Safety Recall N23 for WH anyone had it done yet? - Page 21 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-01-2014
It's a JK Thing ;)

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 105 Times in 64 Posts

Okay guys & gals after a few months of logging scan reports & suppling all the info i could on what thes vehicals are doing after they have had the N23 update we have finally had a win , i havnt been the only tech having sleepless nights trying to work out WTF is going wrong There have many collecting data & scan reports , iv updated over 30 Jeeps with this update & have now have 2 comming back with this issue but it seems Techs from all over OZ have been reporting similar issues to vehicals they have flashed , some instantly & some like the too i have will go for a week or 2 before tripping , anyway this is the latest we have & if your truck brings up a C140F DTC for the transfer case & there are no underling harness or plug issues your in luck , now dont just walk in demanding a new actuator , book it in & ask the Tech to look up this Star Case S1321000016 & go from there & yes it will be covered under warrenty if it was due to the update even if your vehical is out of it .

Case Number: S1321000016
Symptom/Vehicle Issue:
Diagnostic Trouble Code C140F “Transfer Case Range Position Sensor Erratic Performance”
After Performing Recall N23
Discussion:
The Final Drive Control Module (FDCM) monitors the transfer case position sensor for two erratic
performance failures.
1. Position sensor drift to higher voltages during the drive cycle.
2. A difference between the encoder position value detected at first key on cycle compared to the
value stored into memory during the previous key off event.
Either failure mode will result in the setting of a permanent C140F fault. Once set, this fault will
remain active until the 4WD system is repaired. The “Service 4WD” indicator in the instrument cluster
will not illuminate when this fault sets until the customer attempts a range shift (between 4WD High
and 4WD Low, or Neutral).
Diagnosis:
1. Confirm the integrity of the Transfer Case shift motor wiring harness. Any circuit faults present
must be addressed prior to repairing the C140F fault. It is possible that both a C140F (Erratic
Encoder Performance Fault) and a C1405 fault (T-case range position sensor circuit high fault)
may be set due to the failure of the actuator. However, continuity of each circuit and checks
for short to ground and shorted circuit to circuit should be checked for each circuit of the TCase
interface.
2. Replace the actuator on the Transfer Case. Using the diagnostic tool, confirm that the position
sensor reading is 2.84 volts +/- 0.04. (FDCM / Read Write Data).
Parts Required:
AR (1) 05143786AA Actuator, Transfer Case

STAR Case
This document does not authorize warranty repairs. This communication documents a record of past experiences. STAR Center
Online does not provide any conclusions about what is wrong with the vehicle. Rather, it captures all previous cases known that appear
to be similar or related to the vehicle symptom / condition. You are the expert, and you are responsible for deciding on the appropriate
course of action.
Chrysler Group LLC Contact the STAR Center for assistance if no solution is found Version 05/23/13
NOTE: THE ACTUATOR IS SHIPPED IN THE PROPER 4WD HIGH RANGE LOCATION.
THE ACTUATION STUB SHAFT ON THE T-CASE (NOT THE ACTUATOR) NEEDS
TO BE INDEXED TO THE PROPER POSITION IN ORDER TO INSTALL THAT
ACTUATOR. DO NOT DRIVE THE SHIFT MOTOR WITH A BATTERY TO ALIGN
THE ACTUATOR POSITION WITH THE T-CASE POSITION. THE T-CASE
ACTUATOR STUB SHAFT SHOULD BE MOVED (CAREFULLY WITH CHANNEL
LOCK PLIERS) TO ALIGN WITH THE ACTUATOR.
Repair Procedure:
1. Replace the actuator. Refer to the procedures identified in the appropriate Service Information
for additional information.
2. Perform a key cycle (Key ON and then key OFF). Allow sufficient time for the FDCM and the
entire vehicle bus to go to sleep. To be sure the entire vehicle bus to go to sleep, disconnect
all diagnostic tools from the vehicle, turn off the key, and remove key from the ignition. Close
all doors. Wait 5 minutes.
3. After performing the key cycle, DO NOT attempt to shift the transfer case using the customer
switch. This will prevent the C140F fault from clearing later.
4. Re-connect the diagnostic tool and cycle the key ON.
5. Select the FDCM, and issue the clear faults command two times. It is required to issue the
clear faults command twice.
6. After approximately 6 seconds, the C140F fault will de-mature to a “Stored” status. Confirm
that the diagnostic tool reports that the C140F fault is in a stored status (not “Active”). If after
30 seconds the fault is not in a stored status, return to step 3 and try again.
7. Once the C140F fault is in a stored status, perform one additional “Clear Faults” command.
This will completely remove the fault from the FDCM memory and return the 4WD system to
an operational status.
8. Perform a T-Case range shift to confirm that the 4WD system will shift to 4WD Low Range.
Shift the T-Case back to 4WD High Range. Repair complete.

