Grand Willys Project - Page 216 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 24-06-2019
I just registered

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 24-06-2019
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

It's looking very nice Marcus, seems like yesterday that you finished the chassis though. When does the 6" lift and 35's go on

I'm looking forward to seeing the front clip and the tray installed to see what it looks like as one entity.

Jason
Old 25-06-2019
AJOR Gold

Liked 44 Times in 37 Posts

Amazing work Marcus, amazing.
Old 25-06-2019
LokRinger

Liked 1,762 Times in 558 Posts

Many thanks for all the comments guys. This is the oldest thread on the build and some of you have been watching it since day one!

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club
Old 29-06-2019
LokRinger

I have got the other guard on and hung the grille. As some have noticed, the front tower brace is not going to clear.

Angling down the front by nearly 2 degrees dropped the grille 50mm-1" and lost 14mm-9/16"of clearance over the front brace. So wouldn't have cleared anyway.

The rear is the factory placement and the top was angled downward to clear the donor bonnet. Can see placing another rear one on the front, by turning it backwards, made that angle worse.

With the front one off it actually clears due to the thickness of the leading edge of the bonnet over the grille.

Thought I might as well gain a bit more by leaning back the brace to make it parallel with the bonnet line.

I made a cut behind the some mounting holes, as I want to weld those up anyway along with two others, and pulled the brace back.

I then cut the front one off its mounting plates and turned it around. Then lowered it and lent it back until it was parallel with the rear one. The level is sitting at the same angle and height as the bonnet will be. Clears by 17mm-5/8".

I lowered the front brace 19mm-3/4" in total and spread it out so it sat in the same spot as before on the mounting plates. The front brace does help as I had 1mm of deflection in the towers from fully loaded to unloaded, with the weight of the suspension and wheels and tyres pulling down on them, with the rear one only fitted. Once I added the front one there was no defection at all. I may still add a brace under both of them and will link them also with a dimple holed sheet metal piece across the top.

We are assembled! I even got out the Willys stamped front bumper out to checkout the look. I will still run it under the grille even though the grille is 50mm-2" deeper than stock and also the front guard rake giving another 25mm-1". I will bolt it directly to the subframe.

I have raised the front 50mm-2" so the chassis is dead level so I can start building the frame mounts for the body. Looks alright at this height too! I will not be running these wheels or tyres! The tyres are 29.5" tall, (245/65R17), and will go to a 30.5", (245/70R17), or even a 31.5", (245/75R17). Should be alright still on gearing with the 3.73 ratios and the fact it will be around 500kgs lighter than the donor wagon without all the weight of the rear doors, hatch and all the carpet and insulation and such.

Wife was not as keen on the looks of the grille without any of the cross bars. They came with none on the 47-50 flat nose versions, or 3 or 5 bars depending on the year for the 50-65 ones. Maybe just one 'floating' bar in the middle will work? I don't want to cover the top and bottoms of the iconic grille slots.

This is the money shot for me.

My web site:
Old 29-06-2019
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

Looking good, I think it needs some taller rubber too.

Are you starting to feel like you're getting closer to the end?

Jason
Old 30-06-2019
LokRinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodgie View Post
Looking good, I think it needs some taller rubber too.

Are you starting to feel like you're getting closer to the end?

Jason
Only panel wise I seem to be getting there, but still so much to do. Just as well I'm not in a hurry.

My web site:
Post New Thread  Reply