2012 JC Laredo 3.6l petrol Cranks over but won’t start!!! Help - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-06-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 108 Times in 74 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

When mine started to fail, I would once in a while get LOOOONG Cranks and often wont start. 3-4 time then it would fire up normally.

Like I said, if you google it, you can jump two of the contacts, I think pin 30 and 87. But remember to remove it when you have turned off the car. Just to get you somewhere to buy a relay really.
Old 06-06-2018
Senior Newbie

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaz View Post
I keep a few spares in the glove box for this reason
Jeep service near me dont stock them so I ordered them from US.

Temporarily you can get a 30/40amp relay from from jaycar to do the job, wrap it with some electrical tape as the omrons have a special retainer to keep it in place.

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk

Right, so you think that’s what it is?
I just had a look at it visually. Bloody raining outside and cars stuck on driveway :/ doesn’t appear burned out. Also checked the fuses attached to the wires running to the wires that it’s connected to. Have you had the same issues rectified this way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-06-2018
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepWK2 View Post
Right, so you think that’s what it is?
I just had a look at it visually. Bloody raining outside and cars stuck on driveway :/ doesn’t appear burned out. Also checked the fuses attached to the wires running to the wires that it’s connected to. Have you had the same issues rectified this way?

Does the relay make a click sound when you attempt to start it?

I'm not saying your problem is this, but it is a common failure and known to jeep garage SINCE the relocation of this relay under the recall some years back.

I have had similar issues hence I keep 3 spares in my glove box.

PS - I'd rather this relay than the fuel pump.
Old 06-06-2018
Senior Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaz View Post
Does the relay make a click sound when you attempt to start it?

I'm not saying your problem is this, but it is a common failure and known to jeep garage SINCE the relocation of this relay under the recall some years back.

I have had similar issues hence I keep 3 spares in my glove box.

PS - I'd rather this relay than the fuel pump.

Mate, you sir are a bloody legend!!!!

It turned out to be exactly that. I opened it up and put it back together, it started enough for me to drive it to the dealers.

They didn’t sell just the relay, so I had to buy the entire relay and fuse and wiring harness for $106, but I’m back on the road and can get back to work!

Please PM me your address, nice bottle of wine coming your way.

I hope people see this thread and know there is a SIMPLE FIX FOR JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE WK2 TURNING OVER / CRANKING BUT NOT STARTING.

ITS THE FUEL PUMP RELAY!!!!

Old 06-06-2018
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Mate, you sir are a bloody legend!!!!

It turned out to be exactly that. I opened it up and put it back together, it started enough for me to drive it to the dealers.

They didn’t sell just the relay, so I had to buy the entire relay and fuse and wiring harness for $106, but I’m back on the road and can get back to work!

Please PM me your address, nice bottle of wine coming your way.

I hope people see this thread and know there is a SIMPLE FIX FOR JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE WK2 TURNING OVER / CRANKING BUT NOT STARTING.

ITS THE FUEL PUMP RELAY!!!!

Glad that was all it was.

Not sure about $100 for a relay? They normally go for about $8 at Jaycar, and the Omrons online are $20 each.

That wiring kit is nothing.

As long as your happy

Last edited by imaz; 06-06-2018 at 04:52 PM.
Old 06-06-2018
Senior Newbie

Yeah well, I really had no option. It was around 4 pm and I need to get to work tomorrow. Already had today off trouble shooting. I’ll be popping into Jaycar and buying a spare relay or two and keeping it in the car.

Is there a thread for the WK2s for spare parts and things that go wrong that are easy fixes? It should be a sticky! Save us all a lot of trouble and enjoy our lovely cars a bit more!

I’m serious PM your address mate, got a bottle in the cabinet with your name on it.

Old 06-06-2018
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Yeah well, I really had no option. It was around 4 pm and I need to get to work tomorrow. Already had today off trouble shooting. I’ll be popping into Jaycar and buying a spare relay or two and keeping it in the car.

Is there a thread for the WK2s for spare parts and things that go wrong that are easy fixes? It should be a sticky! Save us all a lot of trouble and enjoy our lovely cars a bit more!

I’m serious PM your address mate, got a bottle in the cabinet with your name on it.

Thanks Mate, appreciate it.

I think this particular issue just started happening for some of us here in AU being the age of the relay, wear and tear etc. This would have been picked up in US a year or two ago as they had the recall done earlier than us folks.

Perhaps a better quality relay is the solution?

You will hear more Aust owner may encounter this as time goes by.

It would be a prick to troubleshoot though if you are unaware of the issue. Which backyard mechanic knows that relay next to the radiator is for the fuel pump?

You could pin the post, but being a Jeep, there would be a lot to pin