Grand cherokee pics share them (ZJ/WJ) - Page 214 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-08-2020
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 132 Times in 89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian D View Post

Just 4-5 meters from this I planned to exit the ravine. The front tires did not bite to pull me out, so struggled for an hour, back and forth, with the car flexed up and at one point the rear ARB started to leak. It was still locked and eventually I got out of the ravine. No more leaks on flat ground.

I guess that being flexed, reversing (it pushes the ring gear away from the pinion) up on the side of the ravine and a weak aluminum housing allowed the carrier to move and leak.

Guess who's getting a rear truss and a stronger diff cover? I thought I could get away because I had small tires....
Was just reading about ARBs leaking on facebook, think i should also get a better cover and truss
Old 30-08-2020
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 233 Times in 190 Posts

Was it a post on the WJ advance builders group? Then it was mine
Going through posts on pirate, it seems like a combo of aluminum housing, reversing up and being flexed caused the leak. Having co2 for actuation chilled the o-rings when leaking and then leaked until they warmed up again, that's my only explanation.

Flex ditch is 5 minutes from home, so test coming up, going forward this time, instead of back. I had it flexed before, going forward, with zero issues.

Last edited by Adrian D; 31-08-2020 at 02:23 AM.
Old 31-08-2020
CrawlerStar

Yeah, think it was that post had mine in for around a year and don't recall any leaking issues while flexed, but haven't gone forward and back very often to get it bound up.
Old 31-08-2020
Lowranger Shocker

Testing: I closed off the CO2 and left the setup only with what is in the lines when playing around in my test ditch (deep enough that 2 wheels are in the air and slightly uphill, not do-able without a locker). Crawled 3 times forward, once backwards, no pressure loss in the system. I even left it flexed for a couple of minutes to walk around and listen for leaks.

Never had an issue with mine up to that point either. And I think I was 30 minutes in the struggling when it leaked. Locked all the time, too. Having CO2 instead of air did not help, as once it started leaking, it cooled the o-rings, shrinking them.

As far as I know, in reverse, low pinion rear axles and high-pinion front axles will push the ring gear away from the pinion, causing all sorts of flex in the casing.

http://www.jantz4x4.com/jantz.php?p=...olts&mid=jlbig

I remember seeing load bolts in some other high-end Dana 60's and there's a video from Carl Jantz showing that the ring gear deflection is huge in reverse.

Anyway, it's usually not an issue on the D44a, the ARB is sensitive to it only.

D30's also leak:
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gene...when-bind.html

And I remember some complaining that some Land Rover axles would leak because of case flex.

Moral of the story is, if the line isn't ok the first 3 attempts, try another line....

The leak started after I backed up my rear left wheel up on the bank, so yeah...uphill, reverse, flex. Touch wood the only damage is a scraped rear bumper
https://youtu.be/kjP_DwRWoKA

Last edited by Adrian D; 31-08-2020 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02-09-2020
CrawlerStar

Funny you mention the land rover axles, my brother has a range rover that has the hand brake on the gearbox, when he pulls it on while driving the pinion skips on the ring gear
Old 02-09-2020
Lowranger Shocker

Whoaaa, I guess in that case it would load it like driving in reverse, so the ring gear gets pushed away from the pinion.

Since my birthday is very close, I pulled the trigger on a rear truss (ironman4x4fab - looks like the Clayton one, for 60 USD less) and diff covers (diyfabparts has both, un-welded, for 75 USD each).

From the great Carl Jantz himself, cases flex, gears push apart etc etc:
https://www.pirate4x4.com/threads/ja...und-box.958047

Aluminum housings flex even more:
https://www.pirate4x4.com/threads/pu...#post-44374268
Old 21-10-2020
I just registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Here is my still in progress -03 Grand Cherokee. Not offroading so all my mods and doings are aiming to better driving on road and fixing things and adding some goodies.

Post New Thread  Reply