What did you do to your XJ today? 1M Views - Page 2271 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-06-2015
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 46 Times in 34 Posts

Finally got around to tinkering with my jerp.

"Fixed" the NSS with a paper clip until i can get the bping thing out, guides ive looked at say i have to take it 'straight out' but it wont budge.
Readjusted the handbrake back up but its not a very good design stock to have all that pressure on one bolt that has no locking ability or a bolt/bracket on the other side so ill have to redesign jeeps wonderful engineering on that one.

apart from that still same old hopefully get around to fixing ALL the other issues.

Still cuts out for 30min when HOT as in hot HOT but if i dont push it at redline for 2 hours its fine

Also water heals jeeps who knew?
Old 02-06-2015
CrawlerStar

Liked 75 Times in 44 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Got it serviced today by a local mechanic who has a lot of experience with Jeeps.

Got the thumbs up on him looking good and working well.

He reckons diffs might need some work in the future but still good to go for now. Might have a look into putting lower ratios (4.11's I think) in at some point but I believe that is a pretty big job.....
9000lb Winch
Old 03-06-2015
Full Flexer

Liked 117 Times in 56 Posts

So anyone in Melbourne selling a starter motor? Think 300k might be long enough for this housing...
Old 03-06-2015
AJOR Silver

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default What did you do to your XJ today ?

I bought one of these starters and am very happy with it. Payed the express freight and received it the next day , store is based in Thomastown , Victoria
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261265581425

Last edited by Wally3218; 03-06-2015 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-06-2015
Established Member

Liked 218 Times in 109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrax573 View Post
Got it serviced today by a local mechanic who has a lot of experience with Jeeps.

Got the thumbs up on him looking good and working well.

He reckons diffs might need some work in the future but still good to go for now. Might have a look into putting lower ratios (4.11's I think) in at some point but I believe that is a pretty big job.....
You might surprise yourself if you do some research. I looked at rebuilding my rear only and found the pieces on RockAuto for about $200 US. I could be wrong, but it might be cheaper than you think if you look hard enough.
Old 04-06-2015
Established Member

Liked 218 Times in 109 Posts

Pulled the headliner out and removed the material that was hanging down. Ended up painting the headliner backing "cammo" green to make it look better. Much easier than I thought.

After paint, looks much better installed than sitting on the ground.

Also fixed my elusive starter fuse blowing problem. Found the wires in the hatch completely severed.

The fixed product.

Old 04-06-2015
CrawlerStar

Liked 75 Times in 44 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernicious View Post
You might surprise yourself if you do some research. I looked at rebuilding my rear only and found the pieces on RockAuto for about $200 US. I could be wrong, but it might be cheaper than you think if you look hard enough.
Hmmm a quick look at rockauto gives me $195 for replacement ratios for front D30 and $185 for replacement ratios for rear D35.

I did notice that the front are listed at 4.10 ratio and the rear is 4.11. I hope that the 0.01 ratio difference doesn't affect the handling/performance etc etc?

Is it just those parts I would need to swap the gearing out and just get a diff rebuild kit while I am at it to make sure the diffs are in the best condition etc?

Remember that i'm only running 30" tyres but I do tow my camper around and I may move up to 31" in the future if I need to, although I haven't needed it yet as the current setup just eats whatever I have put in front of it so far
9000lb Winch
Post New Thread  Reply