Bonnet vents and water crossings - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 15-05-2009
LokRinger

Liked 1,769 Times in 560 Posts

The bonnet is completely unsealded right down each side and the front. I think the air would escape out of the three sides pretty well as fast as out the vents.

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club
Old 15-05-2009
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,113 Times in 693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
The bonnet is completely unsealded right down each side and the front. I think the air would escape out of the three sides pretty well as fast as out the vents.
So how does yours go when driving through deep water with that cowl on it?

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 15-05-2009

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you are heading up the cape shortly maybe the deepest creek you might encounter if you go looking for deep water would be around a meter deep. most of the creeks you will encounter coming into this time of year are only a foot or 2 deep.
Old 15-05-2009
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
I agree with GoJeep. I can see where you are coming from JJ, but the bonnet is far from sealed. A water bra and plenty of WD-40 would be the way to go. Someone mentioned the other day about the positioning of the CPS and its tendency to shutting down due to water. Someone confirm that?

"CANYONERO"
Old 16-05-2009
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,113 Times in 693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynman View Post
If you are heading up the cape shortly maybe the deepest creek you might encounter if you go looking for deep water would be around a meter deep. most of the creeks you will encounter coming into this time of year are only a foot or 2 deep.
I have had a look at a mates video he took going out to Chilli Beach and even on the map it says "deep river crossing" and that is the way we are going and on his video with his 78 series ute it was quite deep.
It just has me a little concerned.
So have you had much rain up your way lately Raynman? Any word on how the roads are?
Cheers, Junglejuice

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 16-05-2009
LokRinger

Liked 1,769 Times in 560 Posts

Having a cowl I can just put a magnetic strip over it for the deeper crossings. Below bonnet height I have not worried about it yet.

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club
Old 17-05-2009
No Winching

Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts

Hey Junglejuice

1/.. Have a small tarp ready to tie on the front and under the vehicle as others have mentioned.
2/.. I think you fitted electric fans as trip preparation - so turn them off for the crossing ... its equivalent to the old method of removing the fan belt.
3/.. Proceed through the crossing at a steady speed.
4/.. At the right speed the tarp will create a bow wave and the water level in the engine bay will be lower than the actual water level outside the vehicle.
5/.. Go too slow ... and the water depth will increase in the engine bay.
6/.. Go too fast ... and water can flow up and over the bonnet.
7/.. Underwater ruts and rocks when driven thru / over - will affect the bow wave.
8/.. Find somewhere to have a practice in different depths before you head off up north.
9/.. The bonnet vents will make a difference to the airpocket under the bonnet and therefore allow the water level to rise quicker ... The airpocket will have an easy escape route - straight up through the big holes at the high points in the bonnet ... unlike the restricted outflow at the front/edges of the bonnet.

Lets face it ... if the unsealed edges were so good at letting air out in a hurry ... there probably wouldnt be the perceived need for vents in the first place

If you take all the normal wading precautions you shouldn't have any problems tho I wouldnt think ... as long as you dont end up with water pouring into the engine bay through the vents .... remember its not just the dizzy and plug leads to consider ... its also the electrical connectors for the injectors / CKS / throttle body sensors etc. that wont appreciate having a waterfall dropping in on them.

Last edited by carvesdodo; 17-05-2009 at 05:50 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply