Thinking about doing THIS! - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 24-07-2016
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts

Cool mine is already missing the heat shield make even hotter with that crap under the bonnet
plan is to buy them off ebay tomorrow night pension day Tuesday $200ish including postage when I get them in about 3 weeks from the states I will start a new thread with pics dealing with the installation
Old 24-07-2016

Liked 61 Times in 27 Posts

I fitted the Hyline louvers (preferred the look of them and got a mate in the US who got them and shipped them for me) to mine a few weeks ago and it has had no positive or negative impact on running temps when normally driving around.

Prior to this it did a cooling system overall (Flush, Radiator, Waterpump, Thermostat, Removed thermos and put Viscous back).

I also out a new Stacked Plate Trans cooler in, bypassing the radiator and I have to work out a way to get more heat into the trans as it runs at around 140-150 deg (Farenheight as thats what the gauge is in) now, but that's another story.

After all that it ran at (normal driving) at around 90-91 deg according to the scan gauge, climbing to around 93-95 when you pull up at lights before recovering

Since fitting them it sits around 87 deg and climbs to around 90-91 when you pull up at lights before recovering.

I don't seem to get as much heat soak when you pull up and shut it off and the bonnet gets no where as hot as it used to.

It got a good wash today and no issues with water getting in but I did pull all the connectors and give them the old dielectric grease treatment just as a bit of insurance.

Saying all that I never really made the effort to note down air temps etc to get a real comparison, but 'seat of the pants' feeling says they have made a difference.

Last edited by doka404; 24-07-2016 at 09:52 PM.
Old 25-07-2016
AJOR Bronze

doka404 serious vents there man far out!
well its no more bbqs for me pushed the buy it now button on ebay all up $217 posted to me from the usa shame the aud is down 12 months ago shopping was more fun LOL
waiting on the postie now!
Old 25-07-2016
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,114 Times in 694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluBelle View Post
looks cool jimmyg I have been thinking about this for a while junglejuice the negative air flow thing I don't think it really matters unless you are going 200kph its hot in there I have read everything there is replaced the entire cooling system professionally flushed the entire system replaced hoses runs great but you can still cook a bbq on the bonnet so I am going to do the vents

cant hurt and jimmyb s look cool
markjcherokee I live in the outback so if it rains I will put a tarp over it and drive the PT seriously I don't think that much water will get in and ruin your day
You have clearly missed my point re the vents facing forwards to force air into the engine bay, this is totally opposite to what the others on here such as JimmyB have done and I also have done.

BUT as I have said many, many times this is an enhancement that does help to lower under bonnet temps, mainly at low speed BUT if you have a cooling issue THIS IS NOT THE FIX!!!!!!!!!!!

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 25-07-2016
CrawlerStar

Liked 106 Times in 53 Posts

What vents are you running there JJ?
Old 25-07-2016
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,114 Times in 694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAKLISTED View Post
What vents are you running there JJ?
They're just some cheapies that I spotted at BCF when I was in there, I was going to use the stainless steel ones like I have done in the past,

But as mine is red with black trim I figured it was a better match....

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 25-07-2016
AJOR Bronze

junglejuice sorry man the louvers will be facing backwards the way they should face cooling I have replaced the thermostat 3 times the radiator 2wice new water pump hoses full coolant flush clutch fan is good so is the electric fan just gets hot!
now saying that it does not BOIL! I can drive all day 1000 ks and I sit on 100 to 105 none of this 90/91 deg I hear people talk about on these forums
the only time its 90/91 is when I leave Bris at around 1 am till I get to roma the cool night air run but you can see the temp gauge move going up the Toowoomba range at 3 in the morning the hot running thing really pisses me off I have done everything! you know they get hot you are running 2 electric fans
My PT runs cool the commodore runs cool both cars you can see the ground in the engine bay there is room for the heat to disperse no room in the Jeep and I have the LPG converter and plumbing now I have heard that the lpg converter helps cool the coolant?
I dunno? at times I have had to run the heater in summer to bleed a few degrees off I love my XJ it just scares me running so HOT I hope this helps get rid of the heat build up
My transmission cooler is one of the ones that bypass the radiator
do I need to put a whirlybird on the bonnet !!

more examples of my crazy cooling
a couple of weeks ago I was going to Longreach until my o2 sensor wires melted it was a cool morning I went all the way to Barcaldine temp never went over 90 ish 106 ks went to the dump yesterday towing a 6x4 box trailer of rubbist 3 klm round trip average speed 50 kph temp was a quick 100
I will try anything as I want to go offroad
Post New Thread  Reply