Newbie, just got my first jeep cj5 - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Early Model Jeep
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-12-2014
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,590 Times in 4,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeath91 View Post
Yeah wasn't too sure how I would go considering that engine design has been out since the 40s, I do know the previous owner was using it to pull a 16 disc plow after his tractor broke down lol
16 disk probably makes it on par with a 165 Massey Ferguson tractor. It would have been in low range.
CJ6np435 has much more knowledge on your jeep than most of us.
Best you spend some time on google.
31's are a good size to have. Probably the cheapest 4wd tyre size.
Old 28-12-2014
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 94 Times in 69 Posts
Thumbs up Good Score

Quote:
hey everyone, new to the forum as I'm after ideas and discussion as I just got my first jeep. My intentions are to restore it aswell as make it very offload capable. I live in the Brisbane area so the plan is to make it to fraiser island in the near future and some 4x4 parks. Potential swaps I have looked at are gm gen 3 v8 as I know my way very well around these, ford 302 Windsor (only cause I have two at home taking up space)
Hey nice score
There is so much to share with you it's better to have a chat in person so which side of Brisbane are you.
I wouldn't recommend 35's if you really want to wheel it and stay paint side up both on the road or trails and it'll fall over just as easy on the Beach + the fun police will
love you
302 Windsor or 170, 200 or 250 Ford sixes should bolt up to your bell housing but I could be wrong.
Being a Kaiser Jeep your on 80.5" wheelbase, narrow track probably dana27 front & offset dana44 rear. The 27 is not suitable for any hard wheeling + cost heaps to rebuild/ brakes.

The list of upgrades is long so I'll send you a P.M. shortly

CJ

BIGGER IS ONLY BIGGER
the nut's behind the wheel make all the difference

Last edited by JeepCJ; 28-12-2014 at 04:53 PM.
Old 28-12-2014
I just registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Loving the info guys, greatly appreciated. I was hoping to go a 33" at minimum, I have already looked at a disc brake conversion for front and front and rear mechanical lockers. Not really after any comforts as it will be purely for 4wding/shooting. I would like to keep anything that's not mechanical as original as possible and have done some research on the engine that's in it and a few guys have said if your after reliability they are great, move slowly but will keep moving all day. Thankfully the missus is all keen as I am for it so she is going to help with a bit of funding. I am located out towards Ipswich but am yet to go collect it from my parents property in nsw. Best thing is it has been sheded since 87 and taken out for the occasional run around the block. Great to see soo much parts available out of the USA only thing I'm in major need of though is a complete windscreen assembly
Old 28-12-2014
CrawlerStar

Yep 33's would work well tho you'll have to bin the stock diffs (keep them aside for later project).

If you use the AMC diffs from FSJ you'll get the wide track diffs and disc brake front to suit the V8 (most are 3.54:1 ratio's) or possibly the better option is CJ7 disc brake frt Dana30 / Dana44 rear & most should come with 4.10:1 ratio's & better to run 33's. Remember the rear diff is centre pumpkin so you'll have to change the transfer case

BIGGER IS ONLY BIGGER
Old 28-12-2014
I just registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

What do you mean by centre pumpkin?
Old 28-12-2014
CrawlerStar

Quote:
What do you mean by centre pumpkin?
Txt me on the number on the P.M. & I'll send MMS pic's as I don't use photo bucket and can post up pic's here

BIGGER IS ONLY BIGGER
Old 28-12-2014
I just registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey I just text you, even with lockers these diffs are no good? I know the rear is a dana 44 but not sure what the front is
Post New Thread  Reply