2014 Grand Cherokee Reliability?? - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-08-2015
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
2014 diesel just over 12 months old 26k no issues what so ever. Love the car, powerful, economical, and comfortable...

Hutch-2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Blackhawk..CRD feel the power.
Ditto To That Hutch .....Bob
Old 26-08-2015
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Bob and Hutch thank you for the feedback much appreciated, Hutch you have the EXACT jeep that I want, super jealous mate!!
Old 26-08-2015
I just registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Rich26 thank you for your detailed response you are a legend mate! It's great to hear from someone with 'inside knowledge' it really puts me at ease! Now a question for you, if I purchase a used 2014 Grand Cherokee which comes with 3 years manufacturers warranty am I able to extend that to 5 years or is that only possible at the time of purchase? Thank you!!!!!!!!!
Old 26-08-2015
RubiconSlammer

Liked 261 Times in 159 Posts

My 2014 is in for its 30K service today.
No problems to date.....runs like a clock, goes like a steam train.

Look at any brand forum and you find problems. After all, that is part of what forums are for.....helping others solve niggles with their vehicles.

I am still a forum member from my previous brand vehicle. Three of the current first page posts on this forum are.....'Blue Smoke', 'Power fold wing mirror problem' & 'High pitch wine when turned off'.
Think you get my point.

As rich26 mentioned, find yourself a good dealer or in my case a good mechanic.

Tefflon Don - I had the 5 year warranty included when I purchased mine last year. Catch was that you had to take it back to the same dealer for every service. There are also some questions going around on how reliable these warranties are??

Cheers, Craig
Old 26-08-2015
I just registered

Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts

Hi Don,

What are you comparing it against mate?

I bought a 2014 GJC Laredo CRD in Feb 15. I had quite a bit of time to make my decision as it was an insurance payout.

I did a detailed comparison of the JGC against the Toyota Kluger, FJ Cruiser (which i previously owned), Hilux, Ford Ranger and Territory, Isuzu D-Max and MU-X, VW Toureg, Mitsu Pajero, Subaru Outback, Kia Sorento and a few others.

Without going into pages of detail, the JGC combines better off road potential than most of the soft roaders, better cabin finish and aesthetic than most of the "real 4wds" and the engine is better than any of the above. Obviously the suspension is far better than any ute class, but surprisingly better than most of the softroaders also.

My final decision came down to three vehicles - Toyota FJ Cruiser, Jeep GC, Mitsu Pajero.

The Pajero is dated, has an older, weaker engine, and is expected to be redesigned and to be given a new engine soon. it needs it. It didn't handle as well as the Jeep, had far less torque, and the in car entertainment/nav sucked. its at least 6 years behind the pace.

The FJ was more about love for me. I had one for two years, and they are an excellent car. But again, the Jeep had better handling, better engine torque and acceleration (no diesel option for the FJ). The fj also has the bare minimum inside. no auto lights, no auto wipers, manual seat adjustment. Crap that I don't really care about, but is nice to have.

The Jeep dealer knew I had done my research and was on the edge, so when he offered me an excellent deal, the comparing was over. The servicing and fault management has been excellent, they even fixed a wiper blade I broke myself for free.

Jeep are extremely aware of their bad reputation, and have been working hard to remove it for years. As other people have said "Ask someone who says a Jeep is unreliable if they own one, the answer is always no."

Its all about value for money for me. the Jeep was the best deal by a decent margin. I am enjoying the hell out of mine!

But hey if you've got $100k to burn, buy a twin turbo V8 Landcruiser. i'll be jealous as hell, but still right behind you on the trails. :P
Old 26-08-2015
RubiconSlammer

Liked 279 Times in 197 Posts

I've got a 2014 CRD Limited, had it for just over a year, no problems so far. I did lots of research too, and yes I came across plenty of horror stories, and they only reinforce the reputation. But as others have said, all makes can get the odd lemon. There are no real pattern failures to speak of, there was a dpf issue that was causing lots of problems for a while, but there was a software update in Dec2014 that seems to have that one fixed.

As others have said, having a good service center as opposed to a bad one can make or break the experience if/when you do run into problems.

Jeep have been working on their service standards lately, and the ACCC have been investigating Jeep dealers for failing to meet obligations under the 2011 consumer act changes. So they have been a bit more active in fixing things, and even buying back vehicles that have had ongoing issues, since that started.

One issue is lack of parts in Australia, it can take a long time to get a replacement for some things.

For me, the driving experience for the money outweighed any increased risk of owning a Grand Cherokee over any other option. Having said that with the amount of electronics in this thing, I will probably be looking to move on after 5 years or so.

Oh, and I don't think the extended warranties are worth it, there are normally restrictions and limitations on them that mean you still end up paying for it. And the consumer laws give you some protection past the warranty period in some cases.
Old 26-08-2015
I just registered

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Warranties are a tricky business.. A branded product on a new vehicle ie in this case a 'Jeep' warranty was about 1,000-1,500 per year COST to a dealer.. even if you got it at retail which yoy could these days you would have to be looking at 2-3k for two years of cover. You could throw that 2or3k into the sharemarket or your mortgage until you needed it (if you did) and you could potentially have 3or4k to SPEND on whatever goes wrong before you start being in front. That said, it is good insurance in some cases - but who's to know. The warranty I'm talking about here is supposed to be an extention of the manufacturers warranty WITH THE SAME terms and conditions.. so these are usually branded as such. The other warranties are more of an insurance product marketed to the dealers by outside sources, wi5h profit margins for all. I wouldnt flat out say no to one of these, instead I would say check the conditions VERY carefully.. eg you may void your warranty if you go over your scheduled service by only a few k's or days, you may be required to have all services done at the dealer (at a charge determined by them), you may have an excess to pay on certain items, you may have a limit on certain items eg transmission 'up to $1,500' will be paid, you may not be able to get your car fixed at any reputable place other than the dealership, you may have a lengthy claim process to go through... I think that about covers it! Not saying stay away just saying, be aware, dont kid yourself 'it's all good' and don't make a decision on the spot - ask for the policy document and tell them you'll get back to them- its only fair. Finally if you think the policy is overpriced hit them up for 500 off. Finally, don't expect any warranty to be cheap - its non-japanese, its a 4wd with high-tech stuff that costs a lot to replace, and its a jeep which rightly or wrongly people are scared of - if you were an insurance company how would you load your premium compared to a 2wd base model corolla?... hope this helps.
Post New Thread  Reply