Lift and Tyres of your JK - Page 23 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-08-2010
TJ DRIVER

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stJeep View Post
This is gonna be a long read.. so for those that can't be bothered, it says DBOR is great and so is the Poly Performance Touring Kit. And it is easy for novices to install. end abridged section.....

I spent weeks researching what was the best suspension set up to suit my needs. Thanks to everyone that answered my PM's and numerous questions. I can honestly say (and thanks Wooders for the quote) Opinions are like A...holes.. everyone has one! But seriously, thanks to all.

My JK is not my daily drive, so comfort was not necessarily high priority. I wanted mostly to get the steering dampener out of the way as well as fix the terrible highway handling I was experiencing with the Old Man Emu set up. When I first ordered the car I was expecting to use the car for daily drive so didn't want anything too "hard core" (I know Bill hates that phrase), just something to get the butt off the ground and give me enough room for taller rubber. Overall I was extremely pleased with the lift the OME kit gave, the stance was good and the 285's fitted neatly. But on the drive back to Sydney from Melb, it became apparent that not a lot of R&D went in to this "kit". The car would float around and there was basically no feel through the tiller. I initially put it down to a "Jeep thing" until I drove somebody else's unmodified ride. It was 10 times better than my "improved" ride.

About this time, work changed and I needed to do 3.5 hour round trips to show up. So I decided to use the sensible Fiesta to do that, leaving the JK on the driveway for the weekends.

Already suffering a sore belly from laughing at my missus trying to get in the Jeep, I thought it was safer for me, if I didn't lift it any higher so I started to look at lifts no more than 3". Towards the end it boiled down to two. The AEV Nth Degree & Rubicon Express. I searched online and on AJOR for about a week for guys that had these kits. Of course most spoke highly of their choice. The AEV kit got the "final" nod from her in doors and I was about to place the order. Noting that the kit from AEV did nothing to relocate the dampener, I wrote to DBOR to enquire if their relocation kit would work with the AEV. Immediately Bill wrote back and said "Should fit no prob. Just some feedback why the AEV and not ours?". I went on to explain that it had been recommended highly (and put my foot in my mouth about who.. sorry).
I explained to Bill that I was after a "kit" and that through the many times I have trawled their website, I found it confusing to know exactly which parts of the suspension I actually needed to form a complete set up. A "kit" would make it far easier for not so mechanical people like me to buy.
Shortly after Bill responded with 4 kit options and his recommendation based on my criteria. The "Touring Kit" he suggested was "worth the extra $50". My next question was, where to get it installed. I haven't raised a tool in anger since my early days as a fitter at Brown Davis. So I wasn't too confident. Bill (as did others) encouraged me to DIY, that I'd learn something!
So I ordered the 3" Touring Kit. The missus asked if I could put some side steps on... "No!!!!" was my quick reply. This is not a shopping car. But we compromised with a set of DBOR's PP DIY Weld on side rails.. Not sure it will help her cause! So with order placed we had a small problem. Going to be a three week wait for the coils... "but we have the 4.5's in stock". mmm now I have committed to going to Jambo, I didn't want to show up there on my OME set up. Bill twisted my arm and convinced me all the cool kids are going to 4.5".

Right, within a few days I had a 140Kg delivery. Luckily all fitted in to the back of the JK for the ride home. Not being one to wait I got started that night. First I thought I'd tare the stock flares off (I bought some of the DBOR Flatty's too). This would give me more room to work on the car.. The fitting system for the flares are a major PITA. Nutserts or Rivnuts are not for the faint hearted. I managed to get a few in using the supplied "tool" basically one of the nut and bolts from the flares. But it took me 5 hours in the end just to get one flare on. As I said earlier, it's been a while since I was on the tools. Anyway gave up on that and decided to order a proper tool. There's are thread on that.

Night 2. Lower Control Arm installation. I'd read a few build threads that said you need two people for this.. I don't have any friends so had to do it myself! I used some ratchet straps on the diffs to the rear and front bars respectively. This held them in place when I took off and replaced each LCA one at a time. Confidence was booming as this part was quite easy. Only a little bit of swearing. The missus, camped in a deck chair watching proceedings couldn't believe how well behaved I'd been. Proud of the nights achievements I retired for the night at a few past midnight (good name for a book).

Night 3. Stripped all the stock coils, shocks & drag link off. Glad that our local autoshop is open late, I didn't have any spring compressors. Took about two hours to get everything off. Eager to get it done by the weekend I started putting on the Front Track Bar Relocation bracket. Damn Yankees had packed the wrong size U bolt. Bill put one in overnight mail. No drama though, pinched one from the Rear Track Bar Relocation kit for now. Again, surprisingly easy to put on, instructions I had were the US ones, so didn't make sense. Luckily DBOR had put the instructions in the box for the people that drive on the correct side of the road. I didn't follow them completely and attached the track bar. I only realised this when I was attempting to put springs in and could get enough droop on the axles to get them in, even with the compressors wound up as tight as I dared do them. So quickly rectifying my mistake, I got the springs in. Side by side on the ground the PP springs were about 2 inches taller than the OME's.
Soon after I had the shocks in and the brake line extenders on. Still not sure if they are the right way up.. but you may laugh at me if / when you see me.

