ARB BP-51 shocks - Page 20 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-06-2016
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 191 Times in 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy View Post
They get dropped off for refund on friday. The store did try to help me but the product knowledge on a new product and stock availability wasnt there.
I tried to do the right thing and support local business but it wasnt to be.
So now Im thinking standard Fox resi and to deal with my extra weight either heavier springs or keep my springs and get a set of air bags to help when loaded but still be soft as a daily and flexxy weekender. Anyone got some advice?
Sorry to hear but it was to be expected to be honest, ARB hasn't managed to release anything they have designed without ongoing issues (is that the sound of another ARB locker leaking air I hear......), they just pay a lot in advertising to paint over this fact.

A set of remote res Fox shocks will sort out your woes, get the car weighed empty and then let Fox (or the company your deal with) know this weight and the fact that you also often load the car up with an extra XYZkg and they will build them to your needs at no extra charge. I recommend getting a set of the adjustable ones as most jeeps are pretty light so you really need the adjustment when you throw in a bunch of gear. A set of adjustable airbags in the rear springs will sort out the rest of you needs when you load the the back up or are towing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0375 View Post
You expect that from cheap Chinese shocks not extremely expensive Australian ones. At least they did the right thing and gave you a refund. Did you have to push for it or were they pretty easy about it?
Unfortunately being ARB it will be cheap chinese rubbish that has been painted (no doubt with lead paint) to look like something good then sold to you as being the best there is to buy.....

Expensive and timely lesson learned to stay clear of ARB.
Old 17-06-2016
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 542 Times in 304 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Some hard people out there.
Had it occurred to all that if all went well in a perfect world, we wouldn't need Guinea pigs?
We now know because of this thread to be cautious of this product thanks to the diligence of someone who splashed the cash so that, in this case, you could save yours.
Old 17-06-2016
Full Flexer

Liked 547 Times in 265 Posts

A little off topic I know but... when I bought my 07 JKU Rubi I swapped the OE shocks and springs to ARB 2" lift springs plus shocks when the originals had sagged within 40000km after a heavily laden trip up Cape York.

The ARB springs were touted at the time as a "special" 2" lift kit for the JK. They weren't... they were just their ordinary springs off the shelf. The springs were cactus within 15000 km, and were a big part of setting off death wobble which started within the first 100km of their fitment (I know about the reasons for DW.... I am just saying here...).

The shocks were still good after about 80000km and I keep them as spares. I found them to be a little too stiff for on road use but otherwise OK, especially off road. I now know them to be a differently internalled Monroe shock re-badged. I think Monroe now sell them as their 4x4 offroad shock. Also the rear LHS shock was dented by hitting on the lower shock absorber bracket... so much for the "special" product for the JKU.

ARB did everything they could to not do a refund on the springs or to admit that the real truth about these "special" springs had been stretched (pardon the pun). Everything other than their products was cited as a reason for their failure.

My experience with this situation was sufficient to turn away from ARB products. A lot look like they might be re-badged other products and they do not necessarily perform better, even tho the price is at premium levels. I have not bought anything from ARB since, choosing to vote with my wallet elsewhere instead. I have not regretted this choice.

I currently run Lovell front & HD rear springs and Bilstein shocks which r all performing well and r much cheaper than ARB. Is $600 per corner the asking price for these new shocks? Really!! U must be wrong!

For the majority of us, going all upmarket or up performance will be a big waste of money. Fox res shocks... yeah well if I had a Finke Rally unit I would fit them but otherwise it might be a case of wankers world....

Just my 2c worth.

Last edited by humdingerslammer; 17-06-2016 at 10:57 AM.
Old 17-06-2016
Full Flexer

Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts

Im disappointed in you @redemptioner you passed on your chance to feed me the "I TOLD YOU SO" line.
I will weigh the heap empty and loaded front and rear and give that info to fox. Dont think ill bother with the bypass version just the standard style 2.0 remote resi. The 2.5 are a very tight fit even with relocation brackets. Its been a massive fuck around to get the heap to ride plush. I guess it really isnt going to be a reality.
Old 17-06-2016
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 404 Times in 293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdingerslammer View Post

A lot look like they might be re-badged other products and they do not necessarily perform better, even tho the price is at premium levels.

Just my 2c worth.
Perfect summation of arb products in general!
Old 17-06-2016
Full Flexer

Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts

My reason for remote resi shocks is on several trips heavily loaded running on corrugated or whooped out sandy roads on pulling up for the beer refill stop my mates identical JK running resi fox shocks they were barely warm (Ambient temp) my mono tube shocks were so hot when i splashed water on them they sizzled like water in fry pan so we all know oil breaks down when hot so its not wank factor however i agree that $500-$1600 a corner is OTT unless on a race vehicle or one used in extreme conditions. I was swayed by the warrantee, local company, and rebuildability (and marketing hype) lesson learnt now to spend my refund with new found knowledge which for once hasnt cost money only time. A welcomed first for me!!!!
Old 17-06-2016
CrawlerStar

Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts

Damn,
Ive been watching this thread since the start and was looking forward to hearing great news about the ARB shocks,
is anyone Running Koni Raids, I had the stock Koni Reds on my Rangie and they were awesome and would like to hear if anyone is running the Raids.
Post New Thread  Reply