Touring in a JK - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 27-03-2009
RustysRocker

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgp View Post
We had some lovely King George Whiting for breaky this morning, 20minutes just as the sun was rising filled the frypan.

Last nights dinner was Snapper.

Might have a nap after lunch (need some red meat so lunch is lasagna in the camp oven) and wonder down to catch tonights dinner.

Whats everyone else doing to-day?

Not working are you - poor barstards!

Steve and Carol
Ha ha yep nose to the grindstone mate
Half your luck! Enjoy the fishing sound like there is plenty of variety.
would be great to see your pics once you get back.
cheers
Old 27-03-2009
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNEJK View Post
I had a discussion with the dealer service guy, he actually said putting a tranny cooler won't void warrenty. (also recommended in the Jeep user manual)
If thats your only modification, I am sure your correct.

However our experience is any mod they find, they will use against you when it comes time for serious repairs.
Remember they refused to change our exploded battery because we had a CB and spot lights connected to it. And they denied the turbo hoses were a problem and blamed the snorkel and exhaust changes.

This thread is not about CJ and their p1ss weak warranty cover so lets not go there.

My advice is if you value your warranty keep your JK stock standard. (but dont go bush in it)

Steve.
Old 27-03-2009
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts

Excellent Post ....... redgp

Your list of items reflect my own mods, equipment and wish lists applied to many different brand vehicles I have used for similiar travel as yourself ... and the specific details should be most useful to the growing number of people choosing the underdog of the 4x4 market.

Its also a very good guide for any brand vehicle going to be used as a tourer.

Straight off the shelf ... no vehicle is up to scratch for your intended use ... sadly - a jeep needs a bit more doing to it but thats accounted for in the purchase price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgp View Post
All of the following modifications and fixes will void your new vehicle warranty. ... as usual.

IMHO the standard CRD JK is not suitable as a tourer (especially towing a camper trailer) What is eh ???? nothing standard that I have seen on todays market meets my approval.

In our opinion the vehicle was never designed or tested in our harsh outback conditions. You're not on your own there.

It’s not bolted together well (quality control) and the dealers we have dealt with have little or no knowledge of how it ticks. 1997 - Touring in a TJ ... phonecalls to US for info cost me nearly as much as the fuel ... but I didnt expect any "local" knowledge for an odd brand.

but have to say its not a vehicle you just purchase and drive away, you have to get to know it and fix everything wrong with it with aftermarkets stronger and better bits to make it useful for its task. ... hmmmm - sounds like the best general purpose tourer I've ever had ... an 84 troopy

As I have stated before ... your reported treatment by dealers was obysmal ... which in turn - made doing the nescessary, vehicle, travel preparations even harder.

Looks like you have it all in hand now .... good to see ...

btw keep up with the recovery work ... If you get bored with your retirement you could always open up a bottle shop ...

Last edited by carvesdodo; 27-03-2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old 27-03-2009
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i know i'm way out of touch but could someone please tell me what IMHO means. it's been bugging me for months.
Old 27-03-2009
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

In
My
Honest/Humble/Highest etc
Opinion

All you had to do was Google

Last edited by xnikx; 27-03-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old 27-03-2009
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just had a lie under the JK, remembered a few other little mods we have done:
Front adjustable length (disconects) sway bar links, rear lengthened sway bar links (sweetened the ride after the 2"lift). We have fitted ARB diff covers to front and rear diffs and oh, it has ARB air lockers front and rear as well.
We have air bags fitted inside the rear springs and recomend pumping them up to 30psi before you drop the weight of the trailer on the draw bar , they work better that way. We have a aftermarket steering damper fitted and our Bestop Hardrock front and rear bars have rock rollers fitted which we have left on because the rear one protects the rear "drop tank" style aux fuel tank from reversing hits. (and the front one looks good!)

We recently changed the winch wire to Dynamica rope and the fairleed to a lightweight plastic type. Amazing difference in weight and its so much easier to rescue those Toyotas and Nissans.

Just another little thing we did that really is usefull:
We had heavy duty (starter jump lead size) wiring fitted from the battery isolater to the aux batteries and then to the rear bumper ending in an anderson plug. We then plug the trailer with its aux batteries into the anderson plug and the whole lot recharges off the JK's alternator when we are on the road. When camped with 240volt power available (once a week the missus likes to a use caravan park laundry) we just leave the JK and trailer connected and the trailer's on board charger tops up everthing including the starting battery (when the isolator clicks and connects the lot together) All up we have on board both vehicles 4 batteries totalling 285 amp hours and can last up to a week bush camping.

PS Carol says the best new thing on this trip is the 240volt inverter. I am still being surprised with the things she has bought on this trip since she knew she will have 240 volt everyday. Its running the laptop as I write.

Anyway the sand and surf calls, off for a swim.

Steve and Carol
Old 27-03-2009
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnikx View Post
In
My
Honest/Humble/Highest etc
Opinion

All you had to do was Google
I mean "In My Humble Opinion"