Last edited by ozjeepster; 02-01-2014 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-01-2014
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks Oz for the info. I actually took a copy of that star case to my dealer when I booked it in last time & my invoice said(yes I paid) if reoccurring recommend replacing the transfer case actuator, they haven't gotten back to me yet.

If I have no luck l will be coming for a drive to Coff's to get some proper service
Old 03-01-2014
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 846 Times in 474 Posts

Hi Ozjeepster,
Are all dealers sent this Starcase information?It appears if they are some service advisors are not reading it.All dealers should have been given or have sourced this information and the vehicle owner should not have to take a copy in like Clarky and then be charged for a service that should be free!!(ask for a refund)I am comming down to Coffs next week to get another opinion on the whine in my WH!!But thats another story.
Old 03-01-2014
It's a JK Thing ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjm View Post
Hi Ozjeepster,
Are all dealers sent this Starcase information?It appears if they are some service advisors are not reading it.All dealers should have been given or have sourced this information and the vehicle owner should not have to take a copy in like Clarky and then be charged for a service that should be free!!(ask for a refund)I am comming down to Coffs next week to get another opinion on the whine in my WH!!But thats another story.
Unfortunatly i havnt had a Starcase come accross the front end , they are released by tech support to provide info on possible causes when all other avenues have been eliminated , but this one had been compiled from info collected from all over this mudball , so what info do u have on your whine .
Old 03-01-2014
Lowranger Shocker

Hi OzJeepster,
This whine was pointed out to Frizelles Southport in Sept.Then took it to Frizelles Lismore because its closer.The whine can be heard in or out of gear ,in neutral it starts at around 1500rpm and you can rev the motor up to about 2100rpm when it is worse then it seems to go.Manually change box and you get the whine when you hold it at the above revs.It is engine revs related .So far a halfshaft has been replaced,new hydraulic fan fitted.Serp Belt has been taken off ,noise seems to be still there,all though I would like to do the belt off test again.2 weeks ago the electronic sensors were set up on the vehicle however only two pickups were working.Mechanic thought sound comming up through oil filter so new filter and oil .No change.I have had a couple of transmission guys drive it as I suggested it may be auto related ie autotrans pump or torque convertor.This has not been fully dismissed yet..This whine can only be heard in the vehicle seems loudest in drivers seat.Can not be heard under bonnet however there is a whine when stethascope put on the pwr strg fluid tank.Worse than a dripping tap.!!All this is under warranty.Have driven two other WH ,no whine. Lismore has told me that FC has told them its PROBABLY NORMAL it aint normal.Any help appreciated.
Old 03-01-2014
It's a JK Thing ;)

Sounds like a hard bastard to nail so I aint even gunna try to diagnose it hear lol if it comes to coffs ill give it my best shot but if it turns out to trans related we wont touch it we would sub any repair work out to Saddletons hear in coffs as they really know there shit , unfortunately we are not tooled up for in depth trans jobs .
Old 03-01-2014
Lowranger Shocker

Hi OzJeepster
I think it is a hard one !! I am an ex mechanic and its got me stumped.As I said,if possible will bring it down to the dealership and somebody can take it for a drive with me . I dont think Lismore do much Jeep stuff.and now I think its all beyond them.I took it to Saddletons for a Trans oil change and filter.How ever it was making the whine before then.Also taken it to Russells on the GC he thinks its 50-50 it may be trans.They put in Valvoline TransMax fluid in these Merc boxes.Think Saddleton put it in mine also..Also changed air filter in case that was making the noise.
Post New Thread  Reply