Night 4. Again, beyond the call, Bill posted me his 7/8th drill bit. This is required to enlarge the hole to accomodate the new draglink. I was at this stage shitting myself! But again, it was a piece of p1ss. The adapter slotted in, the draglink on top of it, tightened up and done. I was amazed at how well this was going! I then fitted the PP dampener in to it's new relocated and out of the way spot. It's very important at this stage to make sure it doesn't strike the pumpkin. So I did lots of raising and lowering of the jack, turning the wheels etc. Got it in to a spot that seems OK. Dawned on me then that this may change when it's on the ground. By the end of Night 4, the front end was complete, apart from the torquing up. This is to be done when everything is fitted and on the ground.

Night 5, The ars3 end. This is the bit that was stressing me the most. There was cutting to be done. I'm normally good with demolition, but I was worried about hurting the Jeep! First the stock track bar bracket needs to be sliced and diced. I dusted off the ryobi and set to work. My 8 year old thought it was hilarious that my hair was smoking. I decided I better use the grinder the other way around. Anyway, yet again, it went much smoother than I had feared. It was over in a matter of minutes (insert joke). I attached the new bracket, including using the replacement U bolt Bill had sent the day before. I didn't reconnect the track bar this time! Removed and replaced the bump stop things and put the springs in, the rears were much easier to put in. I guess because there's not as much stuff in the way. Next was the shocks. Another bit I had been worried about. But now full of confidence I cut the old shock mounts off, got the new lower shock brackets mounted, marked where to cut the LCA mounts and sliced them off. Instant extra inch of ground clearance! It was already after midnight but I was so close to getting the wheels back on, I pushed on. I put the rear brake brackets on did a final bolt check on everything and put the wheels on. Very gingerly I put it on the ground.. Not having the greatest of confidence in my workmanship I was sh1tting my pants waiting for it to do that cartoon car thing where all four wheels collapse out to the sides. But bugger me, it was down and safe. Holy Christ! It's high. Measurement taken to the bottom of the slider pre lift was 510mm. With the new, 608mm! I expect it to settle but hell.. what is "her in doors" going to say?? Big smile on my face I retired at 1am.

Day 6 (Saturday). Torque the bolts. I had an appointment at my mates Tyrepower to get an alignment at 930. So I was up early and still smiling. Got the trusty kinchrome torque wrench out and went to work. Did every bolt twice.. Paranoid! Now for the first test drive.. Up and down the street at 20km/h.. Steering was way off centre, sorted that out, stopping several times in the street to get out and adjust. Neighbours must have been impressed. It was still 6am. Once the steering was straight it was time to go for a proper test. F..k me, the steering is awesome. Better than stock. The ride is firm and definitely feel more of the road. Not a bad thing! Bloody hell, it's high. I struggle to get my fat ars3 in! The missus is not impressed. The side rail install must be fast tracked!

So overall, I am still smiling. I keep looking out to the driveway and loving everything I see. I couldn't believe how many looks I was getting today. Not that I am a show pony but it felt good to get attention for the good reasons for a change! My mate who did the alignment berated me for not doing the upper arms too.. Something about pinion etc.. I'll find out more on that one. Enlighten me anyone please!

Bill from Double Black Off Road has been fantastic. I can't thank him enough. He responded to every email and call from me with total professionalism. And trust me, I emailed him a lot with dumb ass questions! Most late at night too, and they were answered almost immediately. DBOR will be extremely successful with this attitude to customer service. Don't forget us when you go large Bill. THANKS MATE!

Again, Big Thanks to everyone that contributed to my research. This site and members truly are a great community.
how was the caster when you aligned it ?
Old 28-08-2010
TJ DRIVER

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i set them differently depending on what size tyres are fitted .
Old 28-08-2010
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
This is gonna be a long read.. so for those that can't be bothered, it says DBOR is great and so is the Poly Performance Touring Kit. And it is easy for novices to install. end abridged section.....

snip

Already suffering a sore belly from laughing at my missus trying to get in the Jeep, I thought it was safer for me, if I didn't lift it any higher so I started to look at lifts no more than 3". Towards the end it boiled down to two. The AEV Nth Degree & Rubicon Express. I searched online and on AJOR for about a week for guys that had these kits. Of course most spoke highly of their choice. The AEV kit got the "final" nod from her in doors and I was about to place the order. Noting that the kit from AEV did nothing to relocate the dampener, I wrote to DBOR to enquire if their relocation kit would work with the AEV. Immediately Bill wrote back and said "Should fit no prob. Just some feedback why the AEV and not ours?". I went on to explain that it had been recommended highly (and put my foot in my mouth about who.. sorry).
Well done on the lift there 1stJeep. Who told you that the steering damper was not relocated with the AEV lift? Because that's rubbish, the PP and AEV lifts relocate it to the same place.

