Gear Ratios, panhard - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-08-2009
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK07 View Post
Save yourself a headache in the future and go with AEV lift. There are many things come into play when lifting a rig. Especially the JK is a new susepension geomotary panhard correction bracekts, draglink flip, etc etc will be reqd So check out the AEV lift it is awesome and comes complete with everything u need u will be very happy
It is indeed an impressive package but it seems the powers that be will soon decide this lift is highly illegal regardless of the fact it has been proven to out perform the stock setup..........damn governments should really look into all the facts and figures before making decisions just to make themselves appear to be doing something just appease tree huggers and the misinformed others. Can't make up my mind wether it's the shocks that make this lift impress people who have them or the draglink flip. I always used bilsteins with my landy's and were so impressive but very exxy. The lift i'm doing to the jk is the first time i have chosen a different shock i just hope all the reviews i read from other vehicles using them aren't misleading.
Old 01-08-2009
DetroitDemon

Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts

mate. IMHO opinion take some measurements to see if you even need to extend things like bumpstops, i am not saying you dont but as you are only going to 33's and will only be .5 -1 inch taller (depending if your stock tyres were 32 or 31's) you may find this is not necessary and may only limit your uptravel unnecessarily.
I would go some sway bar disconnects upfront as one of the cheapest ways to improve your offroad ability. As for the other stuff a 2 inch is pretty mild lift so you wouldnt need to change ratios, panhards etc with that combo
Old 01-08-2009
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

The main thing to look out for is the rear driveshaft on a two door, its very short & can cause vibrations.2" is usually ok but some 'kits' can give you a lot more lift than advertised.
Old 01-08-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's not so much related to the small upsize in tyre size, it's the increase in down travel which will actually effect your uptravel <-- sounds Odd doesn't it.
Take into consideration teh stock shocks have very little downtravel, it's mostly up!
(with front sway bar disconnected)
Under full articulation with the extra down travel the axle twists in such a way that the compressed spring sides wheel is at such an angle it will come in contact with the front flare metal support bracket which is hidden by the plastic.

For Arguements sake, I have a 3" lift, if i remove my bump stops (2.5") and fit my stocko cheese cutters they will hit under full flex. Only just though.

Take Wranglertj's advice, do the measurements, just get access to someones ramp or something similar, it's what i did to get the best length shocks and right size bump stops. This way you will get the maximum up travel out of your setup and get to know how it all works.. it's a better option than fitting Snake Oil blocks!
Old 01-08-2009
DetroitDemon

Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts

love your rig MCJK. I am surprised you have retained your front bar or is this on the wish list?
Old 01-08-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wranglertj View Post
love your rig MCJK. I am surprised you have retained your front bar or is this on the wish list?

Fabbing it shortly, Lots of Big mods on the cards atm. That front bar is awesome, it's more demoralising for the 4x4's you drive futher than if you look more stock, no idea how it is still attached, the 35's try to rip the front and rear off under flex..
Old 01-08-2009
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks to everyone for their advice, pics and time. Much appreciated. I think i will go with MTZ's as the only thing holding me back was how well do these work in the sand. Spoke to a few people and they all said it was the tyre pressure that makes all the difference. According to them if you drop the PSI just below 20 they will perform very well in the sand.

The stock tyres are 245/75/16 (31's i think).

Somedays i crack the sh**s and think stuff it, i'll go the 32's and just upgrade the suspension (no lift). For a first timer its quite daunting, you worry that mods are going to stuff up the car and put it out of wack.

I guess i worry to much and hope when i get the lift it will be between 40 - 50mm. Reading post's in forums and talking to people with lifts that have done some km's with these mods is really helpful.

Thanks again

PS: MCJK, awesome rig. Simple yet capable!
Post New Thread  Reply