Steering Dampner issues? - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 15-04-2009
DetroitDemon

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts

how much is lifted simsy. Could be control arm angle??
Old 15-04-2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Had a similar thing.
Drop the front on a huge rock and snapped the stocko
Driving it around the wobbles were crazy. Bought and fitted a Rancho job and have had it for over 12 months now but have always had the shudder when hitting holes. I just assumed it was Jeep thing and combined with Heavy Duty OME springs in the front it became more noticeable.
Old 15-04-2009
DetroitDemon

Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

Every type of vehicle with a solid steering axle can get them for various reasons (death wobbles). Excessive play in balljoints, worn king pin bearings either top or bottom on the swivel hubs or in the JK's case worn ball joints, worn/faulty steering box, wheel balancing not quite right and can even be caused by poor castor angles and poor wheel alignment (your castor angles are thrown up shit creek when you lift your suspension and you don't fit lengthened control arms to suit). Its even worth checking your wheel bearings and tightening them up just a nip more. If its happening under braking you may have warped rotors. God there's so many things which can cause the death wobbles - its just an inherant design trait of the solid axle, there was a really good website explaining it a while back but went into depth about castor and wheel alignment - i fi find it i'll link it up because i found it great and helped me solve my own death wobbles.

But back to finding the cause...NONE of them should be caused by the steering damper. Firm or return to centre steering dampers are to hide other issues with the steering geometry of your vehicle.

So what causes the wobbles? Basically the slightest thing not quite right from factory specs can cause them. And if you do suffer them even the smallest bit, DO NOT IGNORE THEM. THEY HAVE KILLED PEOPLE IN THE PAST AND THEY CAN AND WILL KILL PEOPLE IN THE FUTURE. Someone in New Zealand tried to sue Nissan as the death wobbles were attributed to a fatal accident with a GU Patrol, I don't think they succeeded.

If everything is in good working order then take the Jeep to a TRUCK wheel alignment centre (normal shops dont usually have equipment which can be clamped to 4wd tyres..plus your JK is really just a light truck in a clever disguse). They will be able to do a proper wheel alignment and tell you what is going on with your suspension and how you're best fixing it.
Old 16-04-2009
Pollie Waffle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks guys - very helpful, especially Yom's - I'll have a good look on the weekend..

Don't worry i'm not suggesting there are any problems with the Steering dampner itself - its firmer than my old one and works great when it works, i've probably c0cked it up when i installed it ( I was fuming and pi$$ed off at a certain member on here that i'd just had a verbal with when I was doing it, so I probably wasn't paying attention )

I might even change the bolts and see how that go's - the bolts that come with it just don't look quite tight enough through the holes they use.. i guess play in that would def give a wobble!

I'm 100% sure that it is somehow realated to a steering dampner install c0ck up as it ONLY started happening after I installed it.

Thanks Casey - will check the nuts - i'm sure its got something to do with them.

Will let you all know
Old 07-05-2009
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So Simsy, what was the outcome???
Old 07-05-2009
Pollie Waffle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Checked everything, went over it with a fine tooth comb and I can't find the issue..

Even removed arms, checked them etc no problems there.. Then the other weekend, it stopped, hasn't happened again for about 2 weeks..

Still determined to find it though..
Old 07-05-2009
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cool. Well, glad to hear it stopped for you, keep us posted if you ever solve the mystery.
Post New Thread  Reply