I think I told you when you asked me about mine that it was a close decision between the two brands. For me, the real difference was that when I bought back in June Bill unfortunately couldn't give me a complete kit when I was ready to buy, it was coming soon. All in all glad you are happy with the lift. BTW 3 months on my wife still complains about it being to high.
Old 29-08-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

yeah mega long write up but a good read.

top JK keep up the good work
IPF 900xs
UHF
285/75x16 KM2s
Snorkel
Old 30-08-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:

I spent weeks researching what was the best suspension set up to suit my needs. Thanks to everyone that answered my PM's and numerous questions. I can honestly say (and thanks Wooders for the quote) Opinions are like A...holes.. everyone has one! But seriously, thanks to all.

My JK is not my daily drive, so comfort was not necessarily high priority. I wanted mostly to get the steering dampener out of the way as well as fix the terrible highway handling I was experiencing with the Old Man Emu set up. When I first ordered the car I was expecting to use the car for daily drive so didn't want anything too "hard core" (I know Bill hates that phrase), just something to get the butt off the ground and give me enough room for taller rubber. Overall I was extremely pleased with the lift the OME kit gave, the stance was good and the 285's fitted neatly. But on the drive back to Sydney from Melb, it became apparent that not a lot of R&D went in to this "kit". The car would float around and there was basically no feel through the tiller. I initially put it down to a "Jeep thing" until I drove somebody else's unmodified ride. It was 10 times better than my "improved" ride.

About this time, work changed and I needed to do 3.5 hour round trips to show up. So I decided to use the sensible Fiesta to do that, leaving the JK on the driveway for the weekends.

I explained to Bill that I was after a "kit" and that through the many times I have trawled their website, I found it confusing to know exactly which parts of the suspension I actually needed to form a complete set up. A "kit" would make it far easier for not so mechanical people like me to buy.
Shortly after Bill responded with 4 kit options and his recommendation based on my criteria. The "Touring Kit" he suggested was "worth the extra $50". My next question was, where to get it installed. I haven't raised a tool in anger since my early days as a fitter at Brown Davis. So I wasn't too confident. Bill (as did others) encouraged me to DIY, that I'd learn something!
So I ordered the 3" Touring Kit. The missus asked if I could put some side steps on... "No!!!!" was my quick reply. This is not a shopping car. But we compromised with a set of DBOR's PP DIY Weld on side rails.. Not sure it will help her cause! So with order placed we had a small problem. Going to be a three week wait for the coils... "but we have the 4.5's in stock". mmm now I have committed to going to Jambo, I didn't want to show up there on my OME set up. Bill twisted my arm and convinced me all the cool kids are going to 4.5".

Right, within a few days I had a 140Kg delivery. Luckily all fitted in to the back of the JK for the ride home. Not being one to wait I got started that night. First I thought I'd tare the stock flares off (I bought some of the DBOR Flatty's too). This would give me more room to work on the car.. The fitting system for the flares are a major PITA. Nutserts or Rivnuts are not for the faint hearted. I managed to get a few in using the supplied "tool" basically one of the nut and bolts from the flares. But it took me 5 hours in the end just to get one flare on. As I said earlier, it's been a while since I was on the tools. Anyway gave up on that and decided to order a proper tool. There's are thread on that.

Night 2. Lower Control Arm installation. I'd read a few build threads that said you need two people for this.. I don't have any friends so had to do it myself! I used some ratchet straps on the diffs to the rear and front bars respectively. This held them in place when I took off and replaced each LCA one at a time. Confidence was booming as this part was quite easy. Only a little bit of swearing. The missus, camped in a deck chair watching proceedings couldn't believe how well behaved I'd been. Proud of the nights achievements I retired for the night at a few past midnight (good name for a book).

Night 3. Stripped all the stock coils, shocks & drag link off. Glad that our local autoshop is open late, I didn't have any spring compressors. Took about two hours to get everything off. Eager to get it done by the weekend I started putting on the Front Track Bar Relocation bracket. Damn Yankees had packed the wrong size U bolt. Bill put one in overnight mail. No drama though, pinched one from the Rear Track Bar Relocation kit for now. Again, surprisingly easy to put on, instructions I had were the US ones, so didn't make sense. Luckily DBOR had put the instructions in the box for the people that drive on the correct side of the road. I didn't follow them completely and attached the track bar. I only realised this when I was attempting to put springs in and could get enough droop on the axles to get them in, even with the compressors wound up as tight as I dared do them. So quickly rectifying my mistake, I got the springs in. Side by side on the ground the PP springs were about 2 inches taller than the OME's.
Soon after I had the shocks in and the brake line extenders on. Still not sure if they are the right way up.. but you may laugh at me if / when you see me.

