Problem with Western Filters (affects diesel) - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-04-2020
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,357 Posts

Last I looked the Red Penrite coolant was OAT okay for Jeep now I look and its changed to nothing past 2013 .............. interesting.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 30-04-2020
RubiconSlammer

Liked 1,285 Times in 682 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebreakerbob View Post
The MY 13 takes the later filters R2736p, always has. It is confusing but up to not including the MY13 is the R2737p
You won’t notice any leak because all the O ring does is make sure the oil goes through the filter
If you measure the position of the O ring you will see that on the 37 it just sits inside of the tube, sort of on the chamfer but the 36 slides into the tube (MY13-on)
Yep I cannot believe Repco hasn’t corrected their confusing description
All parts rely on the model MY13 not the year of manufacture as mine was made in Oct ‘12 but is an MY13
Take Penrite OAT coolant, says Jeep on the bottle but their website says no, is there different types of OAT? I have been meaning to find out about that because I bought some to top up mine. The MY13 -on take OAT but the 11 & 12 are HOAT
Bob
Bob, this is where confusion has always reigned. I have always regarded the MY as being the correct measure, not build date. My MY13 is a Dec'12 build. The manual specifies OAT coolant and I've always used Penrite OAT (pink). I wish Penrite (along with Ryco, and Wesfil et al) would get their websites right, it's hard to trust them. Penrite's website specifies green coolant for this model, not pink, as you say it contradicts the bottle and the WK2 owners manual. As far as I know OAT is OAT, I don't believe there are different types, but as ever I will stand corrected. I keep away from HOAT. I recently had a new water pump fitted and my trusted Jeep mechanic flushed and refilled the system with Castrol OAT (Castrol being his default brand unless I supply my own, which this time I didn't). He told me that if I ever need to top up, the Penrite OAT that I have in my garage is compatible "it's all the same stuff" (his words).

My query with Ryco re. the filters was based on their website listing R2737p being for "up to 2013" and R2736p "from 2013 on". So I asked how they define "2013", which no one could answer until I pointed out that '2013' could mean late 2012 builds (MY13) and later 2013 builds (MY14). Yep, it threw 'em alright, took ages before they finally came back and confirmed that I need R2737p for a Dec '12 build (MY13). Will they make the website listing clearer now? Doubt it.

I know I can run the 'wrong' R2736p filter and not have problems, but good grief, these manufacturers & businesses seriously need to smarten up!

Last edited by SouthernComfort; 30-04-2020 at 09:18 AM.
Old 30-04-2020
CrawlerStar

Liked 144 Times in 90 Posts

Its good to know that the later model filter is backwards compatible and as Drover mentioned it is possible that they are being fitted with owners unaware......
I agree with SouthernComforts' position however - when he was in contact with Western, had he been given the information generally posted above, together with professional and informed assurances he may well have gone away happy.
He's at the other end of the spectrum and I would support him informing as many others as possible.
I appreciate his advice
John

Last edited by JnK; 30-04-2020 at 02:38 PM.
Old 30-04-2020
RubiconSlammer

Liked 1,285 Times in 682 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Actually, Brett's Asakashi oil filters appear to be the cheapest of all, so might give them a go. Even with $15 postage (for 2) they're a fair bit cheaper than Ryco off the shelf at SCA. Couldn't help noticing their website shows a pic of the OE0108 filter with the lower O ring!
Old 30-04-2020
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,995 Times in 2,357 Posts

If you order from Bretts they have the WK2 filter listed and its the earlier style, the one you like, I've been down that path with them myself thats why i just order the Captiva one a sits the later pattern.
As for part listings its something that is applicable to most makes and brands not just Jeeps though Mopar has always been very secretive, but with some good research I find a part that will fit my vehicle at times not even listed as a fit for whatever vehicle I may be driving but is actually the identical part even down to OEM markings.... ie: the front drive shaft CV on a WG is actually the same as a BA ute shaft CV, the BA though is a heavy duty unit.... front CV boots for the ZG are the same as a Brumby's, amazing what you find sifting thru catalogues waiting for something to happen on a job site.......
I will actually use Nulon Coolant, the Red one in mine when the times comes, its OAT while I prefer Penrite lube I have been using Nulon coolant for a few decades and haven't rotted an engine or hose yet.... I normally follow the specs like OAT or API not so much the makers approval number as that just means the producer has paid the fee, so long as the specs match its always been good... But thats just me some demand the Mopar brand...

Check Bretts web site compared to Ebay site, as with a lot the overall price can be different.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 30-04-2020
Full Flexer

Liked 575 Times in 296 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

When I first bought my GJC the Aussie dollar was strong and I ordered half a dozen oil filters, fuel filters, cabin filters etc off Moparamerica ( fuel filters were only $25 au instead of $140 ea off fca). Moparamerica took my vin and said yours takes the new oil filter. This was early 2013.
I had since bought more from them and have only just run out so I checked the Mopar filter as it came out and it is the same as the 36, but because of the bad description I had bought the 37. That’s when I accurately measured where the O ring sits when installed. If you look into the filter housing the standpipe where the O ring fits is quite deep so no issues using the deeper one. I don’t know about the MY11-12
Bob
Old 30-04-2020
Established Member

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

I have imported 68229402AA for my MY18 TH, seems to be the correct one from specs on http://www.wk2jeeps.com/ and vehicle check on Amazon..
Post New Thread  Reply