Left front drive shaft KJ CRD - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-12-2015
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 171 Times in 115 Posts

The CRD engine in the JK has a different head, uses gears to drive both cams off the timing belt ( only one cams is belt driven, the other is geared off the cam).
My son has one, egr plumbing is slightly different as well.

Last edited by glend; 21-12-2015 at 08:06 PM.
Old 22-12-2015
CrawlerStar

Liked 86 Times in 59 Posts

John,
Yes so are you looking for another KJ CRD then?
If you mean a KK CRD, then yes this is going to cost quite a bit more, but that doesnt solve the engine for your KJ CRD though? a KK being the newer series VM engine, like used in the JK Wrangler.

glend,
Yes the later series VM engines used in the KK, JK have one camshaft, belt driven which drives the other cam. There are 2 versions of this engine, as in changes to the egr, injection system etc.

So glend it should be one of these engines, keeping in mind that the Colorado also prolly used a few different series of this engine..

R 425 DOHC (metal timing cover, 2.5lt, coventional turbo) early KJ
R 428 DOHC (metal timing cover, 2.8lt, conventional turbo) mid KJ
R 428 DOHC (metal timing cover, VGT turbo, egr changes) later KJ
RA 428 DOHC (plastic timing cover) early KK, JK
A 428 DOHC (plastic timing cover, egr changes) later KK, JK

Regards
Daz
Old 22-12-2015
AJOR Silver

Darren do you think the wiring loom would be much different for each? Beyond the KJ CRD there would be a DPF in the exhaust and the different egr system. Also the 2005 KJ CRD had the electric solenoid EGR valve like the US Liberty model of that year but they switched back to the vacuum EGR valve in the Australian and other Export models in the 2006/07 KJ CRD. The 2005s seem to have more EGR valve problems than the vacum ones, my mates 2005 never seemed to run very well. My 2007 has never had an EGR issue but it is blocked at the manifold and converted to a blowoff valve - love the dump sound (GDE tune of course so EGR valve is only used for overboost protection).
Old 22-12-2015
Senior Newbie

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Glend I didn't think there was any point (and difficult) to fitting a BOV to a diesel?? More benefit fitting a larger dump pipe??
Old 22-12-2015
AJOR Silver

It is more sophisticated than the rice burner dump valves. They all (KJ CRDs) have it already you just can't hear it. If you suddenly back off when accelerating boost pressure rises as the turbo pushes air into the intake but the engine is slowing so the pressure wave tries to escape back out the turbo vanes - you can sometimes hear this as compressor stall or blowback - especially if you have a snorkel, its almost like a bark. The boost dump is in the stock software, and GDE retain that code in their tunes. It momentarily blips the EGR valve open to bleed off over boost when you back off the throttle quickly in a loaded situation. It monitors boost, throttle position, and a couple of other inputs , when it detects a big swing off in throttle position with boost over a certain value the ECM will open the EGR valve - this allows the boost pressure to exit into the exhaust manifold via the EGR pipe instead of trying to surge back and escape through the turbo vanes . This protects the turbo vanes and actuator. If your EGR valve is open to the atmosphere you will hear the pressure release from the intake as a whooosh - but you can only open up the EGR in that way if you have a GDE tune which turns off all the stock EGR gas/soot injection activity in the normal software. I don't know that a larger dump pipe is a help as you need laminar flow in the exhaust system.
I spent some time discussing this with Keith at GDE before I opened up my EGR to the atmo, as you don't want it bleeding off boost in any other situation. It works great, and It's educational as it teaches you something about boost management and your aware of what happens in sudden back offs.

Last edited by glend; 22-12-2015 at 10:36 PM.
Old 23-12-2015
CrawlerStar

Liked 86 Times in 59 Posts

glend and john...

When ever I am doing a straight engine swap, regardless if its a Jeep or a Land Rover I always ensure I get the same engine series, so it will go straight in, bolt up and start.

If we take the two most similar engines, as in the KJ 2.5lt and the KJ later 2.8lt the differences straight up are:

*Harness is different, position of temp sensor is different, as is the computer mapping.
*Sensors are used differently, the early ones do a cross reference between the cam position sensor and the crankshaft position sensor, the later engine doesnt do this cross reference between the two sensors.
*EGR is different which includes coolant piping, exhaust etc.
*Oil filter position is different.
*Turbo is different and associated pipe work.
*All minor ancillary parts are different (alternator, water pump, thermostat housing etc)
*Injectors are different.

What is the same.....
*Basic block, I think even the bore is the same but its the stroke that is different.
*Cylinder head is close that they can be interchanged.
*Timing belt assembly is the same, minor differences in how the tensioner is mounted.

Once you get any further away from these two engines, as in a later KK, JK its becomes mind boggling..... but not totally impossible though..

So if you got the same series engine from the Colorado then the basics will prolly be the same... On looking more into it, it seems early Colorado's might have used the early VM engine as used in the KJ and changed to the later VM engine as used in the KK, JK, which sort of makes sence.

There are prolly a lot more vehicles out there that use some form of VM engine, I believe the very first old old model Toyota Hilux used a VM engne (but its an old OHV engine).

Regards
Daz
Old 23-12-2015
CrawlerStar

Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts

Thanks Darren.
I think I better look for a stat writeoff KJ for the swap otherwise I might find it too difficult.
John
Post New Thread  Reply