ban on suspension mods to ESC equipped 4WDs - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-06-2009
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Im sure i heard on the news this week that ESC was being made compulsory on ALL vehicles sold in oz within a couple of years. Does this mean the after maket industry here is going to fold or move overseas? I do agree there are some idiots out there who make their vehicles unsafe using short cuts but if a vehicle is properly engineered it should be safer in my view. I think common sense has gone out the window with some of these so called leaders of our country!!!
No Screaming!
You Puke Your Cleaning It!
Old 28-06-2009
ShortBlack
Visitor

the Fun Police strike again! they wont be happy till we are all wrapped up very tightly in cotton wool!!!
Old 28-06-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts

ESC compulsory, thats the crazyest thing I have every heard. XJs looking better every day. Actually I did read the other day that somebody in America is tyring to pass a law to outlaw vehicles over 15 years old. Now that is the crazest thing I have ever heard. Theres a chill wind blowing and its 42 degrees.

Last edited by xjdavid; 28-06-2009 at 04:29 PM.
Old 28-06-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 79 Times in 57 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08crd View Post
The sujestion that the esp is so finely tuned that a 50mm lift will change its dynamic operation is bordering on ludicrous. Actually a raised vehicle, one would think, should activate the E.S.P earlier than standard hight as the vehicle would tend to laterally accelerate faster than standard. There has to be a degree of common sense when it comes to suspension modifications. The Commander is a great tow vehicle, however with the standard suspension the back end tends to sag when you put a caravan on, so by the same reasoning, that will affect the E.S.P as the vehicle geometry has changed. Therefore does that mean a vehicle with E.S.P can't tow a caravan or trailer, it may mean that you cant carry anything in the boot as the difference between the car fully loaded as opposed to empty can be upto 50mm.
Please someone give these bureaucrats some meaningfull productive work. Maybe they could look into why headlights on loaded vehicles shine into oncomming trafic. The result may be vehicles that carry a load have to fit heavier springs to maintain the vehicle ride hight as close to normal as possible, thereby assisting the E.S.P.

The best thing I did to my Commander was to get rid of the OE springs and shocks and add OME springs, decent shocks, 50mm lift and wider tyres. The wider tyres aid stability and negated any change in CoG due to the lift..My Commander holds the road better and feels like I've got control on corrugated rough dirt roads etc..Than can be a bad thing??... How could these mods be dangerous when they really overcome the shortcomings of the standard vehicle??...No allowance is made in the NCOP for improvements to handling from better designed aftermarket gear.[/I].

I can vouch that the ESP has never actuated except when I've forgotten to fully disable it when in Low. I agree o8crd that you'd expect premature activation of the ESP by raising the vehicle and adding higher profile tyres but this hasn't happen...well not to me. Just goes to show how much real life testing they've done to arrive at this code.

The other thing is the while it's a national code it's up to the states how much of it they'll adopt if any so we'll probably still end up with the situation where all states are different. If they had used good reasoning and formulated the code from properly tested data, then maybe the states would adopt it all and then we'll be approaching something like a real federation but bureaucrats being what they are, it'll take some rattling of their cage to change their ideas.

What percentage of road accidents are due to modified ESC 4x4s??...I'd guess very low.

Maybe the solution is the new 2010 Grand setup with the air adjustable suspension, adjustable from 165mm to 277mm (OK LandRover has had it for years) but what then about tyres??....Anyway what's wrong with aftermarket ESP re-calibration - something like the AEV 4" lift ESC correction module??? Have they considered this option...Don't think so.

If modifying ESC 4x4's is so dangerous then why haven't the US banned it, they're the litigation capital of the world...Got me puzzled.

Last edited by Wanderer; 28-06-2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old 28-06-2009
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Apparently theres also a blanket ban on aftermarket airbag suspension aswell.
ESP usually re-engages as soon as you go over a certain speed ,normally 40kmh, so simply turning it off isnt an option.I also believe that if factory fitted it must work for the vehicle to be roadworthy.
Old 28-06-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 79 Times in 57 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomart View Post
Apparently theres also a blanket ban on aftermarket airbag suspension aswell.
ESP usually re-engages as soon as you go over a certain speed ,normally 40kmh, so simply turning it off isnt an option.I also believe that if factory fitted it must work for the vehicle to be roadworthy.

Yep...Roadworthy is an issue but I don't think the police will stop you unless your vehicle looks ridiculous an obviously unroadworthy. Hardly think they'll have the specs for all the 4x4s & SUV on the road. It's what the insurance companies will do if you have a prang.

Still I think we need to organise and get our Jeep Clubs to make some sort of united representation. Some laws are necessary but stupid ones foster contempt. Wouldn't it be better to have reasonably modified ESC 4x4's on the road than have everyone rush out and get 4x4's without ESC just so they can do all the mods...Seems a backward step and counterproductive to me.

Then there's the point jkrenegade made.. "ESC will be compulsory on all vehicles" so what do we do then???
Old 28-06-2009
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: KK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default NCOP and ESP lift

I think we should all wait and see what the bigger suspension manufacturers do in regard to lift kits for ESP equipped vehicles. I can't see ARB not designing lifts for 200 series LC. ARB will not supply and fit a lift kit that is non-compliant for road use. Something will happen and the answer will be a lot clearer soon.
RuffStuff Diff Cover
Jeep Skids
Post New Thread  Reply