TJ Rear Storage - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Fabrication and Custom
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-10-2008
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Now head off and buy some reputable epoxy glue. Pre drill and countersink all panels to be joined with screws. Mark out and make sure where they are going.

Mix the epoxy glue and apply to the join lines then join them all up with chipboard screws. Longs clamps may help here to keep it square.

It's looking good - just join it well so it doesn't shake apart and will stay together for many years. It also adds strength to the whole structure so you can ad to it later.

Make sure you have good tie-down points that are re-enforced. Just to protect the back of your head in a worst case scenario....

Again - looking good.

Oh, just a small point. It's a brake light. It isn't broken as in a break light....you use the brakes to slow down and stop.

Last edited by OzJeeper; 10-10-2008 at 09:56 PM.
Old 10-10-2008
Queenslander

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJeeper View Post
Oh, just a small point. It's a brake light. It isn't broken as in a break light....you use the brakes to slow down and stop.
Don't know about your Jeep but mine has a 'Break' peddle because it doesn't want to stop when loaded up :P Need to look at some rear discs one day...

Seriously though, thanks for the advise, it is greatly appreciated.

Last weekend I mounted a jerry can holder for a 20 litre water bottle between the passenger seat and fridge.

This weekend will see some more work reinforcement, and possibly a back for the right hand section, then all apart for gluing, then the carpet.

It will then bolt through to the floor using the rear seat bolt holes and the idea it to ensure it can just be slid in and out on some teflon rails.

Anyway, more pics to come.
Old 10-10-2008
Queenslander

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasar View Post
well done kent looks really good - needs some carpet and a draw and will be complete

where's the waeco battery charging from ?
Thanks Rob, yeah, draw and carpet on the way. The waeco battery will charge from a 12 Volt outlet I put in the rear area a while ago which is fed by a fused 30Amp wire that comes from the battery.

Link Here to Rear Outlet Blog Entry

Its on the wrong side but the cables that came with the battery pack are long enough.
Old 12-10-2008
Queenslander

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

It's coming along well now. Minor redesign, slight shortening but now the shape is locked in and the box has been glued and screwed. A section has also been cut out for the brake light connector.

I've also fitted a slightly modified jerry can holder that will carry 20L of water. The rear passenger side bolt will bolt through the base into the floor. You can also see the other bolts that will secure the whole structure.

You can see I've modified the jerry can holder by removing the end upright. This is done for two reasons: 1) to make it possible for the whole unit to slide in and out due to the tail gate latch, and; 2) to allow me to attach an 'elbow' joint instead to the container, so that I can run a hose to the back of the Jeep to give easy access to the water.

The tabs under the jerry can holder and the one at the rear will be used to hold the fridge in place.

Next step is a back for the box, some carpet for the whole thing and some teflon runners for the bottom.
Old 12-10-2008
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lookin good mate! Giving me some good ideas. Where did you get the "cargo barrier" from
Old 13-10-2008
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i asked the same question, it was opposite lock down in melbourne... they look pretty useful but as he said, they kindof get in the way when you want to put things in the back or get them from the front..

keep us posted on the back shelf man, looks good!
Old 13-10-2008
Queenslander

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmsy_19 View Post
Lookin good mate! Giving me some good ideas. Where did you get the "cargo barrier" from

Yeah, got it from Opposite Lock. A tiny bit too wide, but no drama. It has a centre strap which is great as it keeps it nice and high in the middle.

But yeah, pain in the butt to have in there all the time, but my plan is to only have it in there when the storage unit is in. I think it will work pretty well.