Night 4. Again, beyond the call, Bill posted me his 7/8th drill bit. This is required to enlarge the hole to accomodate the new draglink. I was at this stage shitting myself! But again, it was a piece of p1ss. The adapter slotted in, the draglink on top of it, tightened up and done. I was amazed at how well this was going! I then fitted the PP dampener in to it's new relocated and out of the way spot. It's very important at this stage to make sure it doesn't strike the pumpkin. So I did lots of raising and lowering of the jack, turning the wheels etc. Got it in to a spot that seems OK. Dawned on me then that this may change when it's on the ground. By the end of Night 4, the front end was complete, apart from the torquing up. This is to be done when everything is fitted and on the ground.

Night 5, The ars3 end. This is the bit that was stressing me the most. There was cutting to be done. I'm normally good with demolition, but I was worried about hurting the Jeep! First the stock track bar bracket needs to be sliced and diced. I dusted off the ryobi and set to work. My 8 year old thought it was hilarious that my hair was smoking. I decided I better use the grinder the other way around. Anyway, yet again, it went much smoother than I had feared. It was over in a matter of minutes (insert joke). I attached the new bracket, including using the replacement U bolt Bill had sent the day before. I didn't reconnect the track bar this time! Removed and replaced the bump stop things and put the springs in, the rears were much easier to put in. I guess because there's not as much stuff in the way. Next was the shocks. Another bit I had been worried about. But now full of confidence I cut the old shock mounts off, got the new lower shock brackets mounted, marked where to cut the LCA mounts and sliced them off. Instant extra inch of ground clearance! It was already after midnight but I was so close to getting the wheels back on, I pushed on. I put the rear brake brackets on did a final bolt check on everything and put the wheels on. Very gingerly I put it on the ground.. Not having the greatest of confidence in my workmanship I was sh1tting my pants waiting for it to do that cartoon car thing where all four wheels collapse out to the sides. But bugger me, it was down and safe. Holy Christ! It's high. Measurement taken to the bottom of the slider pre lift was 510mm. With the new, 608mm! I expect it to settle but hell.. what is "her in doors" going to say?? Big smile on my face I retired at 1am.

Day 6 (Saturday). Torque the bolts. I had an appointment at my mates Tyrepower to get an alignment at 930. So I was up early and still smiling. Got the trusty kinchrome torque wrench out and went to work. Did every bolt twice.. Paranoid! Now for the first test drive.. Up and down the street at 20km/h.. Steering was way off centre, sorted that out, stopping several times in the street to get out and adjust. Neighbours must have been impressed. It was still 6am. Once the steering was straight it was time to go for a proper test. F..k me, the steering is awesome. Better than stock. The ride is firm and definitely feel more of the road. Not a bad thing! Bloody hell, it's high. I struggle to get my fat ars3 in! The missus is not impressed. The side rail install must be fast tracked!

So overall, I am still smiling. I keep looking out to the driveway and loving everything I see. I couldn't believe how many looks I was getting today. Not that I am a show pony but it felt good to get attention for the good reasons for a change! My mate who did the alignment berated me for not doing the upper arms too.. Something about pinion etc.. I'll find out more on that one. Enlighten me anyone please!

Bill from Double Black Off Road has been fantastic. I can't thank him enough. He responded to every email and call from me with total professionalism. And trust me, I emailed him a lot with dumb ass questions! Most late at night too, and they were answered almost immediately. DBOR will be extremely successful with this attitude to customer service. Don't forget us when you go large Bill. THANKS MATE!

Again, Big Thanks to everyone that contributed to my research. This site and members truly are a great community.

Before (with 285's)
Attachment 42237

After (with 315's)
Attachment 42238
nice write up as im about to do the same lift.

Why do you use a rachet strap? will the axle move when the other control arms are still attached?

if the jeeps happy i am
Old 30-08-2010
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

It wont move (much - mm or two if that), but if you are putting in a shorter or longer arm than stock then you will need to pull the diff forward or backward slightly to line up the bolt holes whilst the other side is still connected. Its also called being safe rather than sorry...

Or, you could off course just drop both sides at the same time, but you will need wheel chocks on both sides of the wheel and a second person to move the chocks and roll the wheel slightly to help you line up the bolts.

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 30-08-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Axle Strap

Your axle may / will rotate woth either both LCA's or UCA's off. If your shocks are still on, they can bend around the coil tower. if you only do one at a time, it should not move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxon View Post
nice write up as im about to do the same lift.

Why do you use a rachet strap? will the axle move when the other control arms are still attached?