Oil level rising - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 19-04-2017
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 48 Times in 33 Posts

High Pressure pump is leaking through drive into engine. Get is seen to NOW, this will destroy the engine!
Old 19-04-2017
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 83 Times in 51 Posts

From memory the early model D4D hiluxes were known for this. A faulty injector seal would cause diesel to leak into the cylinder while the car was parked and the fuel would leak past the piston into the sump eventually killing the engine. The telltale for the hiluxes from memory was a heap of smoke on startup after sitting overnight but they had no DPF, so the smoke may not appear in your case due to the DPF trapping it? Just a theory.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk
Old 19-04-2017
Full Flexer

Liked 573 Times in 294 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutman View Post
I seem to remember reading something in the manual about oil level increasing during extra fuel being injected during a forced DPF regen. In any case, checking and reading consistent oil level on the dipstick on these VM diesels is an absolute goatroot and I get different readings from first pulling out the dipstick on a cold motor and subsequent readings a few seconds later.
Been through measuring oil level, the "O" ring causes the oil to sit to high in the dipstick tube, so first reading is too high, the manual also says to wait 10 - 15 minutes after shutting down the engine

The best method is to not push the dipstick all the way in, just to the "O' ring about 10 mm short and add that to the reading on the stupidly black anodized end. Why the hell would you make a diesel dipstick black and not silver?

Bob
Old 16-12-2017
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts

An old thread I know but I am wondering what the outcome of this was. I have recently purchased a MY2014 Overland Diesel with 90000km. Checked the oil the other day and was up to the "A" on MAX. I drained it back down to the full mark and have noticed its back up too the "A" Also when you check it with the motor cold (after sitting overnight) the oil level is just below the minimum mark, wipe the oil off it and recheck it and it is up around the "A" on MAX again. WTF! how can this be. The engine runs well is averaging 9.4L/100km has a full service history by Jeep, seems to go as good as all the others I test drove and has the least amount of blow by from all the ones I looked at. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 27-07-2019
Full Flexer

Liked 373 Times in 211 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Have had the oil level rising issue on my 2015 WK2 diesel since Oct last year accompanied by the oil life monitor telling me to do an oil change at approx every 3000 km - oil life % would drop 1% for every 200 km till about the 850 km mark then it would start dropping 1% every 20-30 km plus the hwy average ltrs/100km wouldn't go much below 9.2 ltrs.
Had the injector correction values checked, the HP injector pump dive shaft oil seal checked for leakage (off vehicle)& tell tale leakage hole checked as not blocked & free to drain to outside the timing cover- all checked out OK. The DPF soot level was found to be at 70% (no evic messages)& a forced regeneration couldn't be done. DPF was removed from vehicle, cleaned in a machine, & refitted to vehicle. The DPF differential pressure sensor was replaced. A forced regen was completed which reduced the soot loading to 7% & the DPF life data was reset. Fuel ltr/100km highway cycle has now dropped back down to 7.2 ltrs/100 km which was being achieved when the vehicle was new. Will continue to monitor the dipstick level, oil life % indicator & fuel dilution %.
For vehicles being serviced by Jeep/mechanics with scan tools it is worth having the DPF soot %level checked to see what levels are present so as to give you an idea about whether a forced regen is required as part of the service before they change the oil etc.

Cheers.

Last edited by TR Laredo; 27-07-2019 at 06:09 PM.
Old 27-07-2019
Full Flexer

Liked 440 Times in 265 Posts

That oil life monitor behaviour is very strange mate. Do you do lots of very short trips?
Old 28-07-2019
Full Flexer

Liked 373 Times in 211 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Very few short trips (avoid those), mainly highway cycle-non peak hour traffic. Oil/filter change & oil life % reset 2 days before driving Melb-Syd-Coffs Harbour. Dipstick oil level was sitting on the letter "A" in max after 1932 km with 64% oil life indicated. Drained & refilled oil, kept a sample for testing - did not reset the oil life %. The trip back added another 1578 km & the oil life dropped to 4%- oil level was back on the letter "A". Both oil samples tested at about 7% fuel dilution. Did change the MAF in Sydney due to a check engine light caused by MAF sensor going out of range (no further intermittent low idle shudders since then- ongoing since Jan 2018 ) thought this might have been a contributor but oil level still rose afterwards. Even checked the DPF temp sensor (05146662AB) resistance range (checked OK) as per TSB 18-012-16 http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_1801216.pdf.
One service manager (Jeep) told me they ignore the oil life % as they see erratic % readings all the time. What they don't do is measure how much oil they drain out of the engine ie: 8.5 -9.5 ltrs out of a WK2 diesel sump - extra volume has to come from somewhere ie: excessive regeneration's or exhaust back pressure causing PCM to add more fuel resulting in more ltr's/km being burnt. I also noticed soot leakage from the egr supply butterfly valve spindle where the vacuum diaphram actuator connects. This has since disappeared/gone away since the DPF clean.

Cheers

Last edited by TR Laredo; 28-07-2019 at 09:32 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply