WK2 suspension woes - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 16-10-2015
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Interested as well. Have also been keen with the ARB/OME lift due to the strengthened front struts and replacement shocks but keep hearing of issues on this forum....
Old 17-10-2015
Blackhawk

Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts

Their is someone on here that had done front struts and springs ARB and just read springs and has kept the rear self levelling shocks.

Hutch-2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Blackhawk..CRD feel the power.
Old 17-10-2015
I just registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check out my Ride(s)

Wow, definitely generating some interest. To respond to Ralix answer at 25.9cm that's just a whisker over 10 inches of travel which seems like a lot on standard suspension. The ARB strut has an extended length of 815mm and a closed length of 665mm which is only a travel distance of 150mm or 6 inches in the old language. Now I understand that's at the shock which sits midway between the pivot point and the full ark of the suspension travel so there should be some extra travel at the wheel.
Now I'm interested in Hobart WK2s response about his OME lift. You state no lift with bar n winch but that they came to the party and sorted it out for you, which is what should happen when you don't get the result you paid for. What did they do to sort it out for you. I may end up replacing this suspension with the struts and springs from OME myself.

For the record my lift in the front is about 65mm with no top out plates fitted.
I still need to know the open and closed specs on the stock shocks if anyone can help so I can make an informed decision which way to go. I need to get this sorted sooner rather than later so will keep you all updated as I can
Old 17-10-2015

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Part of the OME warranty is taking measures from the
rim to the bottom of the guard stock, then again after the new springs and shocks were fitted. In my case, before the bar and winch were fitted it was a 65mm lift, after the bar and winch (which were fitted by the same place just after the suspension) and 500km of travel, it was back to stock height.
OME made up a set of springs with a higher rate and fitted them at no cost to me. We are back to approximately 60mm above standard. I'll give you the measures once I've done 500km (and some towing next weekend) and tell you how I'm going.
But can't fault the service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17-10-2015
Blackhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozzy777 View Post
Wow, definitely generating some interest. To respond to Ralix answer at 25.9cm that's just a whisker over 10 inches of travel which seems like a lot on standard suspension. The ARB strut has an extended length of 815mm and a closed length of 665mm which is only a travel distance of 150mm or 6 inches in the old language. Now I understand that's at the shock which sits midway between the pivot point and the full ark of the suspension travel so there should be some extra travel at the wheel.

Now I'm interested in Hobart WK2s response about his OME lift. You state no lift with bar n winch but that they came to the party and sorted it out for you, which is what should happen when you don't get the result you paid for. What did they do to sort it out for you. I may end up replacing this suspension with the struts and springs from OME myself.

For the record my lift in the front is about 65mm with no top out plates fitted.

I still need to know the open and closed specs on the stock shocks if anyone can help so I can make an informed decision which way to go. I need to get this sorted sooner rather than later so will keep you all updated as I can

I presumably have the same springs in the front and got no where near 60mm more like 30-35 and I was happy with that, to get 60 I thing something has not been fitted right. Just a hunch..

Old 17-10-2015
I just registered

Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozzy777 View Post
Wow, definitely generating some interest. To respond to Ralix answer at 25.9cm that's just a whisker over 10 inches of travel which seems like a lot on standard suspension.
The Information I provided is available at http://www.wk2jeeps.com/wk2_suspension.htm but I didnt detail that is the rear suspension, not the front.

For those who are asking who the suspension provider that has top out issues is, my response is that as I am a firm believer of "Innocent until proven guilty" and therefore am unwilling to name names. When I spoke directly to the provider, their statement was "any issues with our suspension lifts have been directly resolved with our customers, and any reports otherwise are simply slander" and I was not able to gather enough information to fully understand the way their installation works, presumably for copyright reasons. Until I fully understand the shortcomings of the system, I'm not going to make assumptions or jump to conclusions.

On this basis I would encourage anyone who has any issues with ANY/ALL lift providers not guaranteeing their work, not providing the service they quoted, or simply providing bad customer service to speak up on this forum for the benefit of others. I am happy to receive PMs otherwise, as I am interested in the details of your stories.

My current intention is to upgrade my 2014 WK2 Diesel Laredo with a front "Levelling spacer", to bring the front up slightly. The works are being completed this week, and I will report back on my experience with the supplier and the changes to my vehicle once I am confident I am responding in an unbiased manner.

Apologies to those that would like answers sooner, the options for upgrading our Jeeps are limited, and while I have invested time talking to those that were available, many others may have a different experience altogether. I have seen sincere posts on this forum detailing the success of many systems, which makes it extremely hard to rule out certain suppliers, especially when senior contributors have nothing but praise for the systems they are currently running.

Kozzy, sorry for derailing your thread, but I feel this may be a case of "you get what you pay for", and that lifting a vehicle by providing increased spring height without a matching shock length results in shock top out, which is only obvious to those who know the details of how a JGC suspension setup works (which isn't many people, I have discovered, and I am still learning myself). My dilemma is that part of me thinks providing springs without matching shocks is unethical, and the other part of my mind thinks that if people want to save $2000 and deal with a bit of shock top out, let em. My personal position is that my vehicle was purchased 8 months ago, and I know for a fact that increasing my spring travel voids my warranty on all frontal suspension components, wheels, drivetrain and chassis, which is a risk I am unwilling to take.

If any of you would like to discuss in detail, please feel free to PM me for my mobile number, as I am passionate about my vehicle and value the discussion over simply chest-beating on the forums. That being said, lets keep things open, unbiased and honest on the forums and start sharing our experiences, like Kozzy has done, it allows others to make their own decisions in a further informed manner.
Old 18-10-2015
Blackhawk

Default WK2 suspension woes

Ralix what spacer r u putting in.