here, take some photos and ask for help, plenty of members here did their own.

I'd go with different rubber, but that's just my preference. Don't want to open that can of worms.

Good luck and welcome on board.

2008 Black JKU - Uneek4x4 Bars & Sliders, AEV 2.5", 295/70 Nitto Trail Grapplers, Method NV 305's.

Last edited by The Beard; 13-07-2014 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Autocorrect...
Old 13-07-2014
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

My 2c

Tyres, Mickey Thompson ATZ P3's because A/T3's are more road bias & the ATZ's P3's are more aggressive 50/50 tyre (& they look )

Not sure of Vic rego laws so you would need to check, but a 7% increase in tyre diameter is now allowed (in NSW)
275/70 are only a 2.3% increase in size about 32"
285/70 are a 4% increase giving you just under 33" depending on brand.
You can do some tyre size calculations here
http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

I would be getting the dealer to fit the larger tyres if they will. May reduce any warranty issues, aka them claiming you fitted to bigger tyres so voids a claim.

Snorkel
Same as tyres, if they fit it from new you should have no warranty issues.

Lift & bar work, personal choice, to many options out there
Double Black have an excellent rep so +2 on them.

Winch,
Warn have a good rep but are expensive, have heard good things about Runva.
Old 13-07-2014
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 584 Times in 369 Posts

1. Go a Runva winch...cheaper than the Warn, have a good rep and excellent proven warranty.
2. Buy and fit your snorkel (AEV) yourself...it'll be half what the dealer is asking.
3. I just fitted a Uneek front bumper, and Runva 9500lb winch....did it myself, with a few hand tools in the garage...didn't even need to jack the JK up at all - easy job.
4. Get a known brand aftermarket lift...the MOPAR lift does not enjoy much love here.
5. Tyres - very subjective and "proposed use" driven decision. I personally like Coopers, others don't. I'd go for the ST/Maxx, myself.
Old 13-07-2014
Senior Newbie

Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts

Wow, excellent feedback already, and plenty to think about. I think I agree re getting the dealer to do a few things in order to avoid any warranty hassles, but I'd really like to do as much as possible myself now - after thinking about it. And yes, the money saved is part of it, but only because it will let me get more stuff.

Clarky, will the 285/70s fit befoe I get the lift, or will I have to do the lift first?
Old 13-07-2014
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

There is a tread here in the JK section about that, best see if you can find it as I don't know.
Old 13-07-2014
RubiconSlammer

Liked 74 Times in 52 Posts

Some people have no issues with the 285s before the lift and some have some minor rubbing on full lock and flex, seems to be the luck of the draw.

As far as the rest of your list you'll save a lot of money staying away from the dealer as has already been said, I'd also look at runva over the warn winch as well.

Edit: Just saw Leigh's post My dealer is starting to stock Uneek gear but I'd hate to see the price through them, just buy direct from Dave @ Uneek4x4.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Last edited by AroGantz; 13-07-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old 13-07-2014
CrawlerStar

Liked 112 Times in 63 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AroGantz View Post
Edit: Just saw Leigh's post My dealer is starting to stock Uneek gear but I'd hate to see the price through them, just buy direct from Dave @ Uneek4x4.
Plus the discount for AJOR members - it's a no brainer really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowrpm
Clarky, will the 285/70s fit befoe I get the lift, or will I have to do the lift first?
OD of the tyre will be an issue - actual tyre size between brands varies a fair bit. Width of the tyre will be an issue too. I wouldn't be too worried about it with 285's - just get rid of the factory air dam behind the front bar and you should be right.

2008 Black JKU - Uneek4x4 Bars & Sliders, AEV 2.5", 295/70 Nitto Trail Grapplers, Method NV 305's.
Post New Thread  Reply