Snow Victoria ! ! ! ! - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > LOCATIONS | EVENTS | TRIPS > Wheres the best spots to drive?
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-06-2010
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i remember driving that track crackles.. awesome drive. snow looks alot fresher when u drove it tho.. the last part of that vid is amazing... PRISTINE!

Old 13-06-2010
No Winching

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Awsome vid Crack, think you could use one of ShakenBakes camera mounts.
Do they get snow in Moab Qld?
Old 15-06-2010
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Dont go alone!!
Best to take chains when the snow has been down a while - its too late if you find you need them and you dont have them.
I have found that most times you go driving in the snow you dont need them but as with all 4WDriving you should always prepare for the worst case scenario.
Best locations depending on how far you want to drive are up behind Lake Mountain
towards Rubicon and beyond and around the back of Marysville, On some higher mountain tops like Mount Terrible and Torbreck also some higher points in behind Big River and Matlock. Mount Skene is closed to all traffic unless you are in a Four Wheel Drive Club and obtain special permission.
Be carefull of seasonal closed tracks $500 on spot fine if caught driving one of these even if there is no gate or sign.
Best time would be in a few more weeks when the snow has a chance to build up a bit. Dont bother going if it has not snowed for a while as it melts quickly on lower slopes. Best time is just after snow has fallen down below 1200 meters.

Fletch
Old 15-06-2010
AJOR Gold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyone who waited for deeper snow later in the season missed some great High Country driving over the long weekend as from today 90% of those white covered tracks are closed. Took a run up to Mt number 3 yesterday & was still enough left from last weeks falls for a play.

Old 15-06-2010
Sandgroper

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Arghhh, spewin, missed that!! Any other suggestions? You can hire snow chains right?

'98 TJ
Old 15-06-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 49 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake_N_Bake View Post
Snow chains are a waste! Better to learn to drive in the snow than to just slap chains on. I have been drivin in the snow for 20 years and have never and will never put chains on. There is always a way to do things ie pick a higher gear and lug your engine a bit to help control wheel spin. Unless you know how deep it is dont spin your wheels. You can diff out easily on snow. Try and float on top of the snow. Drop your pressure right down to increase your footprint which gives you more surface area to find traction with. Just go out with a few mates, lots of recovery gear and food, and practice practice practise. Dont go out in the realy deep stuff first up. Find a place where its 6 inches deep and learn how your rig handles in it and how to counter slides and control wheel spin then then next time find deeper stuff and then deeper again and so on. The more you know what your car can do the more confident you will be when you tackle the snow that your pushing with your bullbar and having to back up and plow through walls of snow youve pushed up! Its great fun but be safe with it and like the warn adds say "GO PREPARED"! Last thing you want is to break down and not be prepared to spend the night in the bush. Bring blankets, extra food and water, and heavy clothes and a way to light a fire.
Agree with everything you say here, however sometimes the snow gets to be a particular consistency that you won't get anywhere without chains. The pic below is pretty close to thirty years old and maybe the technology has changed, but I was the only one out of about twenty vehicles that tried that got to the top of Mt Skene on this day and I couldn't have done it without chains

Notwithstanding, I think I only used my chains in snow about twice. I used them far more frequently in mud and they got me out of trouble many a time. They were my poor man's diff lock.

Last edited by Grahame; 15-06-2010 at 01:58 PM. Reason: for clarity
Old 15-06-2010
zzz

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great pic Grahame...looks like youve been in the Hot Tub Time Machine