Transmission Cooler - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 18-12-2021
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,976 Times in 2,347 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper6 View Post
Mine runs at 88 - 90 degrees all the time, even when towing (1.5 tonne). Haven't read anywhere of a Thermostat to control temperature. I would not be surprised though given the low temps these ZF's are used in, and getting operating temps up would be a priority.

That said though, the coolant would do the warming adequately i would have thought as the engine / coolant will run at the same temps where ever the cars are..

I'll have ask my transmission man if he is aware of anything like that...he serviced mine a few months ago, and does heaps of 8 spd ZF's across various makes...
The link to Moparparts giant shows its probably tucked up just in front of the tranny, since I just did my tranny service it will be awhile before I drop the bash plates again to have a lookie.......probably just look like a hose/pipe junction block, so removal and using some pipe joiners from a hydraulics mob if you can get the size right wouldn't be a biggy.....

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 18-12-2021
Full Flexer

Liked 574 Times in 295 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper6 View Post
Mine runs at 88 - 90 degrees all the time, even when towing (1.5 tonne). Haven't read anywhere of a Thermostat to control temperature. I would not be surprised though given the low temps these ZF's are used in, and getting operating temps up would be a priority.

That said though, the coolant would do the warming adequately i would have thought as the engine / coolant will run at the same temps where ever the cars are..

I'll have ask my transmission man if he is aware of anything like that...he serviced mine a few months ago, and does heaps of 8 spd ZF's across various makes...
The transmission cooler is with the aircon condenser not the engine coolant in these
Old 19-12-2021
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 1,158 Times in 613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebreakerbob View Post
The transmission cooler is with the aircon condenser not the engine coolant in these
How about that...thanks Treebreakerbob, i didn't know that...just "assumed" the fluid pipes would run through the radiator as majority do.
Will have to do more research on this...
Cheers
Old 20-12-2021
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,976 Times in 2,347 Posts

A few hundred Kms into Lurgy Land towing the rig and the temp on the * speeder is just 91-92 up hill down dale, the engine oil and coolant on the other hand does do some climbing from cruising at 108 to as much as 124 dragging up a hill, mind you its running happy as a pig in whatsit, 2500-3000 5th to 7th up hill, chimney gets a bit hot then but not over 700 and all temps drop back to normal very fast once I clear the crest, so thats a very good sign, chimney purrs along at about 480 towing, soot oven probably hasn't worked on mine in a year or so that Ive noticed anyway.........

So the grey cells are thinking of fitting an old thermostat that has the guts pulled out, still has a bit of restriction but not as much as with the wax pellet plug fitted, thinking it might give a running temp of about 100 normally and lower when under load, though the faster coolant flow thru radiator might mean less cool.... idea mainly to drop engine oil temp so cooler coolant is the easy thought, adding a decent engine oil cooler is a bit harder to do and requires an old engine ideally to play with and experiment, trying to do it in an engine bay is a horses.....

of course I could fit a lower temp thermostat but I have an old modified job in shed somewhere.

Driving down the by ways gives one time to think.............

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 28-01-2022
I just registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Transmission thermal bypass

I have a 2014 WK2 with the 8 speed. The oil in my transmission has always been around 87 degrees, but I noticed the other day that the transmission temps were increasing to over 100 deg on 20 min trips around town (not towing). I looked into the tranny cooling system and on the left handed side of the transmission about 20cm from the tranny cooling pipe connections, there is a thermal bypass that recirculates the tranny fluid back to the tranny when the tranny is cold and is supposed to open when the tranny fluid gets to 70 something degrees to allow fluid through to the tranny cooler. My thermal bypass was stuck in the closed position, apparently this is fairly common. Will be replacing with straight lengths of pipe to remove the bypass to avoid this happening again.

The tranny oil was also very black after 45,000km (most likely to heat) will replace the filter & fluid next week.
Old 28-01-2022
CrawlerStar

Liked 133 Times in 83 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Scott, it will be interesting to see if it throws any codes with the thermo valve removed. Are there any electrical connections to this valve or is it totally mechanically controlled??
Old 28-01-2022
Full Flexer

Liked 775 Times in 403 Posts

Very interested in the out come also mate, can you even try to put up some pics and what was actually involved, cheers Olmate.
I understand behind the idea of have a thermostat in places like Canada, etc where its likely to be snowing and daytime temps hover around 5.c but not here in Aust